Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UK Trophy Guns

mtaylor

Does anyone know the locations of any surviving trophy guns in the UK? [Outside IWM, Firepower, Ft Nelson, Tank Museum, Enniskilllen, Beamish, Lincoln, Eilean Donan or Achnacarry]. Most were scrapped - not primarily in WW2 but during the 1920s early/30s. One was recovered from a pond at Dornoch in 1991 and then scrapped see http://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/groups.asp?id=2, one was supposedly located in a quarry in Aberdeenshire see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-15003303 but no-one seems to have thought to photograph it despite the very public excavation! Rumour has another in Cumbria.

Any info very welcome.

One was pushed into a lake in Cumbria by revelers one night and recovered years later but don't know if its still around. There was a thread on the forum about one that was dug up and is now at an open air museum.

Hi mtaylor,

In Chepstow recently I came across the deck gun from a U-boat in the square near the town centre. I'm afraid I too failed to take a photograph.

Regards,

Michael H.

Thanks Both - the open air museum is Beamish - and I'd forgotten about the Chepstow U-Boat gun - so thanks for the reminder.

Mike

Hi mtaylor,

In Chepstow recently I came across the deck gun from a U-boat in the square near the town centre. I'm afraid I too failed to take a photograph.

Regards,

Michael H.

Here are a couple of photographs of the Chepstow Gun which I photographed a few years ago.

Sepoy

post-55476-0-48083400-1387214941_thumb.j

post-55476-0-67821000-1387214951_thumb.j

I have come across references to the War Office offering captured German Field Guns to communities after the War. Bracknell in Berkshire had one for a while (although I don't know what happened to it), and Sandhurst were considering having one as well.

Andrewr

I have come across references to the War Office offering captured German Field Guns to communities after the War. Bracknell in Berkshire had one for a while (although I don't know what happened to it), and Sandhurst were considering having one as well.

Andrewr

Hundreds of towns had them. The mayor of Lampeter was very peeved that his demand for a German tank was not met and he had to settle for some minnenwerfers

Indeed, just so. Thousands of guns were spread across Britain in towns and villages. Broadly speaking the bigger the settlement, the bigger the gun (or guns) but what is so striking is how few have survived. Any other suggestions for survivors? Does anyone have any info on the Cumbria example?

A private trophy MG 08/15 can be seen at Ragley Hall in Worcs. Also some other items. The contempory resident ws an officer in the Guards. Some interesting militaria can be sen in a nice stately home.

TT

The "Statistics of the Military Effort of the British Empire During the Great War" HMSO 1922 records:

"The War Trophies Committee was formed in November, 1916, the terms of reference being "to deal with all questions in regard to the distribution of trophies and watch the interests of the Imperial War Museum."

When a claim for a gun etc, had been substantiated, the unit in question was asked its views as to the destination of the trophy, with the proviso that it went to a Regimental Depot, a recognized public body, or museum; up to present some 3,595 guns, 15,044 machine guns, 75,824 small arms and 7,887 other trophies had been distributed.

Large numbers of applications were received for allotment from County Authorities, Mayors and Corporations of cities and towns, Urban and Parish Councils and other communities. The Committee decided that allotment of the trophies to which no claim had been substantiated, had to be recommended by the Lord Lieutenant of the County.

Scotland still boasts a few trophies,

This artillery piece was captured by the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders at the Battle of Loos, during World War I. The regiment suffered significant casualties, with Colonel Sir Donald Walter Cameron of Lochiel, XXV Chief of Clan Cameron being wounded in the action.

post-15439-0-87425100-1387229902_thumb.j

Also the Clan Macrae Memorial at Eilean Donan Castle

post-15439-0-27724400-1387230262_thumb.j

The Tutbury Mueseum Have a Maxim -

The Tutbury Parish Council Minutes for 7th June 1920 record that 'the German Machine Gun be deposited at the Boys School if the managers consent' and that 'the German Field Gun be deposited at the Little Bridge on a site lent by Mr. Newton'.

