Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Pull through' question

Radlad

What is the correct way to use a pull through?

I was taught to use one by introducing the weight into the chamber and pull through to the muzzle, using the fingers of my left hand to support the rifle and guide the string away from the crown as much as possible.

Cleaning rods were used the same way and even with pistols and revolvers, rods or pull throughs were always introduced to the chamber when practical

A very entertaining video has just been posted in the cultural side of the forum and the actor pretends to clean an SMLE using the muzzle as entry point for the weight. he then pulls through to the chamber. i remember getting a thick ear as a child for doing that to my fathers favourite P14

What was the method taught to British troops. Is there a right or wrong way?

I seem to remember being taught to pull it through the same way as the bullet went. This was in the Air Cadets, but at a proper range and everything, following the instruction manual. There was all sorts of details such as sizes of cloth and the correct order in which to clean things.

Strange how these things come back to the memory even after 40 years. I'm rather pleased I had the chance to actually fire and then clean a proper .303 Lee Enfield all those years ago. Would love to own one now.

SLR's were all the rage at the time, so the Lee Enfield was relegated to cadet firing. I remember the 'thump' in my shoulder as a 14 year old holding on to a serious rifle. Even managed to squeeze off a couple of 'Annie get your guns' on a Bren gun as well.

Sorry, digressing... ;-)

Slightly younger than you but had the chance to be one of last cadets to fire the bren(7.62 version) plus fired a .303 Enfield. Had a very indugant shooting coach!

I seem to remember being taught to pull it through the same way as the bullet went. This was in the Air Cadets, but at a proper range and everything, following the instruction manual. There was all sorts of details such as sizes of cloth and the correct order in which to clean things.

Lol, the standard size of patch was 4"x2" for a .303 and it came in standard rolls of flannelette that were marked to make it easy to tear off a correct sized piece. Intended for rifle cleaning but used for brass polishing,bandages, toilet paper, washing flannel and anything a soldier could think of .

Wasn't there something about the amount of times it was folded depending on the bit of the cleaning process you were doing?

From breech to muzzle is definitely the correct way, as well as much the easiest, as the patch is squashed down by the chamber taper rather than abruptly forced into the bore by the crown. My RSM in the cadets would've given you a thick ear for doing it the other way, too.

Probably in clean conditions, with a rifle not in severe and frequent use, there's not much harm done by either letting the cord rub against the crown or cleaning from muzzle to breech - but in dirty wartime field conditions, the cord may become impregnated with grit and grease that'll work like grinding paste on the crown. Because the patch has been aligned by the chamber when cleaning from breech to muzzle, the force of any abrasive grit against the steel will be less - though it has to be said that throat damage will also reduce accuracy, though maybe not so severely as a tramline gouged into the crown by a fresh bit of sharp grit introduced forcefully from the muzzle.

Regards,

MikB

The boys had a funny song based on a Ken Dodd ballad called "Eight by Ten". Dodd was lamenting that all he had left of his amour was an 8 x 10 photograph.

Their version was "Four by Two, Four by Two, That's all I've got to pull my rifle through" and then became unrepeatable.

Three loops on the pullthrough - first for a gauze patch, second for a dry bit of forbitoo, third for a lightly oiled bit.

Always, always, always from breech end.

There is actually an inspectors stamp for "Cord Worn" at the muzzle but I cannot remember what it is. I will check and post if I find it.

Regards

TonyE

Edit: it is an asterisk over a "W" on the Knox form of the barrel.

First loop nearest to weight is for the gauze, the second is for the flannelette and the third is for the purpose of removing the pull-through should it break or become stuck in the bore.

...and who knows how to wind the pullthrough so it fits in the butt trap?

Cheers

tonyE

Me.

Hold the pull-through, loop end between the forefinger and thumb, so that the end falls about 2 inches below the third finger; roll it loosely once round the fingers. Slip the coil off the fingers, and twist the remainder of the cord lightly round it, leaving sufficient to allow the weight to drop easily into the recess made for it in the butt. Push the cord into the trap, leaving the loop end uppermost and close the trap.

Well I knew a true afficiendo like you would , Mick!

Cheers

tonyE

No I just have a very strange selective memory, I have no idea what I had for lunch though.

Cordwear! That was why we had to pull straight.

The armourer's hook was the (never seen) implement for extracting a broken pullthrough.

Memories from ??? Years ago.

Hold the pull-through, loop end between the forefinger and thumb, so that the end falls about 2 inches below the third finger; roll it loosely once round the fingers. Slip the coil off the fingers, and twist the remainder of the cord lightly round it, leaving sufficient to allow the weight to drop easily into the recess made for it in the butt. Push the cord into the trap, leaving the loop end uppermost and close the trap.

I couldn't remember it to write down at that level of detail, but there's one correctly coiled in the butt-trap of my 1917 Mk.III*, on top of the oil-bottle, as I write! :D

Regards,

MikB

Stop it you lot, I'm going all moist here...

Besides, if you used a pull-through from muzzle to breech all of the crud knocked loose by the patch/brush would end up in the action.

No names because he may visit, completely unable to get the pull through into the butt, so displayed it alongside, I'm not sure when he was told it was for a Bren.

Besides, if you used a pull-through from muzzle to breech all of the crud knocked loose by the patch/brush would end up in the action.

Exactly the reason that was explained to me as I picked my a$$ up off the floor. That is one lesson I will never forget.

No names because he may visit, completely unable to get the pull through into the butt, so displayed it alongside, I'm not sure when he was told it was for a Bren.

A BREN pull through was longer (Known as a double pull through) so you will not get a quart into a pint pot! ditto the Web Sling for a BREN looks like the rifle sling but longer.