Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Empires of the dead - David Crane

Dave T

Before I go ahead and purchase I would be interested in the views of anyone who has read or is in the process of reading this book about Fabian Ware.

I have come across a couple of conflicting reviews, one very positive and one very disappointing.

Thanks

Dave

CGM,

Thank you, an interesting insight to the author's aims

Dave

I bought a copy in Waterstone's in Winchester yesterday: I thought it looked very good, browsing through it. I did read a review (but forget where) which was very positive, and I see it has been short-listed for the Samuel Johnson prize for non-fiction (or "Information Books" as Hampshire Libraries would call it). As Mrs B was with me at the time and counter-signed the purchase application I can only assume she was impressed, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read it, and i found it quite good.

However, it's not a straightforward biography, as it deals a lot with Fabian Ware's beliefs and his actions to follow those beliefs. There's quite a bit of repetition at times, which is annoying. Whilst it doesn't start with his birth (althought here's a bit about his upbringing), it doesn't take his personal story on after the First World War. I'd have liked to have known more about what he did away from (and after) the CWGC, but there's nothing.

He's buried in Gloucester Cathedral, but again there's nothing about his death or how he came to be buried there. I'd also have liked some insight on the wording on his memorial in the Cathedral. This lists his achievements, but ranks the formation of the CWGC in about third or fourth place!

All in all, a good read (and a book worth having or reading), but I do have the feeling that it could have been better!

I'm surprised to see a report that Fabian Ware is buried in Gloucester Cathedral as he is buried in the Holy Trinity Churchyard, Amberley, Gloucestershire where he was living at the time.

You can see a photograph of his grave HERE.

CGM

It's some years since I was there, but there is a memorial to him in Gloucester Cathedral.

I also assumed the book wasn't a biography as such, but an examination of how he came to be the leading force behind the establishment of the IWGC. Still on my reading pile, but working its way to the top.

I think I read in a published review that there is hardly any surviving archival material about him outside his CWGC work. He didn't want it preserved and his wife destroyed it (or something like that)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised to see a report that Fabian Ware is buried in Gloucester Cathedral as he is buried in the Holy Trinity Churchyard, Amberley, Gloucestershire where he was living at the time.

You can see a photograph of his grave HERE.

CGM

Sorry ..... my mistake - it's obviously incorrect of me to say that he is burried there!

Decent review by an excellent reviewer (Gavin Stamp) in last weeks Speccie, which I have only just sobered up enough to read . . . I'll be ordering it on the basis of this review.

Speccie comes out on ... is it Friday? Good party, then? Any photos?

I've still not read or started to read the book, but all the reviews I've seen look very good so it's pericolating to the top of the pile.

Decent review by an excellent reviewer (Gavin Stamp) in last weeks Speccie, which I have only just sobered up enough to read . . . I'll be ordering it on the basis of this review.

I'm 75 pages into 'Empires of the Dead' and enjoying it immensely. Crane has a really pleasant style and I can see why it was short listed for the Samuel Johnson prize. Funnily enough the book it reminds me of most is Gavin Stamp's book 'The Memorial to the Missing of the Somme'. Crane is doing for Ware what Stamp did for Lutyens - placing his greatest work in the context of his life and times

David

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Another prersent from Santa, looking forward to reading this. I paid my respects to Fabian Ware when I visited Amberley in October. Incidentally I had a splendid pint in the pub just down the road from the church!

Michelle

I finished it this morning and definitely enjoyed it. I had a slight moment on page 48 (last sentence of 2nd para) but overall I thought it was an excellent read which was very informative.

I confess I started reading it a few weeks pre-Festive Season, and gave up, but I think that was more due to being utterly cream-crackered at work.

I shall try again soon.

I am reading it, seems a decent book. However like so many modern books it could have done with someone with a knowledge of the subject doing some proofreading, some annoying spelling mistakes of French place-names.

Anyone who enjoyed David Crane's "Empires of the Dead" might also enjoy "The Unending Vigil: The History of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission" by Philip Longworth originally published in 1967 and most recently re-printed in 2003 by Leo Cooper.

David Crane says in the acknowledgements: "The first debt of anyone writing about the Imperial War Graves Commission will always be to its original historian Philip Longworth..." He also acknowledges a debt to Gavin Stamp and suggests "no-one should visit Lutyens' great memorial at Thiepval without taking along Gavin Stamp's brilliant The Memorial to the Missing of the Somme." Praise indeed.

MG

Anyone who enjoyed David Crane's "Empires of the Dead" might also enjoy "The Unending Vigil: The History of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission" by Philip Longworth originally published in 1967 and most recently re-printed in 2003 by Leo Cooper.

David Crane says in the acknowledgements: "The first debt of anyone writing about the Imperial War Graves Commission will always be to its original historian Philip Longworth..." He also acknowledges a debt to Gavin Stamp and suggests "no-one should visit Lutyens' great memorial at Thiepval without taking along Gavin Stamp's brilliant The Memorial to the Missing of the Somme." Praise indeed.

MG

Well earned praise. Stamp's book is brilliant. I've not read Longworth but it's going on the ever lengthening list

David

Well earned praise. Stamp's book is brilliant. I've not read Longworth but it's going on the ever lengthening list

David

He writes as Piloti in Private Eye. Doesn't always get his facts right though. MG

"Empires of the Dead" & "The Unending Vigil:...... I have both of these books and have found them to be informative and poignant.... a good read for those who are interested in the subject but also for the more casual reader.

Still wading through this... a difficult read to say the least.... not helped when one reads about the TF first arriving on the Western Front in 'November 1914'. That would be news to half a dozen TF units. Rather unfortunate to see such basic errors. I suspect that it will be like "Six Weeks" where the excellent research in general is spoiled by some howlers. MG