Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DCM and MM&bar

Desmond7

Would love anymore information on the man below. No notes of why or how he received these awards. Obviously a very brave man -- it's amazing to find pictures of him in local football teams before and after the war ... the post-war pics are particularly interesting! It's somewhat strange to see him alongside many other local men who also came through the war.

Distinguished Conduct Medal

57838 Sergeant John McNabney, Royal Engineers, Signal Company, is awarded the DCM. He is a son of Mrs. McNabney, 9, Larne Street, Harryville, Ballymena and prior to joining the colours was prominent in local football circles, playing for South End Rangers and Cliftonville FC. He was awarded the Military medal in 1917 for gallantry in the field and subsequently a bar to the Medal, while he also holds the Ulster Division parchement certificate. His brother Pte. Samuel McNabney is serving with the Engineers.

NOV. 15 1918

Des

Hi Des

Could not find him (or any other with same surname) on the on-line London Gazette for any award during any period between 1900-97.

Tried: McNabney, MacNabney, Mcnabney, McNabny; Again, no results.

Sure he was enlisted under this name? Otherwise, can't see how all 3 citations could be omitted.

Ho, hum... perplexing.

Richard

Desmond

Don't know whether you have already found these but your man is listed in London Gazette 12th March 1918. (looks like M.M.)

26th August 1918 (Bar to Military Medal.)

14th Feb. 1919 (D.C.M.) This entry is again a list and says that the conduct for which these men were awarded the DCM will be listed at the first opportunity later.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to look at any later entries.

Each time he is numbered 57836 not 8, but I'm sure it's him.

All of these are listings not citations, which is a bit disappointing.

Kate

Kate

Many thanks to Dick and Kate ....

Yeah, I just got the basics of newspaper snippets. Love to know more about this guy.

At the risk of making myself look like a complete plonker .. how do you get on to the London Gazette? Everytime I try it the screen is a blue blank and will not load?

Cheers folks,

Des

Sorry Des

Been watching Casualty.

I get on it like this:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/www.asp?webType=0

or something like that.

Will go on it again in a minute and write what I found.

kate

Kate - many thanks - I must be doing sumfink wrong!

You're a star.

Des

Gazette Edition Issue 30573 - 12th March 1918

page 3226 says

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the Military medal for bravery in the Field to the undermentioned Non-commissioned Officers & Men:

page 3240

57836 Cpl.(A/Sjt.) J. McNabney, R.E. (Ballymena)

Gazette Edition issue 30873 - 26th August 1918

page 10110 says

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the award of a bar to the Military Medal to the undermentioned Non-commissioned Officers and Men:

page 100112

57836 Cpl. (A/Sjt.) J. McNabney M.M. R.E. (Ballymena)

Gazette Edition issue 31186 - 14th February 1919

page 2414 says

His majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the Distinguished Conduct Medal to the undermentioned Warrant Officers, Non commissioned Officers and Men for gallantry and distinguished service in the Field. The acts of gallantry for which the decorations have been awarded will be announced in the London Gazette as early as possible:

page (sorry I didn't note its number but the list is alphabetical)

57836 Sjt. J. McNabney M.M. 36th Div. Sig. Coy. R.E. (Ballymena)

Des. If you still can't get onto the site I'm sure somebody else will know better than me how to give you the link. If you can't I'll keep looking to see if there is a citation but no other issues came up on a McNabney search.

kate

You have been great - I know now that all is OK.

You deserve this - pity it's only cyber choc!! or I'd have some.

Edited by Desmond7

And Des - I need an extra bar for this.

By putting in 57836 I got this:

gazette Issue May 1917

pg. 1

The following is a continuation of Sir Douglas Haig's Despatch of 9th April submitting names* deserving of special mention published in the Gazette of Tuesday 15th May 1917.

*The list of names is being published in 6 separate supplements at intervals of a few days (Sect 2 (this one) is R. A. & R. Eng.

pg 4880

McNabney No. 57836 Corpl.(acting Serjt.) J.

Then by putting in Douglas Haig I got this:

Gazette issue 30072 15th May 1917

pg. 1

War Office

15th May 1917

The following despatch has been received by the Secretary of Stae for War from Field Marshal Sir Douglas Haig G.C.B., C. in C. of the British Armies in France

GHQ

9th April 1917

Sir

I have the honour to submit a list of names of those officers, ladies, non commissioned officers & men serving, or who have served, under my command whose distinguished and gallant service and devotion to duty I consider deserving of special mention.

I have the honour to be etc,etc,etc

Douglas Haig

This looks like a Mentioned in Despatches to me.

Could I have a Crunchie?

Kate

It's a Crunchie V one of those huge sticks of Toblerone which Woolies sell at Xmas.

So, your choice .... that delicious honeycombe moment with a Crunchy or a great big feed me hour with the Toblerone on which you can break your teeth.

The choice is yours ... me, I'd go for the overkill. Toblerone rules .. in a neutral sort of way!

Once again Kate - CHEERS

Kate

Did you get the details from the on-line LG?

I ask since I typed in the same - and similar derivations/misspelling - name etc. for as wide a search as possible (after a no-show for just WW1) and it still came up blank.

