Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Training: Saluting? Push-ups as discipline? Moustaches required?

sneakyimp

I need to find some information about training methods of the CEF to support a writing project. I am unsure where to locate this information but did not see a more suitable forum here so I hope someone might help me out!

* I've inquired about saluting protocol and have learned that before 1918, one was to salute with the hand, left or right, furthest from the commanding officer being saluted. I'm still hoping to find any documents that describe the training of salute protocol if anyone knows where to find it. There seem to be a lot of subtleties involved in saluting.

* Can anyone find me the original text of Army Order #211 from July 1918 that bans saluting with the left hand?

* Would push-ups be used as a disciplinary measure during training? What might be some minor punishments to enforce/reinforce training?

* Where might I find the original directive from the King's Rules and Regulations that prescribes that each man shall have a moustache? Apparently command #1,695 (dang that's a lot of commands!) would be the one I'm after:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F50A16FF3A5813738DDDA90A94DF405B838DF1D3

Re: Moustaches

King's Regulations and Orders for the Army; 1908

1695. The forage cap will not be worn with service dress, unless specifically ordered as a distinguishing mark between opposing forces. Forage and service dress caps will be placed evenly on the head. The hair of the head will be kept short. The chin and under-lip will be shaved, but not the upper lip. Whiskers, if worn, will be of moderate length.