Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grenadier Guards

colin12

I have a photo of my guy in GG uniform with two wound stripes, but I also have a copy of his SWB card showing it issued to him as in the RE.

Any ideas?

Ali

It sounds like he was subsequently discharged from the RE after being transferred from the Grenadier Guards and was consequently issued an SWB. Does it give a reason for discharge?

Rgds

Ed

Ali

Do you have his MiC?

F Pike

It would be worth checking the BWM/VM medal rolls for further detail.

Rgds

Ed

Hi Ed,

I have his MIC and a copy of the medal rolls after a recent trip to the NA, today I've noticed its online :rolleyes:

His SWB roll has the following for cause of discharge: para 392 XV1A Wounds, being discharged 15.3.19. His unit being listed as Rlys.T.D

The BWM/VM roll has his GG details and an RE no of R.100911.

Does this add anything?

Ali.

• 5 weeks later...

To follow on I found Pike's service record at the NA and now have a bit more info on him. Much of it is usefully only for my family history but his conduct sheet has endeared him to me further, he was confined to barracks for 5 days for failure to salute the Irish Guards CO.

Ali

he was confined to barracks for 5 days for failure to salute the Irish Guards CO

Of all the reasons for being confined to barracks! :D I'll make a note of that one in my database.........

I'd be interested to hear any further information that you might have gleaned from his service papers.

Have you been able to track down a copy of the SWB roll for his discharge from the RE? Do his service papers shed any light on the reason behind his transfer to the RE?

Best wishes

Ed

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - I'm new to this! Does anyone have any info on my great uncle - Pte Harry Selby 14134 2nd Bat Grenadier Guards. We know he was killed 23/10/14.

Thanks alot

Gary