Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Research requests on the forum - a free lunch?

Seadog

Can we put all this stuff to bed please? Now? Unless the vast majority of members can put all this stuff out of their minds while maintaining common sense as we go on, the character of this Forum could be changed irrevocably and i for one would be upset.

Hazel

For God's sake, shut that bl**dy can now. It's the last thing we need.

Roger

This is all the logical conclusion of the matters raised by the OP.

I feel that prohibiting content is an issue of such importance that it should not be allowed to go unchallenged.

Tim

Just don't mention the war.

This forum should not stipulate who can and cannot ask questions.

Actually, it already does. All of us play here at the consent of the owners. I know of several names who used to post but are now banned.

Tim

Your post was about suspension, not prohibition of content and it was that can of worms that I was referring to. Any query about someone being suspended should be done off forum. Prohibition of content is another matter entirely.

Roger

Roger

I think I may actually be in agreement with you - perhaps I overstated my case.

Mores of common decency and laws of libel should obviously apply, as should judgements of cyber-bullying etc as adjudged by the admin team.

Not climbing down, moderating opinion in response to a valid point.

Tim

If this forum is indeed providing a free lunch, i'm having the lobster.

Lobsters off!

H.

It will never happen, Seaforth - however, the forum does cost over 200 pounds per month to run - and that money comes from our Amazon/Abebooks links, surplus from the conference, and donations. Nowhere else.

So donations are always very welcome.....

Whut? Wasn't me. I never said a thing!

Whut? Wasn't me. I never said a thing!

Seaforths! You think you are only Seaforth around here?

Can't see all of your original post here (at least I am a 78th!) but don't worry honey - age ain't nuthin' but a number :D

When I began building up the LLT site and added what eventually became the GWF, I always tried to slant them towards giving people what they need to know in order to find out more for themselves, rather than giving them the "answer". That's partly as it is an impossible task to provide every answer to every question, and partly because I think people get more value from discovering "how" than having it done for them.

There is a perfectly natural tendency for many GWF members to rush in and give the answers, mainly because they can do it, like doing it and believe they are adding value to the questioner. I guess that is providing a free lunch for the questioner, but so what? Both parties are happy. As long as the forum is not being abused for commercial purposes and no copyright issues arise I don't really see a problem. It's not my preferred approach but the fact that GWF is where it is seems to indicate that it is working.

My previous two posts aside, I have actually been following this through and I thoroughly agree with Chris and with Hazel post #54. Inasmuch as being quick off the mark in giving information and I am guilty of that too, although my help and knowledge is limited. However, as a whole body there is a huge resource of information and expertise that is being tapped into for those who genuinely are interested in finding out about a relative which is unfortunately, open also to abuse which is very difficult to address. But on reflection, I am glad I had pointers in the direction of the information rather than having it spoon fed to me because the gratification of finding things out for myself has been great. I still have many relatives to research and my interest deepens and broadens as I go. There are some instances however when I was out of my own depth of experience or where access would mean a lengthy trip in person at a bad time, it is for those occasions I am forever indebted to those who have helped me. I would like to think I have been courteous enough to respond with thanks and would gladly reciprocate with an offer of help if needed. I have no doubt I will still stumble and ask for help and hope that again I will get pointers to assist me.

I have noticed too the camaraderie and friendly competition among members to get there first with the information and that too shows one of the many positive sides of the Forum. But good manners cost nothing, as does the information gleaned from the Forum members. Yes, we all lead busy lives and cannot respond within 24 hours and I would never expect anyone to respond to me with a thanks or otherwise in such a timeframe but for those that cannot be bothered or take a quick moment from their busy life to say a thank you, at all, is extremely poor form in the manners department. Hardly surprising then, if no-one bothers to say a quick thanks or even acknowledge, then the individual who has given of their time, knowledge and other resources, feels as though they have been treated like 'free lunch'.

As another poster mentioned - perhaps we should also be learning how to be a little more discerning before putting up tons of information and ask questions of the individual - as suggested - how much have they already found out?

Hi all

I am also quite a new member to the GWF, and although I am a member of ancestry and scotlandspeople I didnt really know what I was looking for when I decided to research my Great uncle.

I knew nothing. I had never heard of a medal index card or knew that I could access war diaries through the National Archives.

It was with the help of some very kind and knowledgable forum members pointing me in the right direction.

I have now developed such a keen interest and cant wait to go on my second battlefield tour. I do not believe this would be the case had I not had the excellent help.

