Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembrance book for soldiers killed in WW1 Huddersfield area

marshdeen

Hi all

Been to Library again. Archives had got out the questionnaires for me but none of the Herbert Haigh's fitted and there was nothing for Friend Whitwam. These were from the Huddersfield Roll of Honour and I am beginning to think my 38 wouldn't have been in the Huddersfield area but Upper Adbrigg at that time. I have found some records of the Electoral roll for 1918 and 1919 for Golcar on microfiche so hope to plough through them in the near future and hope that there may be a list of absent voters somewhere.

The flyers have all been delivered (400) and I have had 1 reply so far but no further info.

Still seeking help, especially if someone may know how I obtain details from the Norfolk (Norwich) Roll of Honour with regards to Friend Whitwam of The Norfolk Regiment.

I am thinking that I may have to put ' unknown ' on these 2.

• 1 month later...

I have a bit of info on Stafford Pogson. He was a Tyneside Scot. I have a photo of him from the web. You may already have it. I think he was my 4th cousin twice removed. Ancestry listed him under Golear, not Golcar. He lived on Slant Gate.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave

Sorry I have only just picked up your message. Thank you for your interest.

I do have a photo of Stafford Pogson in his uniform which was in the Colne Valley Almanac. Also appeared in the Colne Valley Guardian with a little detail about how he was admitted to a clearing station in June 1917 with a bullet in his chest and had an operation for it's removal.

He enlisted in July 1916 and went to France January 1917. He died 2nd July 1917 from wounds in France and is buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Poperinge, West Flanders. XV. C. 3. He served as a Private in Alexandra, Princess of Wale's Own ( Yorkshire Regiment). Born in April 1884? he was the son of James and Maria Pogson of Scapegoat Hill and was living with the Ainley's and father James at Upper Grandstand in 1901. By 1911 he was a boarder at 15 Headwell Green, Golcar with John and Emma Dyson. He was the brother of Emma Dyson who lived at 15 Slant Gate, Linthwaite at the time of his death but I have no details of him at Slant Gate so would be grateful if you have any further info. there. Before enlisting he was employed as a weaver by R & J Whitwam & Sons of Golcar. This is just a small picture of his life and I would be especially interested in any old photos that you may have or his 'Tyneside Scot' connection that I could use for the Book of Remembrance. Perhaps you may also have come across some of the other 37 soldiers families?

• 3 weeks later...

Aw thanks for this info!

Stafford is a a distant relative I had no idea of until,I did my tree. You have more than I do. He was the first family member I tracked down the CCWGC entry on.

I would be deeply grateful if you would send me what you have on email. The lijsenthoek project have a name now, and if you don't mind I will pass this info on to the cemetery.

The names of the 38 are as follows;

Albert Abbey (Abby) 53069

Morris Crampton 306022

Arthur Crook (s) 29952

Horace Forshew 305235

Thomas H Forshew 306364

Joe Garside 39664

Herbert Greenhow 241386(8)

Whitwam Haigh20392

Sutcliffe Haigh 42012

Wilfred (Wilfrid) Haigh 26396

Allen Haigh 80(6)650

Herbert Haigh 603603

Herbert Haigh (Gunner)

Simeon Haigh 60734 only one buried in village graveyard in an unmarked grave. Information on Ancestry only gives registry details.

George Haigh 54873

Willie Hirst 38609(9)

Richard Horsfall J/71276 1074

Harry Iredale 91229

Herbert Meakin 26735

Job Peace 32558

Stafford Pogson 42617

Thomas H Quarmby J/37890

William Shann 9215

Arthur Shaw 204170

Harold Thomas Shaw 65766

Charlie Shaw 21524

Fred Singleton 6234

E ( Evelyn) Siswick 5885 202620

Leonard Sowden 43547

J S (Joe Sykes) Taylor 43063

Asa Townend 117469

Walter (Walker) Whitwam 1832 24777

Harold Whitwam 332779

Friend Whitwam ???

Benjamin Wray 127421

Alfred Wray 28891 43106

Willie Wray 203931

James Edward Wray 5058

I have found photos of some in the Colne Valley Almanac and Chronicle but have yet to go thorough the Huddersfield Examiner.

Medal cards missing for Arthur Crook, Simeon Haigh, William Shann,

I have one suicide and one accidental death and 3 Military Medals so far.

Any further details gladly received

and thank you once again.

The Private Charlie Shaw 21524 on this list was my Grandmother's eldest brother. He died of wounds on 24/3/1918, I believe as a POW having been captured after being wounded. His grave is in Ontario Cemetery, Sains-Les-Marquion. The family were from Scapegoat Hill. Please could you let me know which church has the memorial plaque with his name on. I will be in the locality in May this year and would like to see it.

Hello everyone

Sorry for not replying earlier but I have been in hospital and am still feeling a little frail.

Stafford Pogson-the information as to his wounds came from the Colne Valley Guardian 20th july 1917 which I only took notes from- he was admitted to a clearing station in June 1917 because a shrapnel bullet had entered his right chest ( breast) and he had an operation for its removal. That's all I made note of but could check again when I go to the library.

Charlie Shaw- 21524 Died of wounds 24th March 1918 in a field hospital near Cambrai. He was reported missing on 21st march 1918. He is buried in Ontario Cemetery, Sains-les-Marquion 1E6. He was born 1898, son of John Thomas and Sarah Shaw (nee Wood) who lived at 20 School Road and 100 High Street Scapegoat Hill (1911). He was brother to Herman, Annice, Lilian, and Mildred. He served as a private in 1st King's Shropshire Llight Infantry and formerly 24847 9th Lancers. Before enlisting he was employed by Joseph Hoyle and Sons Quarmby Clough Mills as a piecer. I have a photo of him in uniform.

