Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A very wellmade revolver indeed

Spedini

Yes khaki, very nice indeed. I do wonder if one possibility for the M is an inspection stamp for a rework or check over, though many that I've seen use italics. Unless it's Kaiserliche Marine, they used M!

These are obsolete calibre in the UK so can be owned off-ticket as long as there is no intention to shoot.

Cheers,

Tony

It could well be , I have a very good book, Les armes de poing de l'Armee francaise 1858-1998, it's in French so I am unable to read it, its well illustrated but careful examination of the M1873's photo's doesn't reveal a similar stamp. The answer may rest somewhere in the text. The 1873 is prolifically marked with numbering of all parts and numerous inspectors stamps (in a circle). The letter M is not repeated anywhere else on the revolver, so maybe its a final inspection mark. I do note however that the usual Marine mark on French weapons is an anchor and that does not appear.

khaki

Yes khaki, very nice indeed. I do wonder if one possibility for the M is an inspection stamp for a rework or check over, though many that I've seen use italics. Unless it's Kaiserliche Marine, they used M!

These are obsolete calibre in the UK so can be owned off-ticket as long as there is no intention to shoot.

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks Tony,

You make a good point on a rework/check over, however my understanding is that in the case of the M1873, reworks usually involved the mismatching of numbered parts. Hopefully this thread will come to the notice of our French enthusiasts.

khaki

It could well be , I have a very good book, Les armes de poing de l'Armee francaise 1858-1998, it's in French so I am unable to read it, its well illustrated but careful examination of the M1873's photo's doesn't reveal a similar stamp. The answer may rest somewhere in the written material. The 1873 is prolifically marked with numbering of all parts and numerous inspectors stamps (in a circle). The letter M is not repeated anywhere else on the revolver, so maybe its a final inspection mark. I do note however that the usual Marine mark on French weapons is an anchor and that does not appear.

khaki

The Mle 1873 Navy Contract had a letter "M" following the rubric "Mle 1873" on top of the octagonal part of the barrel, all letters being in a flowing style - not really italic.

The Mle 1873 Navy Contract had a letter "M" following the rubric "Mle 1873" on top of the octagonal part of the barrel, all letters being in a flowing style - not really italic.

Thanks SD,

I had a good look, but mine has no such mark, and therefore it can be assumed that whatever it's history is, its not part of a French navy contract.

regards

khaki

• 2 months later...