Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The BBC's Centenary Plans

cliff brown

I saw that, and I'm most interested in the 'outtakes' programme from The Great War series,which should be fascinating. I also like the look of Paxo's 4 parter, which ties in with his latest book. Based on comments elsewhere about his book, and his own comments on how the Great War is viewed these days, I'm hoping for a reasoned discourse.

This bloke is a bit behind the times (not a pun).

In fact, the BBC is also starting to research a possible series (no idea how long) on the subject of the importance of the railways in the war.

I can't say any more yet, I'm waiting for news myself.

If it's to do with railways, i expect there'll be a delay :glare:

Wrong type of rain on the lens?

Bruce

The delay as I understand it is that those that be have not yet decided just how to play it, but it looks fairly certain that the series will be made. Hopefully.

The BBC local radio network will be busy during the centenary period.

The BBC local radio network will be busy during the centenary period.

See an

earlier thread

in the Centenary sub-forum. (Might be an idea for the mods to move this current thread there?)

Moonraker

It has just occured to me that I failed to make it clear that the proposed BBC series will be about railways in France and Germany and elsewhere. For example, their part in the Schlieffen Plan.

Definitely not about British railways.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/oct/16/bbc-first-world-war-anniversary-season

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/bbc-reveals-wwi-centenary-plans/5062538.article?blocktitle=LATEST-NEWS&contentID=870

The BBC has unveiled its most ambitious television season ever – 130 programmes spanning 2,500 hours – that will air over four years to mark the centenary of the first world war.

The season is designed to match the timespan of the 1914-18 war, and include a daily BBC Radio 4 drama.

Programming will also include an exclusive interview with media mogul Rupert Murdoch, who will talk about the role his father played reporting on the Gallipoli campaign.

There will also be documentaries from Jeremy Paxman and historians Max Hastings and Niall Ferguson, as well as a frontline medical drama featuring Oona Chaplin.

Thought to rival the BBC's Olympics coverage in its ambition, the BBC's first world war centenary season is an example of the vision of the BBC as "the place everyone goes to for the big events" that was outlined by new director general Tony Hall last week.

See an

earlier thread

in the Centenary sub-forum. (Might be an idea for the mods to move this current thread there?)

Moonraker

All the other regions will be doing the same thing Ashley discussed in that thread, in case you have any stories outside of Gloucestershire/Wiltshire/Bristol!

Lives of the First World War is actually going to be working with the BBC closely to ensure that all of the stories covered in World War One at Home are remembered on Lives so that these are preserved beyond the broadcasts. I believe the BBC will be making the broadcasts available online as well for a time after they go out on TV/radio so that people will be able to listen or watch back.

Matthew

IWM

I wonder if there will be any coverage of the "forgotten" Western Front battles of 1915? Perhaps BBC Scotland will do something related to the Battle of Loos.

Moriaty

I know this has been discussed before, but should the Beeb (and indeed all others) be referring to this as "World War One", "The First World War" or "The Great War"?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwone/

Their earlier series in the 60's was "The Great War", so why not use that again. I would have thought that "World War One" would be the least appropriate/correct title to use.

Pedantic? Maybe.

I saw that, and I'm most interested in the 'outtakes' programme from The Great War series,which should be fascinating.

I wonder if they might also make other resources which they acquired for the series available - texts/ recordings of interviews for example.

Roger.

I know this has been discussed before, but should the Beeb (and indeed all others) be referring to this as "World War One", "The First World War" or "The Great War"?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwone/

Their earlier series in the 60's was "The Great War", so why not use that again. I would have thought that "World War One" would be the least appropriate/correct title to use.

Pedantic? Maybe.

Judging from the occasional newbie who posts on the Forum, some people don't realise that "the Great War" is "World War One". And some pedants might get exercised about a war being thought to be "great" - as in having a great time.

Moonraker

• 2 months later...

I am right in thinking that the Great War series only interviewed veterans with the 1914 or the 1914-15 Star? Almost as if they were the only veterans considered 'worthy'. I am sure I read that somewhere but, as usual, did not make a note of the reference at the time.

Thanks

Neil

I am the lucky chap who has been commissioned by the BBC to research the individuals concerned in the "Great War" series. This is to validate their stories, fill in gaps, etc. Although the majority of British soldiers interviewed did have a Star it is not true to say that they all did. I have been through all the correspondence that begins when they responded to a "Radio Times" request for people to come forward and have not seen any documentary evidence that possession of a Star came into it. Selection was much more down to whether they had an interesting story to tell.

I am the lucky chap who has been commissioned by the BBC to research the individuals concerned in the "Great War" series. This is to validate their stories, fill in gaps, etc. Although the majority of British soldiers interviewed did have a Star it is not true to say that they all did. I have been through all the correspondence that begins when they responded to a "Radio Times" request for people to come forward and have not seen any documentary evidence that possession of a Star came into it. Selection was much more down to whether they had an interesting story to tell.

Chris

What a fascinating task. The three who left an indelible memory with me were talking about the first gas attack in April 1915. One in particular talked about French soldiers running by them having been gassed and the British officer, not understanding, ordering his men to shoot them, presumably as deserters. The man says, almost matter of factly, "which we did". Another talked of a man who had been gassed scrabbling at his throat. But the image was made horrifying by the fact that he had lost his hand and that the scrabbling was with a bloodied wrist. I will be interested to see if these recollections stand up to scrutiny

David

Chris

What a fascinating task. The three who left an indelible memory with me were talking about the first gas attack in April 1915. One in particular talked about French soldiers running by them having been gassed and the British officer, not understanding, ordering his men to shoot them, presumably as deserters. The man says, almost matter of factly, "which we did". Another talked of a man who had been gassed scrabbling at his throat. But the image was made horrifying by the fact that he had lost his hand and that the scrabbling was with a bloodied wrist. I will be interested to see if these recollections stand up to scrutiny

David

Hi David,

I think you must be referring to the 1968(?) documentary as i saw that same interview. I am annoyed with myself as i had the link to that whole series of which I had watched about half, when the link became invalid! I should have downloaded the whole thing onto a stick or something. Don't think I realised that U tube wasn't there forever!

Hazel