Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marcin FELEDZIAK Infantry Regiment 171

Martin Feledziak

Martin,

have downloaded the pages you mentioned. When I have time I'll have a go at translating them.

And can I just say: that book-cover surely belongs in the thread "Best book-covers" (or something in that style) somewhere on this forum.

Happened upon that thread one day by accident, and then lost it forever...

The typeset is a sight for sore eyes.

Have you asked Patrick at http://military-books.lima-city.de/test/index.html ?

He's a member of this forum, I forget his username sorry... :blush: , maybe he has the book "lying around, gathering dust", or has it scanned already ready to publish on his website, but then there's always the distinct possibility that maybe he doesn't....

JW

JWK

I agree it is an impressive cover and has a nice graphic. I assume it depicts the home garrison at Colmar - not sure why it needs the two springs of holly - but I love the cipher and typeset.

I would truly appreciate a translation of the text, I am ashamed to say other that picking a few names, dates, and numbers I don't have much of an idea and this particular passage on page 271 could be very relevant to me.

I have already tried Patrick to see if he has the history for 171 but he does not. He has told me that he is trying to get hold of it and he expects to be firing up his scanner in the none too distant future.

He does have the history for IR136 - the companion regiment and has sent me a couple of scans for incidents in June 1918.

Over the last couple of days I have been re-reading Justin's threads about his relative Max Polak ( 127th American Infantry regiment ) who was killed 5th October 1918 apparently flushing the 115th German Division out of the woods at Gesnes.

completely fascinating information and a clear indication of the fact that it was a "World" war.

I have picked up a number of excellent maps off his threads and some interesting accounts from the American soldier diaries he has attached

http://1914-1918.inv...&hl=+max +polak

Nice big map of Verdun ( A ) which has Gesnes top left here, ( once the link opens download it and you can zoom in. )

Also the Favorite book jackets are here

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=226731&page=2&hl=%2Bjacket+%2Bcovers#entry2269503

I have the regimental history of IR 171...

You have my "Gold"

My Grandfather was born into a poor farming community in Wrotkow, Poland on 14th October 1897. He died in 1968 when I was 7, He did not speak anything of the wars, so for me Finding history has been

like trying to do a jig-saw puzzle without any of the pieces and not even the box.

Even if he was prepared to talk 'War stories' it would have been impossible given that he spoke, Polish, German and French.

I used English and it was just English for 7 year olds.

But I keep finding some of these Jig-saw pieces along the way, and perhaps this makes the learning much more rewarding because each piece is a little treasure.

of course they may be entirely the wrong pieces and not even belong to my puzzle.

However..

He was photographed in a wartime hospital in 1918 and a verlustlisten links him to IR171 . I have no clue as to when he joined IR171 or even why a unit so far from his home.

Therefore in the regimental history I am most interested in the time period after they left Romania in 1917.

I know they were at Longpont early June 1918 and I am guessing that he picked up an injury there which put him in hospital.

I am also guessing that he could have recovered in time to rejoin his unit for the October 1918 fighting at Gesnes - Argonne.

So anything you have please - I would certainly appreciate a scan of skizzie 22 - from the maps at the back.

Martin

attachicon.gifpost-959-0-65432800-1418520081.jpg

From IR136 Regimental History, Thanks to Patrick

attachicon.gifpost-959-0-10432000-1418520112.jpg

Just bringing this back to the top of my thread.

These are two scans from the regimental history of IR136

strangely a page 272 too.

These relates to the Longpont and Corcy action 3 June 1918.

Well, to the best of my abilities:

Transcription of pages 270 (part) and 271

I *think* page 270 is about an 8th October, there's no year mentioned.

Top half I can’t read properly. Something about an attack on Chene-Sec woods, and taking 50-60 prisoners (by IR171), who were led away by IR169 (they arrived on the scene a little later)

Second part is a little better:

At 09:45 the enemy attacked again from the woods of Chene-Sec. As 9 and 11 Coy were not yet connected to us they had to retreat to “Hill 2888?” where they withstood the various attacks.

As the danger of a pincer movement was still there we deployed 4/171 (which was still on the approach) on the right hand side.

Through a renewed attack by the enemy the right wing of II/169, which upto then had withstood the attacks, had to withdraw. There was now a gap between 11/171 and II/169.

We were therefor forced to deploy 1/171 to this gap. 1st and 2nd Coy were sent to ?.?.? III/171 at around 9 o’clock. 2/171 took the positions in the reserve trenches formerly occupied by 11/171.

They arrived there at 10:20.

At 10:15 the Batallion came under heavy enemy fire from Hill 218 and North-east of there. But despite heavy enemy artillery fire this attack was repelled.

