Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UK Trophy Guns

mtaylor

Took the words from my mouth! The scrappings started almost immediately the guns were given and carried on through the 20s and 30s. I suspect that the majority were gone before WW2 which finished the rest. Only a handful have survived in the UK.

There used to be a German howitzer beside the war memorial in Cranbrook, Kent.

http://en.tracesofww1.com/article/50210/1917-German-Howitzer-and-WW1-plough.htm

Is it still there?

A long time (more than 40 years) ago, one could see (from the top deck of a bus) a WWI era field gun in the garden of a large house at Willesly Pound, on the other side of Cranbrook. I wonder if they are the same gun?

Took the words from my mouth! The scrappings started almost immediately the guns were given and carried on through the 20s and 30s. I suspect that the majority were gone before WW2 which finished the rest. Only a handful have survived in the UK.

The French seem to have been better at keeping theirs but then the Germans took them away after 1940. I think the Americans and possibly the Australians have held onto more.

There used to be a German howitzer beside the war memorial in Cranbrook, Kent.

http://en.tracesofww1.com/article/50210/1917-German-Howitzer-and-WW1-plough.htm

Is it still there?

A long time (more than 40 years) ago, one could see (from the top deck of a bus) a WWI era field gun in the garden of a large house at Willesly Pound, on the other side of Cranbrook. I wonder if they are the same gun?

This is great. It's a 10.5cm leichte Feldhaubitze 98/09. It's currently visible on Google Streetview so I guess it's still there. I couldn't pick it out on a 1920s view of the war memorial on Britain from Above so it may have been moved there from another site - perhaps the house at Willesly Pound? Could anyone help with more info?

Edit: the landships forum http://www.landships.info/landships/artillery_articles/lFH_98_09.html notes that this gun 'belongs to the Royal British Legion (Cranbrook Branch). It was accepted by Cranbrook Parish Council in 1920 as a war trophy, and recently recovered. The 36 Engineer Regiment Workshop REME at Maidstone have now restored this piece.' I wonder how recent was 'recently'? The gun certainly looks to be in excellent condition.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the Beamish gun - I believe there's been some question as to the identification of the gun as it could be one of two manufacturers. I naughtily hopped over the fence this weekend - can't see much but be happy to send the photo over to see if someone can enhance it at all. There appears to be the number 116 separate, the letter R, but unfortunately the last digit of the date is obscured! I think it may be 1918 though. Thick paint has obscured it - could certainly do with a restoration

88mm U19 deck gun can be seen in Ward Park Bangor, Northern Ireland. Presented to the town by the Admiralty to honour deeds of local lad Rear Admiral Edward Barry Bingham VC OBE.

• 1 month later...

This is the 'Archangel Gun' captured from Bolshevik forces on 14th or 15th Sept 1918 by 2/10 Royal Scots. Pics here of the same gun on its arrival in 1919 http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/L6-1RedfordBarracks.htm

Currently at Dreghorn Barracks, Edin but likely to move with 1Scots. Is a 76.2mm M02 Putilov manufactured in 1907. I think IWM may have one too.

post-173-0-75394600-1394731042_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

And another! Yesterday I was told about this one at Tomintoul Museum which is now closed for the winter so I doubt I'll get the background in the near future. Looks like a 7.7cm leichte Fledkanone model 1916. Pic from Undiscovered Scotland at http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/tomintoul/museum/

gun.jpg

The Tutbury Mueseum Have a Maxim -

The Tutbury Parish Council Minutes for 7th June 1920 record that 'the German Machine Gun be deposited at the Boys School if the managers consent' and that 'the German Field Gun be deposited at the Little Bridge on a site lent by Mr. Newton'.

In the Tutbury Village News of July 2010 it was reported how a machine gun was found in the cellar of the Charity House many years ago. This gun is on exhibition at the Museum now (7.92 Maxim, MG08/15 LMG). The Museum holds the original Carrier's note showing that a case of machine guns was sent to the Parish Clerk, by rail (GNR) from ASC officer i/c Transport, Lichfield on 6th May 1920.

-------

The Mr Newton in question would have been my great grandfather, Major Leigh Newton. He served in the RFA during WW1, at Loos, Somme, Arras, before being hit by multiple Gunshots on the eve of Paschadaelle.

• 1 year later...
On 20/01/2014 at 12:42, mtaylor said:

This is great. It's a 10.5cm leichte Feldhaubitze 98/09. It's currently visible on Google Streetview so I guess it's still there. I couldn't pick it out on a 1920s view of the war memorial on Britain from Above so it may have been moved there from another site - perhaps the house at Willesly Pound? Could anyone help with more info?

