Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed with cap badge please

hornetsfan

Hello ,

I have just received a WW1 era photo album with very few captions . Can someone please help to identify which regiment this chap served in ? Album starts with men in this uniform , the original owner later ends up with Nigeria regt on border with German East Africa post-52954-0-35517200-1384223532_thumb.j

Many thanks

Jim

The third picture in Africa looks as if it is showing the colours of the 3rd Bn of one of the (Royal*)West African Frontier Force regiments..... Possibly the Queens Own Nigeria Regiment or the Gold Coast Regiment (both had more than two battalions in the Great War). MG

post-52954-0-71934400-1384251568_thumb.jAnother pic of original owner

post-52954-0-14791600-1384251747_thumb.jIt was a tough life being a British officer in Africa

attachicon.gifimg691.jpgHello Old Owl and Martin,

very helpful . can you please let me know original owners rank from these 2 photos ?

Hi,

He is a Second Lieutenant in this photo and wears the M.C. ribbon. It is not possible to tell the ranks of the other two officers, although they are more than likely the same rank as your man.

Robert

attachicon.gifimg677.jpgAnother pic of original owner

In this one he appears to be a full Lieutenant, two pips on each shoulder, and again sports the M.C. ribbon. He is still wearing the badge of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment--I think?

Robert

I am curious about the officer in the centre of the front row in the picture with the colours. I'm assuming that he is the battalion CO. Most if not all British Officers were seconded to colonial African regiments during WW1 and after.

Does the hackle/plume on the front of his helmet originate from the colonial regiment or from the officer's originating regiment?

Roger.

post-52954-0-40140000-1384340051_thumb.jpost-52954-0-43885100-1384340085_thumb.jCan anyone identify the town ? Presumably in Lancashire ? Victory parade ?

post-52954-0-47578600-1384341051_thumb.jpost-52954-0-75012700-1384341122_thumb.ja cropped photo of the original owners uniform , showing medal ribbons ( as worn by his wife /girlfriend ) ..Anyone able to work out the name of recipient of military cross to Loyal North Lanchashire regt

To my eyes he looks quite old to be a 2 Lt or Lt and this might suggest he was commissioned from the ranks, which opens the possibility that he might have earned his MC as a Warrant Officer with another Regiment and later been commissioned into the Loyals. Just a possibility. That said, his arrival in a new battalion of the Loyals would very likely have been recorded in the Bn diary.

If he was always with the Loyals and ended up attached to or seconded to an African unit, given the 2nd Bn Loyal North Lancs served in Africa from late 1914 to August 1916 this might be a good place to start. He may have been attached to the African battalion from the Loyals. I note that the Gold Coast Regiment served in East Africa as well, but after the LNL had left.

The medal ribbon immediately next to the MC looks like the 1914 or 1914-15 Star medal ribbon suggesting he was probably serving from quite early in the war. That, and the fact that he was seconded to a colonial Regiment suggest a higher probability that he was a regular. It doesn't rule out other possibilities but that's where I would start searching in this particular haystack. Regular Bn and in particular 2nd Bn.

Worth checking;

1. A list of all Officers who served with the Loyals who had the MC - Regimental History might help and the London Gazette

2. The 2nd Bn Loyal North Lancs War Diary at the National Archives: Ref WO 95/5339 and WO 95/5341 for service dates in Africa.

3. Search the Nigeria Regt and Gold Coast Regt war diaries.

4. Try blowing up the picture with the Colours as the Regimental Colour has battle honours embroidered on it. If these turn out to be Great War battle honours it would likely be post 1920. Also the circlet around the badge of the palm tree has an inscription which might help identify if it was the Nigeria Regt or the Gold Coast Regt....the III in the top left canton of the Colour denoting the third battalion I believe.

These might all be red herrings as the photo of the Officers with the colours looks post war since all appear to be wearing campaign ribbons - again suggesting 1920 (I think). So possibly his service with the African battalion was post war....possibly in a key role such as Adjutant?

Regards

MG

P.S. I wouldn't get hung up on the idea the parade was in Lancashire. If it was a Regular battalion it could be anywhere in Britain. The advert for Leney's Direct Supply of Table Waters on the building in one of the photos is for a Dover based company ( a Brewer who later turned to other products such as water) for example. It doesn't rule out Lancashire but equally I would recommend keeping options open. Not sure if any LNL battalions ended up in Kent at the end of the War....

On the other hand, if you are sure its North Lancashire, I would start with Preston (first 4 service battalions and 3rd Reserve Bn and some TF battalions) or Bolton (TF battalions) with other home based battalions in Lytham and Blackpool.....MG

The town photo's (post 13)

I did quick google of the Leneys bottled table water advert in the upper photo and from what i've read they were a Dover based beer brewing firm that also did bottled water.

