Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers found at Thiepval 2013 (renamed)

Seadog

There is news of the human remains of what is thought to be a soldier of the 36th Ulster Division being found near to the Ulster Tower on the battlefield of the Somme. The link below to the Somme Association Facebook Page gives more detail.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Somme-Association/140029992732757

Extract from the above

It would not be appropriate to comment on the possible identification of the soldier at this stage, the Somme Association will assist the CWGC in whatever way possible. Save to say there is a strong indication that he was a member of the Royal Irish Rifles. The picture shows the cap badge found with the remains. Also during the excavations the bucket of the track digger struck what is believed to have been a German mortar gas shell, this ruptured, a gas cloud developed and the area was hastily evacuated. The French authorities have dealt with the situation

Norman

No problem although the credit belongs to Mandy Hall who first posted it on another thread. Yet one more of the missing that fate has brought back this time after 97 years.

11051396165_f7f19163ab_z.jpg

Norman

What a great story. It is sobering to me to reminded that remains are still found literally beneath the ground I've trod many times on visits to that area. It is reasonable to assume, that there is a a real possibility other remains will be found during this roadwork.

I expect the roadwork will also attract souvenir hunters. Will there be, I wonder, any supervision of the road-widening sites at night?

Just spotted. Thank you, Norman!

For those members not familiar with the area here is an overhead image with some notations. The position of the soldiers is approximate.

11081543734_a4a3aab604_c.jpg

Norman

Wow. Thank you for this photo, Norman. I may be overreacting, but I find this so sobering, given the number of times I have passed this spot. I realize there are remains everywhere, but knowing for certain the location of this soldier's remains has more of an impact.

You are not overreacting at all Conner so many of us have unknowingly passed over the place where this soldier fell in 1916. I always remember the inscription a Mother had chosen for the headstone of her son buried in Villers Bretonneux War Cemetery I recall it as being:-

"Tread softly for my Son lies here"

Good advice when walking the fields of the Somme

Norman

Given his Regiment and that he died there, almost certainly, in July 1916, a little bit of me feels that his final resting place shouldn't too be far away.

Quis Separabit.

Nick

You are not overreacting at all Conner so many of us have unknowingly passed over the place where this soldier fell in 1916. I always remember the inscription a Mother had chosen for the headstone of her son buried in Villers Bretonneux War Cemetery I recall it as being:-

Norman

Agreed.

Seven words that speak volumes...........(thanks for posting Norman)

regards

Tom

On 28/11/2013 at 11:04, Nick82 said:

Given his Regiment and that he died there, almost certainly, in July 1916, a little bit of me feels that his final resting place shouldn't too be far away.

Quis Separabit.

Nick

Nick if you are talking about where this man will eventually be buried, the London War Cemetery at High Wood has been used in the past for such interments. That however is not the problem what is a concern is the MOD (JCCC) and the inordinate time they take before releasing the remains for burial. I have posted the thread below on this subject and may I politely request that any comments on the subject are posted on the dedicated thread.

Regards

Norman

Norman

post-7183-0-55495500-1385635508_thumb.jp

Thanks Peter I saw this inscription on my very first visit to the Western Front and have never forgotten the gist of the sentiments so poignantly expressed.

Regards

Norman

Ditto. Thanks to the both of you for bringing this to the thread.

Nick if you are talking about where this man will eventually be buried, the London War Cemetery at High Wood has been used in the past for such interments. That however is not the problem what is a concern is the MOD (JCCC) and the inordinate time they take before releasing the remains for burial. I have posted the thread below on this subject and may I politely request that any comments on the subject are posted on the dedicated thread.

GWF Topic

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=203000

Regards

Norman

Norman, I am aware of your worthy crusade. My comment was more abstract and the correct (or not) treatment of our casualties is a differnet issue to my point. I just meant that I wish that they could lie where they fell. The 'tread soflty' comments above fit with this feeling.

Nick

just to let you know via Twitter another set of remains have been found near Connaught Cemetery and Thiepval Wood believed to be a Royal Inniskilling Fusilier.

:poppy:

A very valid comment in my opinion made on the FB page above questioning why there wasn’t archaeological monitoring of the works in this place which was bound to turn up artifacts not just the remains of the dead as has happened. Perhaps now after the second soldier has been found there will be otherwise this could be a free-for-all for the souvenir hunters!

Norman

Norman

The FB post you refer to was presumably made by the Martin Brown who is/was the MOD archaeologist, and who has occasionally posted here.

Keith

One would hope that when the appropriate efforts have been made to ID these men, that their remains will not be sent to High Wood but be laid to rest with their mates in Connaught or Mill Road.

They deserve such a home-coming.

There is a precedent for sympathetic treatment after the recent HAC burials were done at the HAC Cemetery.