Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers found at Thiepval 2013 (renamed)

Seadog

Norman

The FB post you refer to was presumably made by the Martin Brown who is/was the MOD archaeologist, and who has occasionally posted here.

Keith

Keith the name did sound familiar and I expect that you have made the right connection. Considering the location of the roadwork’s which pass right between the lines at Thiepval I would have thought it a serious oversight if there was not an archaeological presence available on site. Perhaps a member visiting the location will be able to update us on that aspect plus posting a photo or two of the works which would be interesting.

Ian a valid point about the eventual burial place for the soldiers, it may be of course that there is no room in the Connaught or Mill Rd Cemeteries to accommodate them but if there is then one of those would be the natural location.

Regards

Norman

By the look of those pictures that is a pretty substantial bit of road widening. I will be astonished if more remains are not discovered as the project moves along.

I agree Desmond that there is every chance of more discoveries being made. I understand these are the roads being widened, I have of course no idea of progress and what sections may have already been completed. The work runs right through some of the most heavily fought over parts of the Somme battlefield.

11208930406_50f512e304_c.jpg

Norman

Staggering thought that I took a close up photo of a poppy in 2009 on the exact spot where the 1st remains have been uncovered, it is now carefully laminated and preserved with my mementos.

As I stood at the bottom of Mil Road on Wednesday 13th November looking up the hill towards the Ulster Tower and watching the workmen start to remove some top soil from the bank I couldn't help but wonder how long it would be before remains were found. My son who was with me at the time wondered exactly the same thing. I must admit I therefore wasn't in the least bit surprised ,especially given the extent of the work being undertaken, that so far not one but two sets of remains have been found. Finally they can now both rest in peace.

Regards, Tommy.

In theory looking at the location of the Inniskilling remains it may be a man from the 10th Btn if killed in the advance as this was their jumping off point and they actually moved out to a position adjacent to the sunken road before the whistle, this was not a Divisional agreed decision. The 14th Royal Irish Rifles were their support Btn with the 9th and 11th Inniskillings on the right.

However due to the confusion on the way back later in the day all three battalions were mixed up, 9th, 10th & 11th, so could be any of them. Casualties for the 10th on the way out were quite light due to them deploying early and also being on the blind side of the machine gun at the crucifix.

Hopefully there will be something to help identify him. I think space should be made in Connaught for him.

Rob

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My great grandfather Sgt Robert Spence Kirton Northumberland Fusiliers, was killed on the 1st day of the Somme it's only a few years ago that I found out. He is mentioned on the Theipval Memorial, which means his body was never recovered and it's always in my mind that if his remains were ever recovered, there are not many members of his family left, can family give DNA just in case, this is something that is very close to my heart.

Dawn

Dawn

A couple of points:

Commemoration on the Thiepval does not necessarily signify that the soldier's body was never found; it can also mean that the remains of the soldier were not identified and were buried as a 'Known Unto God'.

As a great granddaughter, your DNA would not be informative for identification purposes even though you are a bloodline relation. Only a grandson or great grandson through an unbroken male line permitting the transmission of the Y chromosome would have any value.

Mel

• 10 months later...

Given that the MOD has agreed with the CWGC that the recovered remains of British soldiers will be buried in a war cemetery no later than 18 months from their discovery, it will be interesting to see if this actually happens with these two soldiers who if that agreement is serious should be buried no later than the end of June 2015

Norman

Response from the CWGC regarding the above post, for which I have course thanked them:

Thank you for your e-mail. I have asked our Commemorations Policy Officer for his input into this matter and he can offer you the following comment: We currently do have the burial of the remains mentioned below included in this year’s burial programme as agreed with MoD. A provisional date for the burials during June was being worked towards, but some issues have been encountered due to access problems in and around the Thiepval area and so discussions about the timing of the ceremony are currently ongoing.

It should also be noted that in working with MoD to achieve the agreed 18 month timescale for burials, there is some need for a little flexibility to accommodate issues such as the availability of regiments to attend and the timing of other events occurring during the 2014 – 2018 period. He will, he also adds, let the MoD know of your interest in this matter. Thank you again for your query and I hope that this information is useful to you.

Jackie Reddy

Enquiries Administrator

• 2 months later...

Sadly it appears that the so-called agreement made between the MOD and CWGC to the effect that human remains will be buried within 18 months of discovery was to put it mildly “pie in the sky”. The two sets of remains in this thread were found in Nov/Dec 2013 and still await the dignity of proper burial. In my opinion the JCCC branch of the MOD are unable or unwilling to expedite the agreement and frankly still remain unfit for purpose.

As for hanging on to the dead until some nebulous anniversary is reached before burial, that stinks. As per usual we have no idea of the number of remains stored by the CWGC which still await release by the MOD. I doubt whether any member of this forum is privy to this information but if they are perhaps they will share it with us.

Norman