Regards

Jane x

That's good to hear Jane.

and that is what this (and any forums) should be about. Guiding people and helping them learn how to find information and where. I certainly appreciate all the people that helped me find what I needed and their willingness to help and guide me, so that I can now pass on that information to others. I also agree it is better to tell people how and where to look than just giving quick answers without an explanation of how they were found. regards Robert

hi all,i am also a new start with the gwf,i also subscribe with ancestry.com.i have researched for about ten years.i have found only two family members that served during ww1( not one of them a todd) my point is i got more help and information on the two family members war service from the gwf within a couple of weeks.a very big thankyou to you all if not for your help i would still be in the dark.kind regards david todd

It's always easy to forget how confusing it can be for a newcomer to any kind of research when you've been at it for a while. A babe in arms doesn't know the questions to ask and doesn't know where the appropriate information is to be found. In essence, newcomers don't know what it is they don't know.

Yes, there is always a danger of giving someone a free ride but Jane and David in recent posts have shown the good sense of seeking the advice of more experienced researchers. I would say that it is necessary to provide some information in answer to a query, along with examples of where such information can be found. A bald refusal to assist and a brusque "go and buy an Ancestry subscription" doesn't help the newcomer to work out the types of information available from any given source, how to search for it and how to interpret it. One of the things you have to learn is how to research and it's possible to flail around in the dark and get nowhere if you're not doing the simple things effectively. Helping people to research efficiently is something we greybeards can do fairly simply yet it is likely to have the biggest benefit to the newcomers. Once you know what you don't know you can start looking in the right place, no?

Keith

I am so grateful to the members on the GWF that have given me help and pointed me in the right direction. I feel now

i just want to learn more and more, and find I am constantly astounded by the wealth of knowlegde of the forum members. I also hope that one day I might be able to provide some help myself one day. You never know stranger

Things have happened.

Regards

Jane

You never know stranger

Things have happened.

Your own research will mean that, at some point, you will be the Forum's expert on something. Maybe a small "something" but a big expert.

John

Keith, Jane & John,

I wholeheartedly agree with your comments. At first I didn't have the information to help nor did I know where to get it from and then, when I did manage to get it, I didn't understand it properly. People have been kind and patient but for a while I felt as though I was taking a lot and not in a position of having confidence or experience to help others. Two years down the line, I feel that on occasions, I can make a contribution and give something back by helping others albeit, as John says, in a small way but it might mean a big thing to the recipient.

• 10 years later...
On 20/06/2013 at 09:02, Seadog said:

whilst the Trustees have acted with commendable speed in restating the situation regarding "Pay Sites" and the use of data from those sites in my view the problem still remains of those new members who apparently ignore for whatever reason the very good advice contained in the link to the LLT website referred to in the “Soldiers” topic and just assume that members will respond to requests for information without them (the poster) having to expend any effort whatsoever. The question also remains as to just how many of these posts are from commercial sources such as medal dealers who are then using the information given freely here to enhance the value and interest of any medals etc that they are offering for sale. I refer members to my post 52 which attempts to address this situation.

Regards

Norman

The forum is a useful place for those looking for guidance on researching family members, how the Royal Navy kept records, further sources on battles etc. It can be a virtuous cycle, with similar topics under discussion. This is good for the forum.

You will always get a parasitic element on a forum, that have a new medal or similar item of militaria, that they want researched for free.  I do think that after a while, they get ignored, because they are takers who do not contribute to the forum, and the initial goodwill is soon expended. 

Edited by GWF TEAM
Respect for members

21 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

The forum is a useful place for those looking for guidance on researching family members, how the Royal Navy kept records, further sources on battles etc. It can be a virtuous cycle, with similar topics under discussion. This is good for the forum.

You will always get a parasitic element on a forum, that have a new medal or similar item of militaria, that they want researched for free.  I do think that after a while, they get ignored, because they are takers who do not contribute to the forum, and the initial goodwill is soon expended. 

I am frequently asked if I can identify a Chum to whom an Old Contemptibles' Association badge was issued to. The fact is records, where they survive, are not available on Ancestry or FMP. There were well over 50,000 badges issued during the lifetime of the Association but a list of 2,150 confirmed so far is available (for free) here, as I have collated them: https://oldcontemptiblesassociationscrapbook.wordpress.com/?s=Badge+numbers+

Similarly, records of membership of The Old Contemptibles' Association are patchy. So far, there are 11,550 Chums also listed on the same site (again, available for free and only there because I've done the research and collated them), but the information is there for people to access if they wish to:

https://oldcontemptiblesassociationscrapbook.wordpress.com/category/nominal-roll/