Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grenadier Guards

colin12

Hi All, Can any of you pals tell me when this man enlisted and if possible where:

13457 Pte William Burns Grenadier Guards

Thanks

Colin

Hello Colin

I can tell you that he enlisted in November 1907 but not where I'm afraid. Have you tried the Regimental Archivist at Wellington Barracks? They should have a copy of his service papers.

Kind rgds

Ed

Hi Paul

I maintain a database of just under 10,000 Grenadier Guardsmen who served before and during the Great War. Their regimental numbering (like all of the Guards regiments) is relatively straightforward and thus I'm able to ascertain, usually to within a week or so, their date of enlistment.

Kind rgds

Ed

PS I hasten to add that my database is by no means complete and I'm still in the process of adding more and more soldiers!

Ed ,

What info are you recording? I have a few Grenadier guards in my family research.

PERRETT Ewart 17468 died 14/07/1916 2nd Bn.

PARROTT FRANK HENRY 20174 died 26/10/1915 4th Bn.

PARROTT Harold 12978 died 03/07/1916 1st Bn.

Hangleton,

Is the Guards archive down Birdcage walk and is it public access (by appointment obviously) I go to Birdcage walk now and then so could pop in.

Regards

Leigh

Guest Hangleton

Sorry I don't know - I just sent a letter and asked for the enlistment papers, giving all the info I had, name,number, approx date, battalion, and I enclosed an SAE. I wouldn't think it was likely that you could get them by a personal visit.

Guest Hangleton

"For general Regimental enquiries, such as tracing or research for relatives who served in the Regiment it is now necessary to write to The Regimental Adjutant, Grenadier Guards,Wellington Barracks, Birdcage Walk, London SW1W 6HQ"

That is from the Grenadiers website. It also says there is a charge but it is waived for family research. (They didn't charge me).

PERRETT Ewart 17468 died 14/07/1916 2nd Bn.

PARROTT FRANK HENRY 20174 died 26/10/1915 4th Bn.

PARROTT Harold 12978 died 03/07/1916 1st Bn.

Hello Leigh

I actually try and capture as much biographical information for each soldier that I can and have data fields for most items in my database. The only info. I hold on the above soldiers is the usual SDGW/CWGC details. I can also confirm that Harold Parrott (12978) proceeded to France with the 1st Bn. on 6 October 1914 (as Sgt.; entitled to 1914 Trio).

Approximate enlistment dates for these three would be:

Perrett - 20-25 August 1914

Frank Henry Parrott - First week of November 1914

Harold Parrott - End of November 1906

You might also be interested to know that I came across another Parrott:

Pte. 15055 J. PARROTT.

Joined 1st Bn. in France on 8 November 1914. Entitled to 1914 Trio.

Enlisted January 1911.

Hope the above is of some use. Of course, you should be able to obtain service papers for all of the above - any further information you acquire (or already have!) on these would be gratefully received. :D

Kind rgds

Ed

Ed, Thats all I have at the mo but the next time I go to my Ma's I will have a search. Should be able to come up with a few more facts for you.

My current list only concerns men that died but I will add the man you mention to my database as I know I will start looking at all P*rr*tt's that fought real soon.

Many thanks

Leigh

Sorry to butt in but I too have a relative who was killed with the 4th battalion.

21756 Robert Hamblin DOW 2.2.16 I have quite a bit of information on him but wondered where the battalion was when he was wounded ( he is buried in Calais I would guess near where the hospital must have been) would you be interested in his details as well?

Thanks Ed

Hambo

Hello Hambo

Yes, I would be interested in further information on Pte. Hamblin. Do you have a copy of his service papers? I can tell you that the 4th Bn. moved up to the trenches in front of Laventie on 13 January 1916 where it remained for a fortnight (A 1 Redoubt, Flank Post and Firework Post are mentioned in the history). During this time, the battalion positions were subject to heavy shelling on a daily basis and there were a few casualties. On the 27th January, the battalion returned to Merville for four days but was back in the line at Laventie (Red House Line) on 1 February. It remained here until 15 February. Again, there were a few casualties due to shelling.

