Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chinese Labour Corps - Medal Entitlements & reasearch...

Laird of Camster

And this was the other CLC fingerprint man in Dublin in War of Independence

Henry Laude Burley - click

There were other CLC men in ADRIC, but probably not involved in fingerprinting

Capt Harry Summers Robertson

Lt Charles Herbert Anthony Denny

Herbert Raymond Edgar Graham

Robert John Ware

Walter George Barrett

Francis James Norman

Looks as if ADRIC was popular with ex-CLA officers

23 hours ago, Toontraveller said:

They were Fingerprint experts from CO.C3 Branch Metropolitan Police, based at New Scotland Yard, 

Was his the same group that were controlled by Basil Thomson out of Scotland Yard

2 hours ago, corisande said:

Was his the same group that were controlled by Basil Thomson out of Scotland Yard

Corisande,

Thank you for the information, as a result of the Forum and your post I saw the link to Cecil Lees and was reading about him yesterday. I will have a further look when I have a moment tonight.

I do not think they are the same men ( I am aware of Basil Thompson and the role he undertook) from what I have found out so far they went back to New Scotland Yard to work in CO.C3 Branch (Fingerprints) where it appears they remained until retirement, but you never know as there are no personnel records.

The first One is Inspector (CID) 1st Class William Thomas Bell.

Warrant Number 85546. Joined the Metropolitan Police (MP) 2nd October 1889 and retired to pension 30th May 1926, retiring as a Chief Inspector from CO.C3 Branch (Fingerprints)  .

Promoted to Detective Inspector (CID) 7th August 1918, 2nd Class Detective Inspector 2nd July 1919 and Detective Chief Inspector 3rd March 1925.

Born 26th June 1878 Hammersmith, West London, died 9th October 1958 .

No previous Army Service, described as a Musician prior to joining the MP.

I have access to Ancestry and at the moment I can not find any additional Army records apart from the MIC and the medal rolls or a  date for when he joined the Army but will keep looking. 

According to his MIC he was allocated the rank of C/Sgt Royal Fusiliers S/N G44873 and subsequently the Chinese Labour Corp- C/Sgt S/N 345691. No known Battalion .

He is mentioned along with PS (Warrant number 87322)  Dumper and PC (Warrant Number 101966) Greville - Further  details to follow. 

1. I would be grateful if anyone can narrow the service dates down for William Thomas Bell based on service numbers?  Appears they were back at New Scotland Yard around 31st May 1920.

Thank you.

14 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

KizmeRD, thank you so much. Very grateful for the information.

I was wondering based on the practice of fingerprinting the Chinese Labour Corps of they were there due to deaths and a way of confirming their identity , prior to burial so they were correctly identified. I had never heard of the Identification Department before. 

The 2nd Metropolitan Police Officer from Co.C3 Branch I have identified was a PC (CID) Warrant Number 101966 William David Greville .

Joined the Metropolitan Police on the 18th November 1912 and retired to pension as a  Divisional Inspector (CID 1st Class) from CO.C3 Branch (Fingerprints) on 24th November 1940.

Died I believe 1st October 1966.

I have located his MIC and medal roll , there is only one Regiment noted - Chinese Labour Corps Rank C/Sgt, S/N 345735 .

Still researching him so hopefully can add more details later today.

No suggestion as yet he was part of the group controlled by Basil Thompson as mentioned by Corisande in his posts above..

1. Again if anyone can assist with identifying a time frame for his service that would be appreciated, suspect it was around Feb  1918 but could be wrong. 

Thank you.