Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New book on Salonika

katb

Thought memebers interested in this subject - and those who want to know more about the war than just the Western Front - would be interested to know about this book:

Under the Devil's Eye: The British Army in Salonika, 1915-1918, by Alan Wakefield and Simon Moody, published by Suttons

Excellent!

I'm sure that there are a lot of people out there who had relatives serving out there - think most regiments had a battalion out there. This is the first new book on the subject for 40 years!!

Alan, one of the authors is a member of this forum.

Arm.

Guest Hangleton

Just been to the local bookshop and ordered it, expecting them not to have heard of it. To my amazement they already had a copy on order, which I have reserved!

Alan, one of the authors is a member of this forum.

Arm.

Must confess to being engagaed to Simon, the other author!

But I genuinely believe this is an important book about a much neglected area - it may not have been where the war was really won or lost but many people served there and their stories are just as deserving as any other.

Kat,

Aah, come on now!! You never admitted to any lurve interest in your first post. There I was thinking you were an independent student of the campaign and now I discover it's a book written by a love triangle!! :lol:

Regards,

Liam.

Kat,

Just because you want everyone to read Simons dedication ....... now that you've got your name into print .....

I trust he will be signing copies at the Salonika Campaign Society AGM on Saturday before what promises to be an excellent talk on the terrain at Gallipoli and Salonika by Peter Doyle - details under Forthcoming Calendar of Events.

Hope to see you and other pals there.

Martin

lol

Yup - copies will be available at the AGM this Saturday.

Simon and Alan should also be doing a signing at the second day of the National Army Museum's 1914 conference, 7th November.

lol

Yup - copies will be available at the AGM this Saturday.

Simon and Alan should also be doing a signing at the second day of the National Army Museum's 1914 conference, 7th November.

Hi Kat,

Is there no end to your efforts at publicising Simons book :D

I mean you badgered us for days on end at Arnhem the other week to make sure we would all buy it :P

Regards to you and Simon anyway and I shall get the para drop video in the post in the next couple of weeks

Mike

I'm in training to take over from Max Clifford! :D

Looking forward to the video of the drop.

We've got the same birthday!!!!!!!! :o

BTW I have a copy in front of me and it's very nice!

Hello All,

Got my book this morning. I haven't had a chance to have a read yet, but the initial impression is that it is a very comprehensive work. Nice pics too.

And for all the romantics, the personal acknowledgement from Simon to Katb reads as follows "......... and to Katherine, whose understanding, love and support helped me get through the experience"

All toghether now: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh. :D

Regards,

Liam.

I should also mention that there is an equally romantic message from Alan Wakefield to his missus!

Just in case he gets a belt of the rolling pin for not getting a mention of his message on the forum!! :lol:

Regards,

Liam.

Liam,

As of Saturday (Salonika Campaign Society AGM) all was well in the Wakefield houshold, and Mrs W well satisfied with Alan's words of appreciation.

and talking of appreciation, Martin and I would like to thank them, the rest of the committee and guest speaker Peter Doyle for making Saturday such an enjoyable occasion.

Nice to meet you KatB, and special thanks to Julie Wakefield for manning the reception desk at the pub (I can think of worse jobs though..!)

Liam,

As of Saturday (Salonika Campaign Society AGM) all was well in the Wakefield houshold, and Mrs W well satisfied with Alan's words of appreciation.

and talking of appreciation, Martin and I would like to thank them, the rest of the committee and guest speaker Peter Doyle for making Saturday such an enjoyable occasion.

Nice to meet you KatB, and special thanks to Julie Wakefield for manning the reception desk at the pub (I can think of worse jobs though..!)

I would like to second that. All the best

Dimitri

My ears are burning. :unsure:

Hope you enjoy the book. We "encountered" some remarkable characters and stories in compiling it. It could have been much longer.

Simon Moody

Welcome to the Forum Simon.

Does that mean we can expect a sequel? Son of the Devil's Eye?

Whoops!! Three's a crowd!!

katB I like you but..