Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New book on Salonika

katb

As of Saturday (Salonika Campaign Society AGM) ... and talking of appreciation, Martin and I would like to thank them, the rest of the committee and guest speaker Peter Doyle for making Saturday such an enjoyable occasion. ...Nice to meet you KatB, and special thanks to Julie Wakefield for manning the reception desk at the pub

I would like to second that. All the best

Dimitri

motion carried unanimously! Thanks, and looking forward to next years

it must have been very cosy in this thread at about 13.33 ;)

Charles

Thanks for the comments on the SCS AGM - I'll pass them on to the rest of the Committee. All I'm waiting for now are the first reviews of the book.

ALAN

Hello Alan,

Congrats on the book. I have read the first few chapters - the landings, battle of Kosturino and susequent retreat. Great stuff and very comprehensive. "My" men, 6th Royal Irish Rifles, get a few mentions, particularly the fact that they caused loads of trouble after arriving back at Salonika! Are there any pictures of the 6th RIR in your archives?

Looking forward to seeing you in Dublin next month - is Simon coming along as well?

I'll let you know what I think when I've finished the entire book!

Regards,

Liam.

Liam

I'm pleased to hear that you are enjoying the book. The Dublin trip is a solo effort by me - although my misses will be coming along as we have some friends who have been living in Dublin for thelast couple of years, so the trip is an ideal chance to catch up with them as well as providing me with another opportunity to talk about Salonika!

See you in a few weeks.

ALAN

Good to see this on the site today:

Remembering Today:

Pte John HICKS, 16660 2 Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers, who died aged 35 on 20.10.17. Sarigol Military Cemetery, Greece

I remember this grave from our visits there. I am glad that this web-site remembers those not historically "fortunate" enough to have lost their lives on the Western Front, unlike some other organisations.

Thank you all for the kind comments about the book.

Simon Moody

Sounds like an interesting book. There is a Pte. Arthur G. Keynes RAMC No.158 on our village memorial who is buried in Salonika Cemetery. Anybody has any info him, it would be greatfully accepted.

But that's not why I joined, does your book cover RFC in Salonika?

I am researching a relative on my partners side who was Lt.Cecil John Reynolds

and was Balloon Officer?/Observer and can find very little about these so called balloonatics. He survived the war and I have a couple of photos of him but that's about all. Nobody in the family knows the whereabouts of his medals either.

As the saying goes 'every little helps'

Thanks in advance

Regards Ian

Hi Ian-

Yes there is a chapter in the book devoted to the Air Operations over Salonika. Sorry can not give you more information as I have not read up to that chapter yet :P . Lt Reynolds sounds like a familiar name, will try and find something out. All the best

Dimitri

Hello Dimitri,

Thanks for the reply. I would be interested in anything you find about

C.J. Reynolds(Obviously!) I will ask at the library next week to see if they have, or are getting, a copy of this book.

Regards Ian.

Dear Ian,

I will check and see if my notes refer to Lt Reynolds; he rings a bell. The Kite Balloon Coy diary is at the National Archives and there is also a document listing the offiers who served on balloons in Salonika. In fact, the balloonatics are quite well documented as some of the aieroplane squadron records did not survive (probably at the bottom of the Med!).

Simon Moody

Hi Simon,

Interesting stuff. Unfortunately I don't know much about his RFC service, Squadron etc. I hired a researcher (well known) who turned up all his army records with the Gloucestershire Regt. but didn't follow up and produce the RFC records, even tho' I told him that he had transfered. Second time this researcher has failed me. Previous time was service records for the Scots Guards. Told me he was unable to locate them and charged me for the pleasure. Later I found out that the Guards Regiments have them. I can't help feeling that he should have known that! We live and learn. I hope something comes up this time. Perhaps it's time to have another go for his RFC records.

Thanks in advance Guys

Regards Ian

Alan and Simon

I am now deep into your book and enjoying it hugely. You really have explained what Salonika was all about and made the campaign come to life. Many congratulations!

Charles M

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Klemen

It was a long-term project and it is great to see it in print. Simon and I are putting in a proposal in the next few weeks to do something similar on Mesopotamia.

ALAN

Under the Devil's Eye is a brilliant book, I read it in one sitting - I had to I was late with the review I was meant to be doing! But the book is a fantastic read, it sums up the nature of the campaign perfectly and does not try and pretend that Salonika was anything other than a tragic waste of life and a distraction to the real war on the Western Front. But that doesn't stop the campaign being interesting and really more of us should make the effort to join the Salonika Campaign Society. And you really couldn't have two more helpful and charming authors - even their girlfriends still quite like them!

Buy your copy on Amazon today - you get a good discount and whoosh there it is at your door!

Pete

What are you after, Hart? <_<

:lol:

Hello, friends

Just want to congratulate the authors of the book. Will try to find it and buy it. Actually Allan told me about this project about a year ago. I am very happy that men of all nations who fought in the mountains and valleys of Macedonia at last receive attention...

All the best

Nikolay

Thanks, Nickolay,

We enjoyed putting it all together. The Bulgarian role in WWI is pretty much forgotten in the west, but we were lucky enough to be able to use Maj Nedeff of the 9th (Pleven) division to give a good idea 'from the other side'. I wonder what other accounts exist in Bulgaria...

Thanks again

Simon Moody

Hi, Simon

On the general history of Bulgarian army's participation:

There is an official history of the Great war prepared by The Military History Commision of The Bulgarian General Staff in 30-40-ies "Bulgarian army in the World war". Of the planned 14 volumes only 6 however saw light: Vol. II-V (detailing operations in Serbia and Macedonia up to the end of 1915) and Vol.VIII-IX (operations in Dobrudga up to 15 October 1916). There is also a good one-volume book (around 600 pages) written by General (ret.) Atanas Hristov- a comprehensive, detailed and readable account. Unfortunately these books were never translated into a foreign language and one has to endeavour passionately to find them in Bulgarian either (could be found only in bibliothecs nowadays).

There have been maybe hundreds other books on one or other aspect of Bulgarian participation- in the first place the regimental histories- I have seen maybe 20 of them..

Best wishes