Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Overkill?

Dust Jacket Collector

Sitting here with the latest copy of Radio Times (Paxo on the cover in the guise of Lord Kitchener) with its announcement of 2,500 hours of programming, I'm wondering if there's a danger that the general public will be bored stiff of the War long before the first Centenary arrives. I don't think I've seen a single BBC programme in the last few weeks that hasn't been followed by a trailer for Paxo's War. Without wishing to insult anyone, it's well known that people's interest in any topic rapidly wanes after the initial burst of enthusiasm and it would be tragic if by the time that the later battles are commemorated indifference had set in.

Personally I'd be more than happy if the entire schedule were given over to the War (apart from the odd game of Footy) but others may not share this degree of enthusiasm.

Yes, I'm beginning to think that war weariness may set in well before the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of war. One problem is that people seem determined to cram all the commemorating in this year rather than over the five year period the war lasted.

I can't really work out why it has all started so early. Are the winter TV and radio schedules, and newspaper columns, so threadbare at this time of year that the Great War is useful filler? Will the interest level will be sustained for another seven months before we even approach the real anniversary dates?

I watch very little television, and I definitely don't plan to spend many additional hours in front of the box during the next five years. If I miss any real gems, I'll find out about them on here, and hopefully pick them up on Iplayer. It really is crazy; if many of the dedicated are already half way turned off, think what it will do to the rest.

Keith

I agree. My thinking as to why they aren't holding on until the summer is because it's a World Cup summer. Many peoples (including mine) brains stop functioning normal and can only focus on one thing for about a month at this time. Also so many of us who have studied WW1 in-depth and have forged a career in museums, heritage, teaching etc. have been waiting years for this centenary and now that we are in the calendar year everyone is blowing their loads before we are getting to the more poignant dates. If anything perhaps people have been too prepared?

And there is there website offering too, which will cover in more depth the programs, I posted a new topic herehttp://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=205621&hl= I shall be checking it regularly, I might have to add another 4TB to my home server!

A football world cup as well. That's a two week or do they drag it out even longer, vow of abstinence from all broadcast media. I hope it falls when I am out in the middle of nowhere when I won't even be tempted by the net.

Keith

Like a few here i can recall the run of 50ths for the Great War and yes we had that series on TV ,a few books Airfix had a few model kits out the odd musical and movie but that was it and the veterans 65+ and every where ,infact cant even recall the IMW doing much ,now it seems to be a band wagon and some clearly see it as a money making period as well.

The first big aniversary date that the B.B.C. and people jumped on i recall was the 40th for the D Day Landings .

Just lie back, think of England and it will all soon be over.

What would be good is a competition to see who can get the most outrageous wind up letter printed in a newspaper. I have several planned.

Just lie back, think of England and it will all soon be over. What would be good is a competition to see who can get the most outrageous wind up letter printed in a newspaper. I have several planned.

That sounds like fun ,am sure we can find a 120+year old veteran for the Daily Mail somewhere?

We have already had that really excellent TV offering of "The Wipers Times" (Ian Hislop et al) a couple of months ago; I wonder if, a couple of years and several hundred WW1 TV documentaries/dramas later, we will still be looking back on The Wipers Times as the best of the lot......... :whistle:

William

I am in agreement with Chris in that I can't understand why it has started so early, but William's post reminds me of how much I enjoyed The Wipers Times which was certainly not too early for me. I do hope Marks' observations that war weariness may set in well before the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the war does not materialize, although I fear he may well be correct. For my part, I agree with Dust Jacket Collector in that I would be happy if the entire schedule was given over to the Centenary - if programmes were excellent I will thoroughly enjoy, if not will press the off button!

Anne

It's when I see the first TV ad for Maconochie's Stew that I'll know things have gone too far.

I'm not sure about the general public being bored: I'm utterly ennuied-out already. As I said before ... Please God, make it stop.

The One Show had an excellent short piece on the shelling of Hartlepool tonight featuring Jeremy Paxman and including a charming lady who was age 7 when the German bombardment occurred. Sadly she died in November 2013 and if this was an example of “overkill” then bring it on!. I agree entirely with the comments expressed about Ian Hislop and his “Not Forgotten” series will be a hard act to follow but for the little I have so far seen of Jeremy Paxman he may well be up to the mark.

Norman

Could it be that many WWI documentaries are being shown in early 2014 because from September the documentary makers will switch to the 75th anniversary of WWII, where there still are veterans available to interview?

A football world cup as well. That's a two week or do they drag it out even longer, vow of abstinence from all broadcast media. I hope it falls when I am out in the middle of nowhere when I won't even be tempted by the net.

Keith

A month. 12th June - 13th July.

Mick.

That's even worse, I dont start for Canada until a couple of days before it ends. I'll stick to cricket I think.

Keith

I have too agree with Dust Jacket Collector.......I have been paying my respects quietly for the last 24 yrs ( since I could afford the ferry etc )

People will get fed up, there will be good and bad coverage, people will make money out of the Centenery , but most important is that after 2018 we carry on as we have done and continue to remember in our own way just as we do now ! Colin

This must be one for the record books, Members (Some) complaining about excessive media coverage of the great war. I must pinch myself this is after all The Great War Forum is it not?

Norman :whistle:

I have too agree with Dust Jacket Collector.......I have been paying my respects quietly for the last 24 yrs ( since I could afford the ferry etc )

People will get fed up, there will be good and bad coverage, people will make money out of the Centenery , but most important is that after 2018 we carry on as we have done and continue to remember in our own way just as we do now ! Colin

Exactly!

This must be one for the record books, Members (Some) complaining about excessive media coverage of the great war. I must pinch myself this is after all The Great War Forum is it not?

Norman :whistle:[/quote

Don't get me wrong, I welcome the increased coverage, but like most members of the Forum I live & breathe the War, whereas to many it's just another piece of history. Hopefully the coming saturation coverage will increase public interest. I just fear that it may be like those TV adverts that seem quite amusing the first few times you see them but by the hundredth time you swear to God you'll never buy that product again.