Edit: the landships forum http://www.landships.info/landships/artillery_articles/lFH_98_09.html notes that this gun 'belongs to the Royal British Legion (Cranbrook Branch). It was accepted by Cranbrook Parish Council in 1920 as a war trophy, and recently recovered. The 36 Engineer Regiment Workshop REME at Maidstone have now restored this piece.' I wonder how recent was 'recently'? The gun certainly looks to be in excellent condition.

Appreciating that this is an elderly post, here is a photograph of The Cranbrook howitzer, taken in August 2016 for anyone who may be interested to see it.

C

Cranbrook Howitzer.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Great photo - thanks for posting. Looks as if the wooden spokes could do with a repaint.  Does anyone know where this gun was 'recovered' from?

On 30/11/2014 at 14:22, Maj HL Newton said:
On 16/12/2013 at 21:55, jay dubaya said:

The Tutbury Mueseum Have a Maxim -

The Museum holds the original Carrier's note showing that a case of machine guns was sent to the Parish Clerk, by rail (GNR) from ASC officer i/c Transport, Lichfield on 6th May 1920.

Do you suppose that Parish Councils are still able to order cases of machine guns nowadays?

Or that 'the rifles and machine guns were distributed to local schools', see rolyboy11's attachment re trophies on Guernsey.

no doubt these were not de-activated!

Mike.

• 6 months later...

Apparently the gun at Achnacarry was originally outside Inverness Castle with another Russian gun but the Russian gun was sold by the council 6-JMB_13_05_2017_12_31_39_0001497101.JPG.6bfe7f0f50df0aead911d20a693c1c91.JPGfor scrap during WWII.  There is going to be some restoration work done on it shortly.

1-JMB_13_05_2017_12_27_33_0001496501.JPG

2-JMB_13_05_2017_12_30_29_0001496701.JPG

3-JMB_13_05_2017_12_30_51_0001496801.JPG

4-JMB_13_05_2017_12_31_10_0001496901.JPG

5-JMB_13_05_2017_12_31_19_0001497001.JPG

Thanks for this. It has deteriorated since I saw it three years ago.  Have tried to impress that should not be 'restored' without taking advice but...

IMG_6684c.jpg

• 2 months later...

Appreciate this is an old topic. There is a gun in a quarry I own in Aberdeenshire,  I'm hoping to drain it soon and locate and retrieve the gun

56 minutes ago, Auquhorthies said:

Appreciate this is an old topic. There is a gun in a quarry I own in Aberdeenshire,  I'm hoping to drain it soon and locate and retrieve the gun

Please keep us up to date with your retrieving of the gun, with photos of before and after Auguhorthies.

Gerwyn

23 hours ago, pioneecorps said:

Please keep us up to date with your retrieving of the gun, with photos of before and after Auguhorthies.

Gerwyn

Some years ago I went to a conference on Lewis.  We had one talk that covered the Ross Mountain Battery that had a distinguished history back into the 19th Century I think.  As the TA was reduced in size they had they complement of guns reduced down to two then one.  So they unofficially made a second gun out of spares.  Eventually they received an order that they were losing their final gun and told to hand it in.  Both guns were taken over on the ferry but on the way across they stopped near a large loch, waited until no traffic in sight and pushed it into the loch.  Some years later there was a very dry Summer and the water level was low.  The police received a call about a gun in the mud at the edge of the loch, they went out expecting to find a shotgun or similar so were surprised to see an artillery piece in the mud.  They informed the army who recovered it but all the serial numbers had been removed.  I don't think there were any repercussions but I suspect they had a pretty good idea where it came from.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/08/2017 at 14:30, Auquhorthies said:

Is this the "Stuartfield gun"? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-15003303

Always seemed odd that it was found and re-buried.

It's not the Stuartfield gun, this one is near Oldmeldrum about 10 miles from Stuartfield.

With respect to the Stuartfield gun, it was located but not recovered, there was some (unknown) issue which prevented it being pulled out. I have some of the team who worked on that project assisting me with my quarry gun project.

I was just looking up the Stuartfield gun after the two references, an early form of CND "Nuclear Free Zones"?  There was a similar background to the Achnacarry gun that had been outside Inverness Castle.

From the British Newspaper Archive

Capture.JPG

• 1 year later...

Apologies for posting on this old thread but I thought these photos would be of interest.

A WWI gun that was placed in the Peace Park, Mountain Ash, Mid Glamorgan and buried at some unknown date. It was found during construction work in 1985 and then reburied.

gun2.jpg

51151551_10158173655078989_1516402615477338112_n.jpg

This is a 10.5cm howitzer LFH 16.

Cheers

RT

Almost certainly lost

Aberdeen Press and Journal - Tuesday 08 July 1919
GERMAN MACHINE GUN FOR ADVIE.
A communication has been received by Mr Macpherson. session clerk, that the War Oftice has allocated to the parish of Advie as a war trophy a German machine gnn, with belt,  ammunition box, and mounting complete. The kirk-session are to take possession of the gun in the meantime.