Cheers

Richard

(I think I deserve a sun-melted Curly Wurly - do they still do those?) ;)

O.K. Toblerone it is.

But - that 1917 may not have been a mentioned in despatches but a mention which resulted in him getting the Military Medal. You thought he had got the Military Medal in 1917 didn't you?

The London Gazette is a strange and terrible place.

Richard got no mentions with searching on McNabney. I only got 3 mentions putting in McNabney (all of which had his number beside them) and only 1 mention when I searched on 57836 and it was none of the 3 earlier McNabney ones.

Perhaps we will get the citation for the D.S.C. by putting in distinguished service or something.

On second thoughts I think I will have a Fry's Cream bar or whatever those bars were that were dark chocolate with something white in the middle which you could lick first.

Kate

Thanks Kate.

LG certainly is a most capricious beast.

I found my g-grandfather, with a hardly uncommon fore- or surname, first time I searched a few months ago, but this one not a jot.

Will have to use service numbers as well in future.

Cheers

Richard

For conspicuous searchery, the order of the Toberlone is conferred on Kate Sandyford ... in addition to the Dist. Cadbury Cross already awarded for meritorious service.

Edited by Desmond7

In addition, Richard DirtyDick has been granted an hon. mention in the Divisional records and can now claim his reward of Curly Wurlys.

:D

Edited by Desmond7

Tsshh... no-one has awarded themselves that mainstay of the 1960s - the CDM.

"Award yourself the CDM - the Cadbury's Dairy Milk" as the vacuum-formed plastic advert used to say...

desmond,

r.w.walker's book of dcm recipients,lists his l.g. date as 10/1/20

i hope this will be of help

enoch

l.g. 10 jan 1920 page 448

57836 sgt j. mc nabney , m.m. 36th div. sig. coy. r.e. (ballymena)

in the dadizeele sector , during the fighting from 28th september to 5th october 1918, this n.c.o. was constantly out repairing lines under heavy shell fire and it was cheifly due to his courage and fearlessness that communacation was maintained . on the 2nd october he went out accompanied by another n.c.o. and remained out during a very heavy barrage, maintaining communiacation during the enemy counter attack.

enoch

Enoch - top class - thank you very much for your efforts. You're a credit to the forum, Sah!

PS I will now make the 'Baggies' my second team!

des

desmond,

happy to help, the albion need all the supporters we can get(and a few players!)

enoch

by the way have any information on 8185 sgt john green d.c.m. of the irish rifles,he is listed in the west brom book of rememberance but the london gazette says he comes from ireland?(he survived the war)

Enoch - don't have any Greens locally that I can think of from the top of my head. I'll look back through the notes.

Could I ask you a MAJOR favour? Do you have this book of DCM recipients? If so, could I ask for some further look ups?

No rush ... you've been very good to me already.

Cheers

Des

Kate and Dick - London Gazette site is the biggest search engine nightmare I have ever encountered!!! Aaarghghhh! Thanks to those who did some 'tips' about it on the forum recently. Your work has been in vain.

Hope you enjoyed the chocs! ;)

desmond , i been happy to look throught walkers book for you, just give me the list of names

enoch

Enoch - thanks for the kind offer. I have no 'action description' for these men.

Any citation details would be great. Take your time. You're doing me a big favour.

Double honour

Regimental Quartermaster Sgt. Samuel Cumming, RIR, son of Mr. Thomas Cumming of Bottom, Ballymena has been granted the Meritorious Service Medal. The recipient of the honour enlisted at the outbreak of war and went to the front with the Ulster Division. Previous to enlistment he was in office of Mr. J. K. Currie, Solicitor, Ballymena.

And :-

12/18926 R.Q.M.S. Samuel Cumming, RIR has been awarded the distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous gallantry in action. The announcement of two such awards in so short a time is a unique record.

Ballymena Observer, June 21, 1918

Rifleman Robert Smyth, Royal Irish Rifles, who has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, is a son of Mr. Robert Smyth, Cromkill, Ballymena.

He was at one time in Australia, and prior to enlisting was working on his father’s farm at home. Rifleman Smyth was wounded on 19th July and is at present in King George V Hospital, Dublin. The distinction is awarded to him for conspicuous devotion in rescuing wounded men under shell fire.

Ballymena Observer. November 23, 1917

Company Sergt. Major S. Crea, Royal Irish Rifles, of Ballycraigy, Ballymena, is awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for a recent act of gallantry when he went to the aid of a wounded soldier under fire. He was a member of the Ulster Volunteer Force.

Ballymena Observer, July 27, 1917

DCM for Ballymena soldier

Private James Campbell, Garrison Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for bravery in the field. Private Campbell, who was wounded in France, was serving with the 12th Royal Irish

Rifles when he won his distinction and is now serving in another war theatre with the Royal Irish Fusiliers. He had a brother who served in the South African War and his brother, Pte. Joseph Campbell, Royal Scots, was wounded twice in the present war.

Ballymena Observer, April 13, 1917

desmond,

i will post the london gazette dates first and then start trawling through the london gazette site, i hope that will be ok?

enoch