The plaque I am working from is inside the Baptist Church at Scapegoat Hill. it is planned to have a special service of remembrance on 3rd August preceded by a special meal on 2nd August. It would be lovely if you could visit the church during your stay and possibly come to the service. I am also looking for any photos or extra information that you may have.

marshdeen, hope you soon start to feel better, a few days of sunshine may do the trick!

Just take things steady for a little while, you have an important job to finish for these lads!

Hello everyone

Sorry for not replying earlier but I have been in hospital and am still feeling a little frail.

Stafford Pogson-the information as to his wounds came from the Colne Valley Guardian 20th july 1917 which I only took notes from- he was admitted to a clearing station in June 1917 because a shrapnel bullet had entered his right chest ( breast) and he had an operation for its removal. That's all I made note of but could check again when I go to the library.

Charlie Shaw- 21524 Died of wounds 24th March 1918 in a field hospital near Cambrai. He was reported missing on 21st march 1918. He is buried in Ontario Cemetery, Sains-les-Marquion 1E6. He was born 1898, son of John Thomas and Sarah Shaw (nee Wood) who lived at 20 School Road and 100 High Street Scapegoat Hill (1911). He was brother to Herman, Annice, Lilian, and Mildred. He served as a private in 1st King's Shropshire Llight Infantry and formerly 24847 9th Lancers. Before enlisting he was employed by Joseph Hoyle and Sons Quarmby Clough Mills as a piecer. I have a photo of him in uniform.

The plaque I am working from is inside the Baptist Church at Scapegoat Hill. it is planned to have a special service of remembrance on 3rd August preceded by a special meal on 2nd August. It would be lovely if you could visit the church during your stay and possibly come to the service. I am also looking for any photos or extra information that you may have.

Thanks for your response and I trust that you are feeling better. It was Charlie's sister Lillian who was my grandmother. Unfortunately she passed away when my father was still a child on 31/12/1945, she is buried in Scapegoat Hill, her married name being Dale. The youngest sister Mildred only passed away recently in September 2012 at the ripe old age of 104, her married name being Smith. Her husband George was once the landlord of the local Public House. Do you know when Charlie enlisted? Do you have any information on how he came to be buried in what is predominantly a Canadian cemetery. I had suspected he had been moved there as some were from a German cemetery at the end of the war. Perhaps the field hospital was Canadian?

Unfortunately I will only be in the UK from mid May to early June (currently residing in Australia) so will not be able to attend in August. I do intend to visit Scapegoat Hill again whilst I am there though. I would love to have a copy of the photo of Charlie in his uniform. Is that possible? Sorry I do not have any photo's of him myself. Also interested to know where you obtained the date he was reported missing.

Thanks again for the response and information.

Hello again

Re Charlie Shaw 21524.

I obtained a lot of the information from the Colne Valley Guardian and his photograph was in the Colne Valley Almanac. I have a copy of the Almanac but I only took notes from the Guardian. I could get a copy when I next go to the library. I have also made contact with another of Charlie's relatives who remembers Mildred talking about him. Apparently he told his father just before he last left that he didn't think he would be coming home again. He was known to be very kind to his sisters bringing them presents from his small wages. I would be delighted to meet up with you and show you round the church and perhaps the graveyard where your relatives are buried when you visit. Please PM me. Sorry you won't see the finished book.

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

'Stumbled ' on to this thread while browsing around looking for general links to an ancestor of mine; Harry Iredale. Wondered what you had and if you would be interested in bits I have? Harry was the elder brother of my grandfather Ambrose Iredale. I have his service record and a picture of him outside the Rising Sun at Crosland Hill, with his father John William Iredale. Had no idea that there was a memorial plaque to him and the others from Scapegoat Hill, would love to get a photo of it?! I am based in Somerset and only rarely return to the Huddersfield area.

Ian Hildred

ihildred@live.co.uk

Hello

I don't have much on Harry Iredale but I would love any photos

The details I have are:

Born about 1900.

Son of John William and Mary Jane Iredale of 12 High Street, Scapegoat Hill.

1911 at 1 Grandstand, Scapegoat Hill.

Brother of Ida, Sophia, Albert, Mary Alice and Ben Iredale. 1911 Census. Also Harold, Ambrose and Lilian noted on his military records.

Woollen finisher.

He was a Private in 18th Battalion Durham Light Infantry.

Regimental No 91229

Killed in action in the field ( France ) 1st October 1918.

Buried Lancashire Cottage Cemetery, Comines 111. E.1.

He was awarded the Allied Victory and British War medals

I will E-mail you.

I can attach a photo of the plaque which is inside the Baptist Church at Scapegoat Hill. I can't for some unknown reason attach it to my post.

• 2 weeks later...

HI ihildred

Thanks very much. I have used this site many times for this Book but haven't had any replies which have given me any further information. I did however find a lot of information for my own family tree and Steve Whitwam is local to my area and indeed has done much research around the Colne Valley and the grave yards there.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone

The Book of Remembrance for Scapegoat Hill is now finished and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your help.

The Service of Remembrance will be at Scapegoat Hill Baptist Church together with brass band on Sunday 3rd August at 3pm. All welcome.

However, if you remember, there was 1 who I could not link and although not in time for the book and thanks to the new documents on Commonwealth Graves

I have linked. He is:

Gunner Herbert Haigh

L/29317 Royal Horse Artillery

Date of death: 7th June 1917

Buried St Nicholas Cemetery

Address 2 Mould Hall, Nettleton Hill, Golcar.

So we had come to the right conclusion after all.

Thank you all again