As a matter of interest, SDGW records 5 OR's fatalities for the 4th Bn. for the period 1 January - 4 February 1916:

2 x KiA, 1 x DoW - 14 January

1 x DoW - 18 January

1 x DoW - 2 February (your relative).

Hope the above helps.

Kind rgds

Ed

Hello Leigh

Many thanks for the offer of further information - every little scrap of additional detail is much appreciated!

I'll also bear you in mind should I come across any further soldiers named Parrott.

Best wishes

Ed

Thanks for the info Ed, I haven't got his service papers but here is what I have got

Born in Atherton in Lancs

Son of Joseph and Keziah Hambiln of Woods Cottages, East End Road, Stoke Orchard (near Cheltenham)

Was employed as a clerk in the Midland Railway Receiving office Collonade Cheltenham

Enlisted in January 1915 at Leigh in Lancs

DOW 2.2.16 "in a Calais hospital" (don't know if you have any idea as to which one this might have been?)

Buried Calais southern cemetary Plot B Row 3 Grave 1

I have a photo of him but being technologically challenged and not in possesion of a scanner I can't post it. Soon to be in possesion of one, when I will foward a copy if you are interested

Incidently I picked up a copy of a book recently called "Fifteen Rounds a Minute" which is made up of the diary entries of officers of the 2nd battalion from August to December 1914" If you need me to do any look ups, let me know.

Thanks for the details of where they were it really helps complete the picture

Hambo

Ed while your keeping an eye out for Parrott can you keep an eye out for Parrot, Parratt, Parret, parrett, parritt, Perrot, Perrott, Perratt porrit etc etc etc etc :)

Leigh - Will do. I'll run the rest of these surnames through my Grenadier database and report back.

Hambo - Thank you for all the additional information - superb! I would certainly welcome a copy photograph if you are able to get a copy. I would recommend that you contact the Regimental Archivist for a copy of his service papers - as a relative, they normally do this free of charge. If you're lucky, his medical history sheet will record where he was treated.

I already have a copy of "Fifteen Rounds a Minute" but thank you for the kind offer anyway. It's a super book!

Best wishes

Ed

Hi Ed

I seem to have quite a lot of stuff containing info and photographs of Grenadiers. Is it easier to contact you off forum? If so how is this done? It will help when I have a scanner as far as getting photos to you

For instance I have a picture and details of

17576 Private Francis Arthur Hann

1st Battalion KIA 10th September 1916

plus quite a few more, so do let me know

Thanks for the info on Robert, I will contact the regimant and send you a copy of anything I get back

Best regards Hambo

Hello Hambo

I've e-mailed you off forum - let me know on here if you haven't received anything.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Best wishes

Ed

Ed

One of my men served with 1st Bn GG from 07/1901 to 07/1909. He then got caught up a a reservist and was back in France on 13/11/1914. He was transferred to the RE in August 1916 and hence his papers went with him and appear to be lost. I have some more info and photos - would you be interested?

Regards

Andy

Hello Andy

I would indeed! Every bit of information gratefully received. :D

Kind rgds

Ed

did many GG's transfer to the RE, my relative Frederick Pike also transfered to the RE but in December 1918 so his records have also been released from Birdcage walk, (the archivist was very quick in getting back to me with the above details)

Ali

Ed

Drop me an e-mail and we can talk off-forum.

Ali

I have no stats on your question, but all I know is that it was as a result of him being wounded at some stage. He never really recovered and was dead by Jan 1920.

Regards

Andy

I have a photo of my guy in GG uniform with two wound stripes, but I also have a copy of his SWB card showing it issued to him as in the RE.

Any ideas?

Ali

PS sorry to hijack the thread if you prefer to PM me thats fine.

Andy - No problem. I'll be in touch.

Ali - I have seen a number of Grenadiers who have transferred to the RE (and indeed, the Labour Corps); I don't think there is anything particularly unusual in this. I was going to suggest that this was more than likely the result of a medical "downgrading" following wounds/injury/sickness - as is the case with Andy's example!

I will certainly try and provide some stats. from my database.

Kind rgds

Ed