Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Welsh Dragon badge....

Guest bert

Well, Herr Doktor, I was hoping that perhaps Langley Baston had a Royal Welsh Fusiliers cap badge with a provenance, e.g., one that came with medals, and that he could hazard a guess as to which alloy it was struck from. I had two very satisfactory ones (minor variations) in my original collection (c. 1966 to 1975) and both were struck from gilding metal or red brass. In the early 1970s, restrikes began to appear (which I first saw at the arms fair in the Royal Lancaster), from a slightly damaged die (missing the tip of one of the flames). These were in a yellower alloy (higher proportion of zinc) and were quite obvious at the time, but have taken on a nice look after thirty-odd years of handling. But now I am informed that there are perfectly good ones made of yellow brass, dating from the later years of the war. Unfortunately, my old ears played tricks on me, and it seems that L.B. is one of those meteorologist chappies. Can't be helped, I suppose, but perhaps he can tell us about the rain tomorrow?

RWF badges seem to be controversial to say the least. I do believe that I will refrain from any more purchases of same, sight unseen, anyway.

Roger...Thank you for the address. I will write the gentleman with further inquries.

DrB

:rolleyes: