Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards

Frajohn

Hi

I have a copy of the diaries of the 2nd Battalion, Coldstream Guards for the period August 1915 until early 1919.

The majority of the pages are reasonable, although there are a minority that are somewhat illegible.

I am happy to look up any information in those diaries.

John

Did you download these or access them at the NA ?

Regards

Leigh

If your interested in the Coldstream Guards i got a copy of AIR 1/2251/209/54/17 'Reoprt on infantry attack on Brickfields near cuinchy' on my last NA visit.

It reviews the attack made by the 4th Guards on 7 brickstacks in an attempt to straighten the line in this location on the 6th of Feb 15.

On that day the Arttillery shelled the enemy from 2:00pm to 2:15 then the Irish Guards went over the top from thier trench.

The no1 Coy CG got out of the trench and Lied down in a hollow in the ground in nomans land and rose and ran toward the Germans at 2:15 as the shelling ceased.

The attack was successful..

leigh

7th Mountain battery diary extract

post-15-1095458657.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi John, if your offer's still open, would you be kind enough to look at 9 October 1918 please? I'm interested in Lt. Gavin Caldwell, KIA on that day.

Many thanks.

Hi

No problem. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you the PDf file for October 1918. As well as the diary it contains a report on the action in which your man was killed

Regards

John

John,

I have a Holmfirth man killed with them on Friday 30th November 1917. Any information at all would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Tony.

Tony

Again no problem, There are two pdf files covering that period with a five page report on the action that day. Just pm me with an e-mail address and I'll get them to you

Kind regards

John

Hi John, if your offer's still open, would you be kind enough to look at 9 October 1918 please? I'm interested in Lt. Gavin Caldwell, KIA on that day.

Many thanks.

GRM Caldwell

From A & S Highlanders 9/8/16 2/LT

KIA 9/10/18 Lt

Only a short entry in officers served section of Ross of Blandensburg book

Ill post his picture

post-3871-1172299406.jpg

Taken 25th July 1917.

The picture I have was taken from a picture hanging on a wall!

John,

I have a Holmfirth man killed with them on Friday 30th November 1917. Any information at all would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Tony.

Stainrod / Ramsden ?

Thanks John, I have sent the email address.

The man was Hubert Ramsden, a Private (19818), 2nd Battalion, Coldstream Guards. The nineteen year old son of John Thomas and Frances Ramsden, of Bank Top, Holme Bridge, he was born at Holme Bridge and enlisted at Huddersfield on October 21st 1916, he was killed in action on Friday 30th November 1917.

Five feet ten inches tall, he was employed at the mill of T. & J. Tinker, he was a member of the congregation of the Hinchliffe Mill Wesleyan Church. He once wrote:

”It is surprising how consoling a cigarette is in the trenches. If you only knew what a cigarette means to us you would see that we never went short. I would not ask for them if we could buy them here.”

Tony.

nothing on Ramsden sorry :(

Coldstreamer

Some time ago I picked up some images relating the the Coldstream Guards P.O.Ws and their next of Kin

Have you a copy of these, if not would you like them?

Regards

John

yes please

Thanks - pm my email address

John, I have been trying to find some detail about Sgt O J Paskin no 12725 of Coldstream Guards attached to trench mortar battery of Guards division who was awarded Croix de Guerre in Dec 1917,possibly for battle of Cambrai Nov 1917 or earlier at Passchaendale in July 1917? Would you be able to furnish any detail from yr stufff? I am going to lose contact with a charming lady in her 80's who is his daughter but is moving to live nearer her daughter and hope you dont mind this late request.Thanks in advance anyway.

all I can add is he went to France 7th April 1915

OR are rarely mentioned in CG war diarys

all I can ass is he went to France 7th April 1915

Thanks anyway,Coldstreamer,worth a shot in the dark. His daughter (81 ish) is moving away from near me so will have to do with what I have got to date.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

Could you have a look at the 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards diary please. I am looking to shed light on the following casualty who died of wounds;

Name: LESLIE

Initials: ROBERT

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Coldstream Guards

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 11/12/1916

Service No: 13311

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Y. 6.

Cemetery: CARNOY MILITARY CEMETERY

Thanks,

Mark

Treetop

Oliver John Paskin born 3rd May 1891 at Stafford joined Durham County Constabulary on 21st October 1912 as PC 874, 3rd class constable. Occupation not listed, he was 5'11, his police file states he was married with three children but does not say if he was married before he joined police or in service.

4.11.1912 Recruit posted to Jarrow

1.5.1913 Appointed 2nd class constable

16.7.1913 At Jarrow Police Court, the Mayor of Jarrow presented him with an ambulance certificate for which he qualified in a recent examination.

February 1914 Transfered to Southwick, Sunderland

10.9.1914 Resigned to join HMF,enlisted as Pte 12725 Coldstream Guards. I do not have his army history and cannot find it on Ancestry, he was promoted to Serjeant.

17.12.1917 London Gazette Lance Serjeant (Acting Serjeant) O. J. Paskin (Stafford) award of Croix de Guerre

8.4.1919 Re-admitted to police as 6 years PC 465 stationed Jarrow

November 1929 Station duties (boilers etc)

16.10.1933 Posted Hylton Colliery as additional PC

1.11.1934 22 years service

31.3.1939 Retired on pension

26.8.1939 Re-admitted a 1st Police Reserve number 0101 stationed Jarrow

30.6.1942 Resigned from Police Reserve

25.8.1964 Died

If the lady in question has any other information on him (wife and children details or a photograph of him I would appreciate it for my records)

John