I don't know why but i get a feeling the photos are of Folkestone.

The King's Colour says Nigeria Regiment in the middle of the circlet so it is 3dr Bn Nigeria Regiment..... When the battle honours for the Great War were awarded, they were carried on the King's Colour (limited to ten per Regiment). Since these colours don't appear to have Great War battle honours I think it may be prior to 1920. The Nigeria Regt's Great War battle honours were Mamina, Duala, Garua, Banyo, Cameroons 1914-16 Behobeho, Nyangao and East Africa 1916-18, the latter of which partly overlapped with the 2nd Bn Loyal North Lancs who carry the same battle honour.

MG

P.S. One slight oddity is the Regimental Colour has Ashantee 1873-74 as a battle honour. According to "The battle Honours of the British and Indian Armies 1695-1914" by N B Leslie, the Nigeria Regiment was not listed as being awarded this honour but was awarded Ashanti 1900 (Army Order 296/1908).... something is not quite right. MG

I think he is Lt Reginald F Squibb MC

His medal Index card is a riot of information.....7815 L/Sgt Hampshire Regt (he was an Old Contemptible landing in France 23 Aug 1914 entitled to "clasp and roses" on his 1914 Star) then commissioned into the Loyal North Lancs where he won the MC and later served with the Nigeria Regiment.

He lived in ???? Reach, Shanklin, Isle of Wight. His other address was C/o Mrs RF Squibb, 2 St Peter's Rd, March, Cambridgeshire.

Searching Ancestry there are only four men who served in both the LNL and the Nigeria Regt. Of these men, he is the only one who was awarded the MC.

It fits with my theory that he was an ex-ranker and a regular.Often when commissioned from the ranks, unless it was a QM commission men were very often posted to other regiments. In this case from the 1st Hants to the LNL. I strongly suspect he was in the 2nd Bn LNL as mentioned before.

MG

P.S. His MIC can be downloaded from TNA for £3.36 or via Ancestry if you have membership. MG

PPS. London Gazette 16th Sep 1919 mentions he is a Temp Capt (LNL MC) for services with the West African Frontier Force.

PPPS. London Gazette issue 29478 page 1808 dated 18th Feb 1916 announcing his commission into the LNL. Prev Sgt Reginald frederick Squibb, Hampshire regiment. Date of commission: 30th Jan 1916.

I think he is Lt Reginald F Squibb MC

He lived in ???? Reach, Shanklin, Isle of Wight. His other address was C/o Mrs RF Squibb, 2 St Peter's Rd, March, Cambridgeshire.

Apse Reach, Shanklin, probably.

CGM

CGM...Thanks... I can see the Isle of Wight from where I am sitting so I should have known..

MC citation: " 2 lt Reginald frederick Squibb N Lanc R (attd. 10th Bn) For conspicuous gallantry. After a raid which he had led he went out under heavy machine gun fire to search for missing men. Next night he led another raid which inflicted severe loss onthe enemy. On this occasion he attacked a party of the enemy single handed thereby rescuing a man who had been cut off. "

LG 29684 page 7442 dated 27th July 1916.

According to Brig James' "British regiments 1914-18" 10th LNL were in 112th Inf Bde, 37th Div. Disbanded in France 4th Feb 1914

P.S. One slight oddity is the Regimental Colour has Ashantee 1873-74 as a battle honour. According to "The battle Honours of the British and Indian Armies 1695-1914" by N B Leslie, the Nigeria Regiment was not listed as being awarded this honour but was awarded Ashanti 1900 (Army Order 296/1908).... something is not quite right. MG

The Nigeria Regt is mentioned as having Ashantee 1873-74 by Baker in Battle Honours of the British and Commonwealth Armies.

The Nigeria Regt is mentioned as having Ashantee 1873-74 by Baker in Battle Honours of the British and Commonwealth Armies.

So it appears that N B Leslie mistakenly omitted the regiment....

Back to Squibb...

The 10th Bn diary survives and can be downloaded from TNA for £3.36... WO 95/2538.... A quick scan reveals his name mentioned at least three times in 1916...he became a casualty on 12th July 1916.

That's brilliant ..well done chaps . You are bringing back to life the story within an old album . The internet at its very best .

In the coming weeks I will run a few other original photo albums past this forum site .

Honourable Artillery Company 1915-16 with plenty of names .

An excellent uncaptioned WW1 U-boat album and German soldiers album.. well captioned, but in German . So hopefully someone can decipher and translate.

As an aside , I have had some real excitement in past couple of weeks . Incredibly , I believe I may have 2 original photo albums which were the personal property of Field marshal Wolfram Von Richthofen ..covering his time with Legion Condor and Russian front 1941.