Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DCM and MM&bar

Desmond7

Pals efforts required

Help needed.

Please look at teenager 2nd from left bottom row. Do you think the picture at the bottom is of same man roughly 10 years on. I can see the similarities. Can you?

Plus this anti-snobbery letter is great!

Letting off steam ...

Correspondence

A distinguished Ballymena soldier

(To the Editor)

Dear Sir - I observe with pleasure in this week's issue of the 'Ballymena Observer' where Mr. Samuel Hood and the

Urban Council have brought to the notice of the general public, the names

of several officers from this district who have distinguished themselves on the field of battle.

We all rejoice with the relatives of those distinguished soldiers and are proud of the brave County Antrim officers

who have been conspicuous among the millions of soldiers for their noble deeds. I had no idea there were so many

from these parts that we could be so especially proud of, but if you will allow me space in your paper, I will add

another, whose name seems to have been omitted from the list.

His is not an officers name, but as Burns would say 'a poor but honest soger' 23504 Pioneer R. Wylie, Royal

Engineers who was mentioned in despatches and has been recommended in recognition for 'conspicuous bravery in

the field'.

He is a real Ballymena man, was born and brought up in King Street, Harryville and now lives in Gilmore Street with

his family.

Private Wylie is quite young and smart and a good type of Irish soldier though he has just been discharged from the

army with 25 shillings per week of a pension, having been incapacitated

through gas used by the Germans. When I see Wylie, I always like to salute him and when I see a group of young

men and Wylie near by, I point to him and say, 'Go thou and do likewise.'

Yours Faithfully,

Andrew McQuiston.

This letter set the cat amongst the pigeons when the Urban Council next met. Mr. McQuiston was reflecting the

views of many 'real Ballymena folk' that the officers from the 'big house' families of the district, some of whom had

only limited contact with the town and common people were receiving more than their fair share of publicity.

Private Wylie's name was hurriedly added to the Urban Council's list of congratulations - causing several red faces in

the chamber! It would not be the last time, that the ordinary 'sogers' would take the great and good of the Urban

Council to task for their often contemptuous remarks about the rank and file. Ed.

July 16, 1915

post-1-1096063568.jpg

Well said, Mr. McWhiston for ensuring that Pte Wylie was not overlooked and also the editor of the Ballymena Journal for his comments.

Des - Do you mean that you were unsure that the young footballer second from the left in the front row was Pte Wylie? I would say that he is certainly the older man in the Newspaper cutting. Or do you mean John Houston.

kate

Kate - I'm certain that the v.young boy in the old team picture is Houston.

Engineer R.Wylie's eyes and rather wide mouth look v. much like the younger 'Robert Wylie' in the team picture. I reckon they are one and the same.

What I hope to do is use the old team pic, in conjunction with the after-war pic which I have AND with various 'head and shoulder pics' and info to build up an article similar to the 'Five Mates' story earlier on this thread.

BTW if anyone is interested, Ballymena Reference Library are hosting a 'Great War Family History' open day on Saturday, 16 October from 10.30am to 3.00pm.

Myself and another member of this forum are heavily involved and response to publicity has been v.good.

Robert Thompson, the man who compiled the 'Bushmills Heros' and 'Ballymoney Heros' books is coming along.

If anyone is up and around the Ballymena area on that date, I'd be glad to see them.

The ultimate aim is to 'gather in' any old family pics/documentation etc which will enable myself and my fellow Ballymena researcher - Hi J! - to work towards the final compilation of a book which will feature (a) the most complete database ever on the Borough War memorial; (B) a history of the district's soldiers from 14-18.

Website is the next move. After that the mounting of an exhibition in 2006 when (hopefully) our town's new museum will be opening.

Cheers Des

Hi Des,

Thoroughly enjoyed the piece. Great tribute to the men involved.

On Campbell i.e. the DCM man, not the officer with the diary, the following is from "The History of the First Seven Battalions of the Royal Irish Rifles" by Cyril Falls:

7463 Cambell, Rfn. W. J. A. 1st Bn. DCM London Gazette 5/8/15

" " " " Bar to DCM London Gazette 15/3/16

The History has a list of all the men from the first seven Batts who were decorated, but doesn't say for what or where. It just gives the above level of detail.

Regards,

Liam.

Thanks Liam - you and Enoch ;) have come up with the same guy. I'm 'iffy' about this being one and the same. But you never know, it will take a bit more chasing from me I think. Appreciated.

Love it, if he was!

Has anyone else come across old newspaper stories about guys who may have been 'recommended' for medals such as the DCM, but send letters to this effect home to parents etc who rush out to tell the neighbours and thus the press finds out?

I think this happens quite frequently. Also families getting mixed up between medals and gallantry certificates etc.

Cheers, Des

Hi Des,

I don't know whether this helps or confuses, but there was a Campbell in the 6th RIR (again not our friend with the diary) who was mentioned in dispatches:

6223 Campbell, Rfn. J. 6th Bn. M.I.D. 6/12/1916.

Regards,

Liam.

I have checked my early 1915 list - there is a James Campbell from Galgorm Road in the Royal Irish Rifles.

Problem is he's in with the 'New Army' boys who go locally to 12th RIR. Would tend to rule out 1st Btn.?

Checked into my 'regulars and reservists' from 1914 and no James Campbell there.

Ho hum - more trawling required!

Cheers all

Des

• 7 months later...

Just came across this ....

He would have been John McNabney DCM MM and Bar's nephew and obviously the son of Samuel McNabney who also served in the REs during WW1. Coming across quite a few of these but this one stood out.

Name: McNABNEY, SAMUEL

Initials: S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

Unit Text: 7th Sqdn.

Date of Death: 08/08/1944

Service No: 164928

Additional information: Son of Samuel and Agnes McNabney, of Ballymena, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Mil. Plot. Row 2. Grave 9.

Cemetery: BOLBEC COMMUNAL CEMETERY

In 1943, No 7 was one of the initial squadrons which formed the Pathfinder Force and converted to Lancasters.

post-1582-1116948171.jpg

Edited by Desmond7