Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marcin FELEDZIAK Infantry Regiment 171

Martin Feledziak

I have just visited a popular on-line auction site and invested in a "period wound badge"

I know they are not the items issued to the soldier but they were not a named article in any event.

As long as they are from the great war era I am looking to make up a display frame of some sort.

Not sure what colour this badge started out as,but it looks authentic,

The salesperson suggested it was silver, whatever it is a nice item.

Looks like it could be just the item worn in post 323 of this thread.

I know Junger got a Gold one becasue it is recorded in his book.

I have no evidence of an award to GF - But he is sporting a similar disc on his post war tunic.

From various reports these were authorized for wounds/Damage to health in the front line.

They came in Black, Silver and Gold.

There were some versions where the background was cut out.

post-103138-0-04269800-1403889709_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just been having a look at street view and Google Earth.
I am interested in the Kasern for Martin Feledziak born 1895.

He was serving with Fusilier Regiment No39 and this would have been their 1914 base.
Strangely the Street view images have been blanked off.

However

The below is a 2008 Wiki image with Great War period picture, looking back, added to it.

post-103138-0-71036300-1405768429_thumb.

Niederrheinisches Füsilier-Regiment Nr. 39

There are two records for him. Verlustlisten

The first report is on page 10004 from 10th November 1915 - Marcin Feledziak from malgow - He and a great number of others are reported missing.

The second report is on page 11190 of 2nd February 1916.
He is listed as a member of 4 Kompanie Fusilier regiment No39. not missing - Prisoner of war.

03/07/15 - 04/04/1916
Installation of the regiment to Hirson / Champagne and trench warfare between Tahure and Perthes, later in Selles, Rauroy,

I have already started a thread with this item. And thanks to GWF members I have a positive ID for it.

It is a timer/Fuse for a Medium/Heavy German Trench Mortar.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=214554&hl=

I believe it is relevant on this thread, I am sure that most of the people previously mentioned will have seen, handled or may even have used this item.

EDIT - John Platt Jenkinson (1) below - I am sure he would be familiar with this device given that he was an English Trench Mortar user. Serving with the Royal Field Artillery and an operator of 6inch trench mortars.

I was recently talking about the great war with a friend and he kindly gave me this "Paperweight". It had been in the garage of an old lady who wanted it clearing out.

It is ironic that it is a German fuse and a tangible item from this period of history so I am posting on this thread

post-103138-0-47612900-1405805107_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

The international Red Cross - Prisoner of War records for Martin and Joseph.

These records went on line yesterday.
It was most pleasing to see these index cards

The index cards link to scanned pages in books which add extra details.

post-103138-0-24294600-1407229297_thumb.

The search facility can be found below

http://www.icrc.org/ww1

This is the page where Martin's pink index card links to

post-103138-0-77725100-1407245419_thumb.

So it would appear that his date of internment was 9th December 1915.

Before transfer he was located at " Belle Ile " and after transfer went to " Le Puy "

I shall have to research these locations next.

This is from the page which Joseph's index card links to.

it shows them arriving on 4th March 1916

post-103138-0-84000100-1407315876_thumb.

I have moved his entry up from the bottom of the page.

on 22nd March 1916 the report goes out in the German reports.

Konrad Becker appears to be from the same unit and Kompanie 13, there are five others named on the page

This is the link to an entry for him in the Verlustlisten. ( Joseph is listed too ) both reported missing with a large list of others from Infanterie Regiment No6

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/3606373

The confirmed POW report does not go out until 8th July 1916

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/4025463

Excellent finds, Martin! I just did a cursory skim in the database and was unsuccessful in finding Ernst Feuchtwanger, my one and only familial POW, but I'll keep looking.

Looking forward to your new developments!

-Daniel

Hi Daniel,

This database is 80 per cent done so there are a good many records to go on yet.

They are very untidy to search and it is very much hit and miss. I have seen some in completely the wrong order.

The Red Cross organisation rushed the index out to match up with the centenary of the outbreak. But good on them for letting us loose on it.

It appears that they have an index where they are sorted by the first three letters of their last name.

I just typed in FELEDZIAK and choose German Main index and scrolled down.

I was very pleased to see their cards.

I have tried to locate the cards for Martin and Ernst but I have not found them as yet.

so we will have to keep looking as they add more records.

Same as for the Verlustlisten - I keep checking them for updates too.

Martin

These are thumbnails from the Red Cross web site.

at Le Puy, Haute-Loire, France

​Therefore a good chance that this is the place where Marin Feledziak ( Post 333 above ) was transferred to in December 1915

German prisoners-of-war in a former orphanage in La Roche-Arnaud (ICRC,

post-103138-0-72996500-1407590784_thumb.

Good point Jove although they list Americans in the drop down box - there is no data file to view.

The whole thing is difficult to navigate but at least we have something to play with.

I am sure they will build on their reasonable foundations, and they are not charging us either.

Hi Daniel,

This database is 80 per cent done so there are a good many records to go on yet.

They are very untidy to search and it is very much hit and miss. I have seen some in completely the wrong order.

The Red Cross organisation rushed the index out to match up with the centenary of the outbreak. But good on them for letting us loose on it.