At 11:30 the frontline came under heavy fire again.Apparently the enemy had shifted their artillery forwards. They attacked once more from Gesnes, but our Batallion could drive them back. We noticed a large gathering of the enemy in Gesnes.

Page 271 starts with the writer recollecting how he was on his way to 10 Coy, with the order to deploy a Machine Gun troop somewhere, but on his way there he encountered, behind a little bush an apparently rested, and ready to deploy, Machine Gun troop of IR169. [As one does....]

So he used that troop instead.

They positioned themselves close to Gesnes, from where they could cover Gesnes main street, which was full of Americans. It was a joy to watch the effect of our gunfire on a mass of people readying themselves for another attack. [That´s what he writes…..].

Two of our men got killed, one wounded. Through our machinegun fire the enemy was driven out of Gesnes. Our field guards were sent to Gesnes immediately, and they found the place deserted and noted heavy casualties on the enemy side, which was confirmed by the many wounded transports into the hinterland that we noticed later on.

The 9th of October would become an even heavier day for IR171 with many more casualties. Almost the entire II/171 was wiped out. [“Er [Der Tag] rasste fast das ganze II/171 hinweg” Did I translate that correctly? -why is there no Help! smiley?- Guess the next page (page 272) will hold the truth....]

And then it goes on about the Commander of IR171 (Major Kaulbach) who got a new posting (to IR136) a few days earlier, and he would be killed not much later near Romagne.

New commander was Hauptmann Fahnert, Fliegeroffizier (!), who had volunteered for the Infantry. He was always to be found in the frontline.

Thick fog lingered over our positions in the early morning hours, as was usual in these October-days.

A Pilot Officer volunteering for the Infantry?

So IR169 was either to the left or to the right of IR171. I'm leaning to the left (In this particular case only, mind!)

JW

JWK.

I am greatly thankful for your help.

I also understand how difficult it is to read writing which is fuzzy, foreign and photographed at 67 degrees.

Having spent the last couple of days reading accounts from the American 127th infantry soldiers this all fits
perfectly. I can't pretend to be happy to learn of someones glee when they shoot down people.

But then unless people are honest no matter how vile their views and deeds we will not learn.

You have noted a number of facts which we can investigate. We are here looking at things almost 100 years after they happened. Possibly the first time we have been able to read comparable accounts.

So now I wish to learn of the commander of IR171 Major Kaulbach - As he was killed in this fracas.

Looking at that fuzzy skizzie 22

IR 169 were on the left.

Here is a close up of the Gesnes area. It is from the 1918 Verdun A map.

so It would appear that on 8th October the Americans advanced into Gesnes but did not advance any further that day, they were then driven back out of the town leaving it deserted.

So 9th October will be a miserable day too.. so I need page 272 ...

post-103138-0-94734600-1436437016_thumb.

Best put this map up.. as it has a number of previously mentioned locations and expands the time line too.

post-103138-0-87122700-1436442915_thumb.

comes from this handy downloadable PDF.

Schmidt, Paul W. / Co. C, 127th Infantry, in the World War; a story of the 32nd Division and a complete history of the part taken by Co. C

http://images.library.wisc.edu/WI/EFacs/SheboyganLocHist/She127thInfantry/reference/wi.she127thinfantry.i0012.pdf

I find the following passage full of irony . Most of the American soldiers in K company had Polish roots apart from the leader who had German roots but they were

fighting Germans who were also from Polish roots.

From the official history of Co. K, 127th Infantry: October 1918

post-103138-0-62871900-1436609067_thumb.

I have now concluded that Grandfather will have been in the woods of Gesnes or thereabouts for his 21st Birthday on the 14th October 1918.

The July report here ties in with his hospital picture dated 28th June 1918 - and lists him as lightly wouunded. That very possibly was at Corcy/ Longpont early June action.

post-103138-0-88544300-1436868226_thumb.

He will have had time to recover and looks reasonably fit on that photograph.

Then the February 1919 the below report has him and a good many from his regiment and Company missing and as a member of IR171. This is sure to be the October 1918 action,

post-103138-0-93421800-1436880452_thumb.

Then the picture of him in mixed uniform in Gera, Germany in September 1919.

All tends to fit together.

• 1 month later...

I have the regimental history of IR 171...

Are you still there AOK4

I could do with a scan of page 272, perhaps 273 if that covers the action, but certainly Skizze 22, which is the map of the woods at Gesnes..

I am sure my GF was somewhere there..

“gespannt wie ein Regenschirm”

Martin

Hello,

I'll scan the pages today. (I wasn't at home for some time as I was getting married)

Jan

Greetings Jan

and congratulations to you and your new bride.

it all comes clear now.

Martin

Wow - excellent Jan.

Therefore IR 171 and 169 are in the woods North of Chen Sec - and specifically the 3rd Battalion including Companie 10 of IR171 are in the environs of ROBINETTE FARM and Hill 255.