In the Tutbury Village News of July 2010 it was reported how a machine gun was found in the cellar of the Charity House many years ago. This gun is on exhibition at the Museum now (7.92 Maxim, MG08/15 LMG). The Museum holds the original Carrier's note showing that a case of machine guns was sent to the Parish Clerk, by rail (GNR) from ASC officer i/c Transport, Lichfield on 6th May 1920.

the NIWM also list the Archangel Gun at Penicuik Barracks but sadly I can find no picture of this at present, also the Chipping Camden german Field Gun - the following made me wonder if people just didn't want these 'relics' on their dooorsteps -

A group of primarily younger local veterans did not want the gun. They removed it from it base twice. The first time, the gun was removed from its base during the night of 24 May 1920 by war veterans in the area and dumped in the middle of New Pool. The Parish Council had it returned and it was placed back on its base.

It was removed for a second time, this time in a festive torchlight procession. The participants read 'military orders' and sang war time songs. It was dumoed in Sloshy Walker's mill pond at Berrington Mill.

The council decided there was no point in retaining it so the Earl of Harrowby took it and had it removed to his house at Burnt Norton

Jon

There is a WW1 German howitzer on the roadside at Home Lacey near Hereford. I posted a photo about a year ago.Have no history on it.

Jon/Centurion - thanks both for the helpful replies. My 9nterest is in artillery pieces (I gave up on MGs 'cos almost every regimental Museum has at least one). Artillery however are very rare. Centurion - searched the forum for Home Lacey without finding it - do you have any other details? Penicuik is Glencorse barracks and I think the attached is it! Looks like a 13cm Kanone. Many thanks for the clue. Will go and see it!

Mike

This time with attachment!

post-173-0-29539000-1387277114_thumb.jpg

Thank you Centurion.

One was pushed into a lake in Cumbria by revelers one night and recovered years later but don't know if its still around. There was a thread on the forum about one that was dug up and is now at an open air museum.

Jimmy Hewitson V.C. and a couple of his pals used the steam launch 'Gondola' to tow one into Coniston in the 1920's. The gun is believed to have been recovered.

Thanks - so that's the Cumbria incident identified. Anyone know what happened to it?

Any more examples of surviving German Artillery pieces?

Mike

Cumbria Magazine Nov 2011 "but when a German field gun landed in Coniston Jimmy and his pals took great exception. One night they trundled the object down to the lake, and with the aid of the Gondola it was dragged into the water and submerged, although there is speculation that it is no longer there."

AFAIK it was salvaged post WW2 and sold to a local collector but has since disappeared from the ken of man.

Trying to remember if there were any Trophy guns in the Rotunda at Woolwich.

I guess that items from the Rotunda would have found their way to 'Firepower'?

So, the grand total in England and Wales (outside of the collections listed at the start of the thread) so far is just three: Herefordshire - 77mm Field gun; Beamish - 15cm Kanone M16 and Chepstow- submarine gun.

Any more?

• 3 weeks later...

More on the Coniston Gun. This is from http://cumbrianwarmemorials.blogspot.co.uk/2011_01_01_archive.html

'The Coniston gun had an interesting history. It was placed outside the Ruskin Museum in the village until one dark night when Jim Hewitson, the village's VC, came out of the pub with a bellyful of Hartley's Best Bitter and together with other veterans dragged it down to the lake and chucked it in with the observation that they had seen enough of such things in France. It was raised by local divers about the 1960s and eventually ended up in the private collection of the late 'Happy' Wilks at Ulverston Drill Hall. No idea where it is now.'

Anyone any post-Ulverston sightings?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't suppose that the gun by the Herefordshire roadside might be the Coniston Gun as it seems to have passed into private hands and (unlike the USA) there can't be too many private pieces of artillery in the UK.? Or is that a case of 2+2=5?

I understood that the trophy guns were recycled during WW II

Michael

I understood that the trophy guns were recycled during WW II

MichaelI

A simplification, many had gone to scrap before then and some may have survived until later or even still be around