Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Empires of the dead - David Crane

Dave T

• 1 month later...

Just finished this, which came as a Christmas pressie. Very informative.

I come away with the view that many of the "basics" of how the CWGC commemorates the men would not have happened with the single-minded determination of someone like Major General Ware, who basically overrode any opposition to his vision. Although I have to say, I didnt warm to him as a human being.

Just finished this, which came as a Christmas pressie. Very informative.

I come away with the view that many of the "basics" of how the CWGC commemorates the men would not have happened with the single-minded determination of someone like Major General Ware, who basically overrode any opposition to his vision. Although I have to say, I didnt warm to him as a human being.

I thought the same thing. In sporting terms I saw him as like Nick Faldo or Alex Ferguson - you would want him on your side but you certainly would not want to be stuck on a desert island with him :whistle:

David

Hasnt Ferguson just written something to the effect that the beatings he received at school helped form his character. Hmm, I thought, maybe the best argument I've heard against corporal punishment.

• 1 month later...

"How one man's vision led to the creation of WW1's war graves". A very well-written, moving account by David Crane of the building of the British and Commonwealth war cemeteries. In my ignorance I was until reading this book unaware of the remarkable painting 'Menin Gate at Midnight' by the war-artist Will Longstaff.

If you liked this book, then you might also be interested in Philip Longworth's

"The Unending Vigil: The History of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission"

Which is just as good.