Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The BBC's Centenary Plans

cliff brown

Hi David,

I think you must be referring to the 1968(?) documentary as i saw that same interview. I am annoyed with myself as i had the link to that whole series of which I had watched about half, when the link became invalid! I should have downloaded the whole thing onto a stick or something. Don't think I realised that U tube wasn't there forever!

Hazel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIgZC-LLHYM

It's still there Hazel. The series was 1964 and the gas episode was number 7. I haven't watched it for ages so I hope my top of the head quotes were right!

David

The BBC's coverage has kicked off already with the Radio 3 series "Music on the Brink" looking at classical music and culture in the main European capitals at the start of 1914. The easiest way to find all the material (which includes podcasts, photo gallerie etc) is via the links in this blog post http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio3/posts/WW1-Music-on-the-Brink-Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIgZC-LLHYM

It's still there Hazel. The series was 1964 and the gas episode was number 7. I haven't watched it for ages so I hope my top of the head quotes were right!

David

Thanks David! today I will get one of those stick things!

H

The BBC's coverage has kicked off already with the Radio 3 series "Music on the Brink" looking at classical music and culture in the main European capitals at the start of 1914. The easiest way to find all the material (which includes podcasts, photo gallerie etc) is via the links in this blog post http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio3/posts/WW1-Music-on-the-Brink-Highlights

I've been really enjoying this. I know there is always the danger of slipping into full cliche mode of 'golden Edwardian sunsets', 'fin de siècle' stuff, but it is worth being reminded of what a tremendously rich cultural landscape there was in 1914

David

I've been really enjoying this. I know there is always the danger of slipping into full cliche mode of 'golden Edwardian sunsets', 'fin de siècle' stuff, but it is worth being reminded of what a tremendously rich cultural landscape there was in 1914

David

I too have been enjoying this, it is really well done especially the fictional postcards.

There is no definitive list by the BBC or anyone else.

I know that Michael Portillo is scheduled to be fronting (as he did for "British Railway Journeys") a series about the war and the railways. It is due to start filming in February.

I'm not sure about he entire spread of the rpogramme, but when I first discussed it with the producer it was to start with the Schlieffen Plan and the expansion of the railways west of the Rhine, continue through Luxembourg (which I am due to be the 'expert' on) and then take in Metz, etc.

The Luxembourg spy ring will also feature.

• 2 weeks later...

The BBC announced today that it will be showing two of the most important series ever made about World War One - The Great War, whose 26 episodes were first screened in 1964; and The First World War, based on the work of Sir Hew Strachan, the country’s most eminent military historian, and first shown in 2003.

The First World War will transmit in early spring 2014, whilst The Great War will air in autumn 2014, on BBC Four.

Click here for the full story from the BBC website. The First World War was originally shown on Channel 4.