Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A strange place somewhere near Laventie

sjustice

Hello all,

Any idea where/what this is? It is a place or area somewhere near Laventie.

'Bautillerie' is the best I can come up with but that doesn't ring any bells.

Cheers,

Simon

post-16790-0-59460600-1375870220_thumb.j

Hello all,

Any idea where/what this is? It is a place or area somewhere near Laventie.

'Bautillerie' is the best I can come up with but that doesn't ring any bells.

Cheers,

Simon

Well, there is an "Ecole Bautillerie". Not that I know where it is!

H.

Glen the Map Monkey for the win!

Thanks both :)

The definite article suggests it has/had a function but, again, I'm not familiar with that word...

Cheers,

Simon

It sounds as if it ought to have something to do with 'bottling', Simon, but in fact 'boutillerie' was a duty levied on grain sold at market.

Found this in wiki

A major attack was ordered for the afternoon of 18 December, when the 7th Division attacked Well Farm near La Boutillerie. They maybe bottled water from the well? :whistle:

Mike

Found this in wiki

A major attack was ordered for the afternoon of 18 December, when the 7th Division attacked Well Farm near La Boutillerie. They maybe bottled water from the well? :whistle:

Mike

'Bottling' would be BOUTEILLERIE Mike.

It sounds as if it ought to have something to do with 'bottling', Simon, but in fact 'boutillerie' was a duty levied on grain sold at market.

As above, Siege, but that's a super reference on grain duty. Never heard of that but it points to the buildings having a local tax or trading usage. Nice. Is anyone familiar with the building now? I know I have driven past it but can't recall what it looked like.

Thanks both.

Cheers,

Simon

That's the one I was thinking of. Looks like some considerable (grain?) storage area at the back, but probably not the original outbuildings. Good stuff.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon

You'll find it on streetview. The building is still named 'A La Bouttillerie'.

Paul

Rheumy old fingers not quick enough!

From the 8th Royal Scots History.

"On the night of the 20th November 1914,four Companies went into the line for the first time relieving a Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in the La Brotillirie sector,the other Companies remaining at Fleurbaix."

From the Battalion War Diary.

15th November 1914-Battalion furnished digging party for Battalions holding the trenches in the vicinity of La Boutillerie.

George

Thanks for that snippet, George. Good addition.

Cheers,

Simon

La Boutillerie near Fromelles.

Hello Glen, good work !

but "la Boutillerie" is first at Fleurbaix before to be near Fromelles...

remember we walked the fields for "dead dog avenue"

cheers

Michel

La Boutillerie is a hamlet of Fleurbaix where was a kind of abbeye, called "la Chartreuse de la Boutillerie", dedicaced to "Notre-Dame de la douleur"

Good stuff. Thanks Robert.

Cheers,

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone provide any of the following for La Boutillerie?

* Its significance as a military locationin early March 1915? Billets? Front-line Trenches? Support trenches? Reserve trenches?

* Any idea of nearby landmarks (ponds, buildings, woods) ?

* The coordinates? Glen's map lacks any lat/long...although I think this might be the place.

* How about a battle map showing the trenches and the front line?

I ask because I'm researching the Canadian 7th who were there for most of March, 1915.

OK so I found this helpful link:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/29265/29265-h/29265-h.htm#page083

There's a battle map from the battle of Neuve Chapelle which appears to have La Boutillerie about a mile behind German lines on March 10, 1915! Strange that the war diaries of the 7th battalion would have them located in it? The diaries have them marching here from Ploegsteert and then to Fleurbaix and back a time or two.

Here's the map from that project gutenberg book:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/29265/29265-h/images/img009.jpg

Sneaky,

I think the front-line was "fluid" at the time. :thumbsup:

e.g.From the 8th Royal Scots War Diary(22nd Infantry Brigade).

1st January 1915-Re-occupied No 6 Subsection trenches at Touquet.

17th " " -Portion of fire trench to the right of Briddux having become untenable through flooding,the erection of a high command breastwork was begun in the rear of the old trench and extended to the right,portions of the old trench still being used.

3rd February 1915-Re-distribution of the line by which the Battalion occupied a short length known as "Y Farm Trench" formed by taking a part from right of No 6 and left of No 5.

1st March 1915-Handed over section of trenches to a Canadian Regiment and also billets in Fleurbaix.

George

• Admin

Bonjour Michel

I'm sorry but I did not see your post. You are correct. It is in Fleurbaix more than Fromelles. I do remember the dead dog!

Sneakyimp,

That map for Neuve Chapelle is "interesting".

This is the front line situation on the evening of 12 Nov 1914 and the lines around La Boutillerie didn't really alter much until April 1918. Also a map from 1 March 1915 showing the area held by the Canadians.

post-32914-0-92625600-1377159168_thumb.j