Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards

Frajohn

On 24/11/2009 at 11:31, Hett65 said:

Treetop

Oliver John Paskin born 3rd May 1891 at Stafford joined Durham County Constabulary on 21st October 1912 as PC 874, 3rd class constable. Occupation not listed, he was 5'11, his police file states he was married with three children but does not say if he was married before he joined police or in service.

4.11.1912 Recruit posted to Jarrow

1.5.1913 Appointed 2nd class constable

16.7.1913 At Jarrow Police Court, the Mayor of Jarrow presented him with an ambulance certificate for which he qualified in a recent examination.

February 1914 Transfered to Southwick, Sunderland

10.9.1914 Resigned to join HMF,enlisted as Pte 12725 Coldstream Guards. I do not have his army history and cannot find it on Ancestry, he was promoted to Serjeant.

17.12.1917 London Gazette Lance Serjeant (Acting Serjeant) O. J. Paskin (Stafford) award of Croix de Guerre

8.4.1919 Re-admitted to police as 6 years PC 465 stationed Jarrow

November 1929 Station duties (boilers etc)

16.10.1933 Posted Hylton Colliery as additional PC

1.11.1934 22 years service

31.3.1939 Retired on pension

26.8.1939 Re-admitted a 1st Police Reserve number 0101 stationed Jarrow

30.6.1942 Resigned from Police Reserve

25.8.1964 Died

If the lady in question has any other information on him (wife and children details or a photograph of him I would appreciate it for my records)

John

Oliver John Paskin was my great grandfather. He died 32 years before I was born. He was my dad's grandfather (mums father) do you have any more information? I am greatly interested! He was also awarded the Croix de Guerre!!

52 minutes ago, FreyaHarris said:

Oliver John Paskin was my great grandfather. He died 32 years before I was born. He was my dad's grandfather (mums father) do you have any more information? I am greatly interested! He was also awarded the Croix de Guerre!!

See here:

If you have acess to the British Newspaper Archive, then there's a photo of your relative (with a small portrait photo) regarding his awarding of the Croix de Guerre by France, in the Staffordshire Advertiser for the 1st of December 1917.

Cheers,

Derek.

• 4 years later...
On 17/09/2004 at 20:59, Frajohn said:

Hi

I have a copy of the diaries of the 2nd Battalion, Coldstream Guards for the period August 1915 until early 1919.

The majority of the pages are reasonable, although there are a minority that are somewhat illegible.

I am happy to look up any information in those diaries.

John

Hello John, I’m researching No. 20499 Private Albert Edward Bradshaw of the 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards who died on the 30 Aug 1918.  Do you have any idea of the circumstances of his death please?

The fact that Albert is buried in St Sever cemetery shows that he almost certainly died of wounds, this is confirmed by his record in SDGW,

The 2nd Battalion took part in an action at St Leger on August 27th 1918, during this action the battalion recorded almost 200 OR's wounded, I would think that it is probable that it was during this action that Albert received the injuries that resulted in his death.  It is, of course, a possibility that he was wounded prior to that action, although in general Augst was a relatively quite month,

There is a two page account of the action on the 27th in the diaries.

Kind regards

John

Re. Bradshaw, my notes says KIA and the victory medal is known to have been on the market 

thats both his ww1 medals then that are about - always nice to know

it was the British War Medal I had - purchased 2004 - looks like i might have sold it to a forum member at some point (see other thread)