Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Paving stones to commemorate VC holders

Kate Wills

The VC commemorative stone for Capt. Grenfell at Guildford has been mounted vertically on a wall on the inside of an arch (details Here), so less likely to suffer damage from the elements (although I'm not impressed with the way it seems to have been done. ..

NigelS

Two letters in one of the local papers indicate that there's another problem with this one's location: visitors going to see it have discovered it blocked from view by a market stall canopy.

NigelS

• 10 months later...

These are located in the Durham Light Infantry Museum and are ready to be laid on the anniverary of each action.

post-91995-0-53169000-1438591265_thumb.j

Private Frederick William Dobson was awarded the Victoria Cross whilst serving with 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards following his actions at the Battle of the Aisne

http://northumbriangunner.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/pvt-frederick-william-dobson-vc-private.html

The commemorative stone was placed at the entrance to the local church pending it being re located to a permanent spot next to the village war memorial.

Ashton-In-makerfield Libray - March 2015.

post-91995-0-92026500-1438604805_thumb.j

post-91995-0-96885300-1438604885_thumb.j

post-91995-0-01807100-1438604930_thumb.j

More........... the Plaque has been wall mounted on the building.

2).

post-91995-0-60350300-1438605224_thumb.j

post-91995-0-07691800-1438605288_thumb.j

• 5 months later...

Further to my earlier posts, Newham Council will be holding a Victoria Cross Stone Laying Ceremony on Monday 11th April commemorating the award of the Victoria Cross to

Edgar Kinghorn Myles, at The Cenotaph, Central Park, East Ham, east London. I believe the stone will be held on a plinth.

... there are huge holes in the prospects of implementation.

Paving stones - walking over our heroes?

Place of birth - not necessarily where they spent their lives (I foresee a big argument locally over Alexander Buller Turner's stone - born in Reading, brought up in Thatcham - the family memorial is in Thatcham church).

WW1 only - so Alexander Buller Turner will get a paving stone - but his brother, Victor, won't??

Phil

just go to the Market Place in Thatcham and there you will find the stones for Alex and Victor

John

Phil

just go to the Market Place in Thatcham and there you will find the stones for Alex and Victor

John

And for William House - Thatcham Town Council stumped up for two stones for Victor (WW2) and House (Boer War).

• 2 months later...

This morning, I with other family members were privileged to attend the Commemorative Stone Laying Ceremony for Edgar Kinghorn Myles V.C., D.S.O., Mention., at The

Cenotaph in Newham, east London. There was a good turnout, the weather was fair, and the ceremony well done. It came about, in the right place due to the friends in TGWF, notably CGM who advised my alter ego 'Lancejack' to 'Go to the top' when I asked for advice on how to get Edgar's stone laid in the right place, (#89). On behalf of

Edgar's remaining family members - Many Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Stourbridge laid the VC plaque for Edward Felix Baxter last week. I had rang the council and local news agencies a few months ago after they put out a request for relatives to come forward, which I duly did, and only found out that the event occurred last week via social media. The several messages to those organising it that I left weren't replied but I hear there was a good turnout.

Edited by TimCornish

Thanks Tony, I have seen the article and have spoken to Stourbridge News (Bev). It seems my answer phone messages to the organisers didn't get through that I would be interested in attending.