IR 173 and IR 136 are just South of Romagne Sous Montfaucon

I have dropped the Skizzie 22 onto Google Earth, screen grab below.

post-103138-0-32117800-1439826954_thumb.

Martin has asked me to translate (I, who is hopeless at spoken German! And writing in German : forget it. It just is tóo difficult!)

So here's a quick translation of page 272 :

Heavy fire from around 09:30 led us to expect something special.

And indeed the Americans suddenly attacked en masse.

Their weapons pushed through the thin lines at II/171 , east from Gesnes.

The machinegun crews in the back couldn't see anything because of the thick fog, and therefor could not aim and fire.

The Minenwerfer in the frontline was overrun.

Neither Batl. Kiesslich, nor the Regiment could send any help, as the first was also under heavy attack, and one Battl. 109, upto then in reserve, was sent to IR 173 already.

The left and right flanks were closed off, but the Americans did however, coming from the east of Gesnes, encircled the main part of II/171, for a part killing many {niedermachen: to butcher, to slaughter], and capturing the rest. Only a few escaped, amongst whom the Batls.Commander.

III/171 Hauptmann Kiesslich desperately fought on.

The Americans were halted by a counter-attack from 10/171 and a Company of the Leibgrenadier Regiment 109, at the old front of II/171.

Parts of II/173 counterattacked from the north in the direction of the former left-wing of II/171.

Repeated attacks with heavy artillery-fire, including attacks with tank, of which one was destroyed, were repelled, even though the Americans, who were already in the vicinity of the “Robinette Fm” [Robinette Farm?], behind III/171, and fired at them from there.

How persistent the fighting was is evidenced by one single Machine gun which fired 13000 rounds.

At around 08:30 at night the III/171, which lost over 70 men, got the order to withdraw to the Kriemhild-Stellung, where they were joined by their neighbours.

As also to the south of Romagne the Americans had attacked heavily.

Only after many casualties were they pushed back. They had to retreat because of the renewed attacks.

Reinforcements, which took over south of Romagne, held the line.

At night the front ran somewhat along the road Somerance-Romagne-Cunel.

Sequence of regiments, from west to east: IR171, IR 173, IR 136.

I hope it all makes sense.

Page 273 is a recollection of a certain Leutnant Egle of that day.

Doesn't say though when these recollections were written down.

I can sort of imagine Herr Leutnant sitting in a leather chair near the fire, smoking a cigar, a lorgnette in his left eye,his German Shepherd at his feet, and sipping a whisky

"That day, my son,....." in a frail, but steady voice.....

JW

JW,

I did say no hurry, but that is very, very good.

It is amazing how all of these threads come together. Justin's thread regarding Max POLAK who was killed right by Chene sec woods early on the 5th October 1918 as part of the advancing American Infantry Divisions. John Reith's thread and book about IR 169 ( Iron Regiment ) and part of the MG unit mentioned on post 480 above which opened fire on the Americans 3 days later in Gesnes, to the right of Chen Sec Woods.

And this thread which has IR 171 thrown into the mix. I can not say for sure but my Grandfather was linked to Companie 10, 3 Battalion of IR171. I see no reason why he could have avoided being there and for his 21st Birthday on 14th October.

Many Thanks for translation and painting the rather nice image of "Herr Leutnant sitting in a leather chair" Etc, That does sound about right, but I would have him polishing his EK 1 too.

I have many new lines of enquiry to view now.

Martin.

It could also very well have been like this:

"Herr Leutnant sits himself down, with a groan, at the kitchen-table in some small farmstead in deepest darkest Elsass-Lotharingen, smelling of cow, as he just got back from milking them, and starts, grudgingly, telling us what he remembers of that day back in (1918?)"!

Who knows?

Page 273 dóes go into a little more detail about all this, and 10th Coy IR 171's involvement in it.

I'll get to that tomorrow afternoon (if no-one else beats me to it)

JW

I am guessing that this is the area where the German 3rd and 5th Armies met along the front line opposing the 1st and 32nd Divisions of the American First Army.

IR 169 are the most Eastern regiment of the 52nd Division of the German 3rd army and IR171 are the most Western side of the 115th Division of the German 5th Army.

I hope that make sense !!

But I am just guessing.

post-103138-0-20626700-1439889715_thumb.

Page 273:

Leutnant Egle, at the time also with the staff of III/171 remembers in his memoires of that day especially the exceptional way in which the Btl Commanders and the splendid combatants, who, in those Octoberdays 1918, showed what was still in them, kept the command and the troops together even at end of the campaign.

Egle writes about 9th October:

At 09:30 in the morning the H.W.L. started with a heavy artillery barrage, near Gesnes and to the east from there.

