Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Overkill?

Dust Jacket Collector

That's even worse, I dont start for Canada until a couple of days before it ends. I'll stick to cricket I think.

Keith

Even that's a bit of a hairshirt at the moment Keith!

David

Will the fuss be over by Christmas? If so, which year?

D

It will probably all be over by 28th June 1919 2019.

Anne

I know my wife's tolerance of Great War conversation is a maximum of 30 seconds.

God help the Great Uninterested.

As others have said I'm happy with wall to wall coverage.

Is it cheap TV to make?

Don't forget that Paxo has a book to flog as well.

I thought Paxo was some kind of British sage and onion stuffing that tasted bad.

H

I know my wife's tolerance of Great War conversation is a maximum of 30 seconds.

God help the Great Uninterested.

As others have said I'm happy with wall to wall coverage.

Yes, I know the feeling! My husband's tolerance is considerably less!!

Hazel

Is it cheap TV to make?

It will work out that way once every program has been recycled every few months for the whole of the five year period

We're also about to be deluged by an avalanche of War books. There will be some future classics in there but I suspect the vast majority will be merely recycling old material. The Forums book reviewers are going to be kept very busy sorting them out for us!

I'm wondering who is going to be the most unlikeliest 'expert'.

I'm sure that Ant & Dec are having their account of Geordies on the Somme ghost written for them as we speak.

It will work out that way once every program has been recycled every few months for the whole of the five year period

Maybe the BBC will devote a whole channel to it 2/47.

Based on the BBC's Jubilee coverage - 'Fearne Cotton at the Menin Gate' seems on the cards

David

Jamie Oliver on how he could have improved the cooking in the trenches ,thinking back as to how this has all grown like Topsey I was at the 70th at the Menin Gate back in 1988 B.B.C had one reporter from Radio 2 and his helper carrying equipment and less than a 100 at the gate .

A 'Grand Designs' special - Kevin McCloud on German dug-outs on the Somme

David

We're also about to be deluged by an avalanche of War books. There will be some future classics in there but I suspect the vast majority will be merely recycling old material. The Forums book reviewers are going to be kept very busy sorting them out for us!

That suits me just fine, the more books the better, as for the short term interest from the public, I am ok with that too, maybe it will keep the (collectables) prices down.

khaki

I thought Paxo was some kind of British sage and onion stuffing that tasted bad.

H

Goes so well with roast pork and chicken.

[quote name

That suits me just fine, the more books the better, as for the short term interest from the public, I am ok with that too, maybe it will keep the (collectables) prices down.

khaki

I fear prices for rarer items are already rocketing. In the last couple of weeks I've seen copies of Winged Victory & Sagittarius Rising selling for £2300 & £3500 respectively.

I must confess my feelings of dread about aniversaryitus started last year. Virtually everything I anticipated, from hordes of moneymaking books to conferences trotting out the same old war horses we already know and ( mostly) love, and from telefests to politicking has come to pass. The bandwagon is rolling so fast that those who want to stand back seem likely to be given a white feather.

Katie Price's autobiographies (there will be several) of her previous experience as a VAD will be good.

Personally I suspect there is a 99% certainty that much of the TV coverage will be pure unadulterated mawk-fest.

Except that by 1914 one feels that the Count had become a sophisticated and cultured KuK nobleman, an accomplished organ player (Haydn of course),swords man and owner of a large and somewhat unusual library who only had peasants impaled when he was extremely out of sorts. He was probably of great value to his regiment for night operations. [Don't forget Transylvania didn't transfer to Romania until 1919]

After reading C C Humphreys Vlad the last confesion ,have lots of respect for the bloke ,and there was always sound reasoning behind his excesses, and some real method in his madness, and lots of bad press from the Germans who had set up business in his kingdom,and any way the big impaling event only involved already condemed criminals and detered Turkish incursions for a fair time so saved far more lives than he took ,if you get the point.

I have dark suspicions about funding. Many bodies which receive public funding are probably obliged to earn that funding by showing that they are providing benefit to the population at large, not just to a smallish group of academics, theatre goers and museum regulars. Hence the need to demonstrate inclusivity - In theory every member of the population should be involved in and contribute to the commemoration of the centenary. Every local council will be organising projects and school programmes. Footfall will be monitored.

The 2,500 hours of programmes on the BBC reminded me of a well known professor of Holocaust Studies who calculated the massive number of man hours it would need (well beyond one student's life time) to peruse every item conserved in the holocaust archive.

My immediate reaction was that being in my 70s, I cannot spare 2,500 hours of my remaining life to absorb and react to the centenary projects.

And however interested my children and grand children may be, and however fascdinated they were on their school trip to the Somme - I do not think any of them will sacrifice their other daily occupations and interests to watch hours of World War 1 on the TV.

I have dark suspicions about funding. Many bodies which receive public funding are probably obliged to earn that funding by showing that they are providing benefit to the population at large, not just to a smallish group of academics, theatre goers and museum regulars. Hence the need to demonstrate inclusivity - In theory every member of the population should be involved in and contribute to the commemoration of the centenary. Every local council will be organising projects and school programmes. Footfall will be monitored.

The 2,500 hours of programmes on the BBC reminded me of a well known professor of Holocaust Studies who calculated the massive number of man hours it would need (well beyond one student's life time) to peruse every item conserved in the holocaust archive.

My immediate reaction was that being in my 70s, I cannot spare 2,500 hours of my remaining life to absorb and react to the centenary projects.

And however interested my children and grand children may be, and however fascdinated they were on their school trip to the Somme - I do not think any of them will sacrifice their other daily occupations and interests to watch hours of World War 1 on the TV.

There is somewhere between "little" and "nothing" with which I would disagree there.

I note that over each of the last two days there have been more than 30 new members sign up to this forum. That's approximately a new battalion of researchers every month. If remembrance is the aim, this must be a good thing, and I'm sure that the television coverage must have played a major part.

Interest will shift to the 75th anniversary of WW2?

I wish. Apart from the 70th anniversary of DDay engaging media and even some areas of academe has been an uphill struggle after the 1914 tidal wave.