It appears that they have an index where they are sorted by the first three letters of their last name.

I just typed in FELEDZIAK and choose German Main index and scrolled down.

I was very pleased to see their cards.

I have tried to locate the cards for Martin and Ernst but I have not found them as yet.

so we will have to keep looking as they add more records.

Same as for the Verlustlisten - I keep checking them for updates too.

Martin

Marcin,

I am very grateful for this link. I have a great-uncle who was a PoW (I posted a picture in my trunk thread) in France for many years until 1920, named Erich Steinke, born 19.10.94, but who strangely is not listed in linked ICRC list at all. Very strange indeed. I thought I could identify the PoW camp/location where he was held PoW in France........

Egbert,

I have just had a look to see if I could find Erich but he is not there yet.

We will keep him in mind though.

If you have not yet seen this story yet ( I like it and he is only on post 2 )

can I just pass you this link - I think you will appreciate it

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=216051&hl

• 2 weeks later...

There is not much more to be gleaned from the basic POW reports held by the Red Cross, For Martin Feledziak.

But he appears to have been held in the historic old Fort - Citadel at Belle Ile, a small island of the west coast of France.

He was later transfered to Le Puy

post-103138-0-80471500-1409078848_thumb.

I have been looking for images of possible POW camps in Castres, France, - where Joseph Feledziak was detained.

It may have been a large collecting centre where POW's were sent on to other sites.

However Seminaire Ancien - sounds like some type of independent building.

I can find a reference on the Red Cross site but so far an image is not forthcoming.

post-103138-0-26332100-1409156793_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Look what arrived this morning. I applied to the medal office last year. I had no idea if my Father was entiled to service medals so I sent a couple of forms that I found in the biscuit tin.

He had served with the Polish Air Force in 1943 and then then the Royal Air force in 1945-48

In the early years of the war he was, like his Father, in the Resistance movement

post-103138-0-86709500-1409914869_thumb.

I'll second that!

So now you can see my mixed up family history.

And nobody in my family wanted to tell me anything about it.

And now even the members of my family who lived through the wars are gone.

So we learn from documents and other accounts.

That is why I hunt around on this forum for information.

Martin,

could this be the "Séminaire ancien" in Castres ?

collegelescedres_zpsd47c288d.jpg

If it is the right Castres , the one down the South of France, this apparently is "L'ancien Séminaire" ("Ancien"= old, very old ; "Séminaire"= a school for priests) if I have to believe this :

"Le palais épiscopal est inauguré en 1673 mais le jardin ne fut mis en oeuvre que plus tard par Mgr de Maupeou. Toutefois, il existait déjà devant le palais, un jardin très réduit car le fossé des fortifications de la ville empruntait l'ancien ravin du TRAUC qui se jetait dans l'Agoût, à environ 100 m en aval de la chaussée (c'est à dire à la hauteur du bassin actuel). Ce jardin allait en pente douce vers la muraille de l'enceinte fortifiée. La surface aplanie n'existait pas.
Par délibération du 26 octobre 1676, Mgr de Tubœuf fait démolir la muraille des remparts et combler le fossé, tandis qu'une nouvelle muraille était construite. Ces travaux ont eu lieu jusqu'en 1682, à la mort de Mgr de Tubœuf. Ils reprennent avec Mgr de Maupeou nommé Evêque de Castres le 29 janvier 1694.
Le remblais est comblé pour aplanir le futur jardin. Un mur de soutènement est construit le long de la rivière, situant le jardin à un peu plus de 10 m par rapport au niveau de l'Agoût. Le remblaiement du jardin se termine en 1696 et le jardin est achevé vers 1700. Depuis il a conservé le même aspect.
Une grande muraille de pierre le ceinturant est construite en 1800. A l'époque napoléonniène, ces murailles sont abattues et le jardin est réouvert au public. La construction du pont biais en 1894 a permis de combler définitivement le fossé qui séparait l'ancien séminaire, du sud du jardin
."

(from the town's own website http://www.ville-castres.fr/contenus/_contenus.php?clef=histoire )

and it basically says : the bishop's palace was built in 1673, but the garden was not laid out untill much later, and it was much bigger before. And they built a wall around the garden, and they demolished the wall again. And in 1894 they built a bridge across the ditch that seperated the old Seminary from the garden. And this l'ancien Séminaire was located south of the garden.

But to be absolutely sure I think it's best if you contact the city of Castres to confirm.

Jan - That is a good spot and it has to be a high contender..

it would have had to have held 520 German POW's in May 1915
and one of my Great Uncles, Josef (9) below, would have joined them the following year.

I am sure it is Castres in the Mid-South so I shall look again, and see if it is in street view.
I am fairly confident you have solved it.

Egbert - Yes, you picked me up on my very first postings, when I was looking for Number (3) Johann of Pioneer Battalion No 29.
Little did I know that I was going to find the clues on this forum for the 11 others on my signature below.

You have inspired me to do this looking for clues.
and it is a rewarding venture..

It was Daniel too - but he must be on vacation, I am sure he is not far away.

P.S I hope you are reading Jans "Frit'z thread" too !! IR16
Some revealing facts
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=216051