During this barrage, and also later, our artillery stayed almost completely quiet.

The Americans, during the barrage, assembled a strong force close to our front, protected from sight by the thick fog.

Close to 10AM the artillery barrage moved a little to the north; at the same time our machineguns started firing.

At 10:15 am the Batl. received the message that 5/171 (the connecting company for III/171) was pushed back.

At 10:30 the message came that also the left flank of 11/171 was being pushed back.

This breakthrough was prevented by our heavy Machine guns, which were positioned on an elevated position behind the left flank of 11th Coy.

As the enemy broke through the breach in the line of II/171 in great numbers, the III Batl. came into danger of being trapped.

At 10:45 the 10th Coy started the counterattack, on orders from the Batl, drove the enemy from the elevation near number 1138 in Planq, and occupied it.

As the enemy however moved forward through the forested area near Robinette Ferme, in great numbers, and also attacked further from Gesnes in exceptionally large numbers, we were forced to send our last Reserve, a company of the Leib Grenadiers Regt 109, in the direction of 10th Coy.

And indeed the enemy was forced from the aforementioned elevation through the spirited fighting of the “Leibers” and 10th Coy.

They also didn’t dare anymore to attempt to take the wooded area east of the Robinette Ferme again.

Persistent renewed attacks on Elevation 255 were repelled in tough fighting, sometimes with handgrenade fights.

During these fights the enemy used 5 tanks against our lines, which were hindered in their progress by our artillery and machine gun fire. One tank was destroyed near Gesnes.

In the course of the afternoon one could see the enemy advancing on the Marienhöhe (to the west of Höhe 255 in Bois de Moncy), and our troops retreating.

Which left the right flank of I/171 then unprotected, and by now the situation of the troops under our command seemed to be unsustainable.

Nevertheless the order from the Batl. came to hold our positions no matter what,

JW -

that is first class word work !!

To me very interesting as I would have had no chance of understanding most of the information in the text.
Also having visited the region in May this year a great focus for another visit sometime soon.
It took me a while to find the two Johann's but then I learned my Grandfather was likely there too. He never said he was there and he did not know his brother and cousins were killed there too.

( Or never wanted to tell either )

I am just going to go through these notations so that I have got it right, also on the odd chance that others are reading and it may be of interest to them. ( or they know better )

Where the regimental number is preceded by I or II or III this refers to the Battalion. There being 3 Battalions per regiment
Based on 1914 basic figures...

So I/171 means the 1st Battalion of the regiment which is made up of 4 companies numbered 1, 2 ,3 and 4.
II/171 means the 2nd Battalion of the regiment which has companies 5, 6, 7 and 8
III/171 means the 3rd Battalion of the regiment which has companies 9, 10, 11, and 12.

so when you see 10/171 this refers only to company 10 of the regiment. ( 192 men)
when you see 1/171 only the first company of the regiment.( 192 men )
when you see I/171 ( 768 men )

There are around 192 men in each company so around 768 per Battalion. So a regiment is around 2304 men....

( very basic numbers which- does not include the supervisors or machine gun teams )

post-103138-0-72489100-1439917669_thumb.

I have had another look at the casualty report listed for 28 February 1919.

I now believe that these are as a result of the fighting in and around Gesnes in October 1918.

all reports are for III/171 and includes some Machinegun company and Minewerfer soldiers which tallies with post 480 above.

post-103138-0-41225100-1440081300_thumb.

Page 273:

As the enemy however moved forward through the forested area near Robinette Ferme, in great numbers, and also attacked further from Gesnes in exceptionally large numbers, we were forced to send our last Reserve, a company of the Leib Grenadiers Regt 109, in the direction of 10th Coy.

I have noted 5 soldiers killed on 9th October 1918 - Romagne sous Montfaucon.

Grenadier Ferdinand RAUSCH

Reserve Lieutenant Johannes MÜNTEFERING

Grenadier Christian MÜLLER

Grenadier Alfred MÜLLER

Corporal of Landweher Leo MOOS

1. Badisches Body Guard Grenadiers Regiment 109 (Mi - Ra)

Honor Roll of the 1st Baden Body Guard Grenadiers Regiment. 109

the dead of World War

Issued by the camaraderie Badischer Grenadier Guards in 1937

http://denkmalprojekt.org/2013/1-badisches-leib-grenadier-reg-109_mi-ra.html

And then it goes on about the Commander of IR171 (Major Kaulbach) who got a new posting (to IR136) a few days earlier, and he would be killed not much later near Romagne.

Here is the entry for Major Kurt KAULBACH - His final resting place is at Consenvoye with Johann

post-103138-0-73311500-1440409643_thumb.

http://www.weltkriegsopfer.de/Krieg-Opfer-Kurt-Kaulbach_Soldaten_0_19360.html