Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another Scottish Uniform Conundrum

FROGSMILE

Frogsmile's comment (in post #1) "In some Canadian 'Highlander' battalions a khaki glengarry was also worn" needs to be corrected. Although the Canadian Department of Militia and Defence had khaki Glengarries manufactured, these were roundly condemned by the overseas highland battalions and were not worn overseas. A few home-based battalions may have adoted them but photographic evidence is lacking.

Clive

Servicepub....i would be very interested in establishing the provenance of the claim that the khaki glengarries were not worn abroad. Is there any recoded order or mention in any published contemporary history? In a debate such as this, it is convention on the GWF (and elsewhere) that some source or sources are provided as a reference for the obvious reason that it strengthens the integrity of the argument, or in this case the counter-argument.

Regards

MG

Andrew,

Thanks for your post. The text on the site supports my comment; "The Khaki Glengarry was not worn outside of Canada and was discontinued in 1916. However, the CEF appears to have briefly issued khaki Glengarries as shown in this photograph of Private Herbert George Laight of the 42nd Battalion. " In fact, most examples I have seen are either not badged or badged to the Canadian Black Watch and every one has been in unworn condition. I should not have said that photos are 'lacking' as I now remember this one but blame my 'old man memory' for the lapse.

Frogsmile,

Apologies, no 'point scoring' intended, just posting too quickly.

Clive

Edited by servicepub

Servicepub....i would be very interested in establishing the provenance of the claim that the khaki glengarries were not worn abroad. Is there any recoded order or mention in any published contemporary history? In a debate such as this, it is convention on the GWF (and elsewhere) that some source or sources are provided as a reference for the obvious reason that it strengthens the integrity of the argument, or in this case the counter-argument.

Regards

MG

MG,

I uncovered the correspondance 15 years ago while researching my book "Khaki - Uniforms of the Canadian Expeditionary Force". I don't have a copy in front of me but I may have cited the reference in the book. Failing that I will have to dig through some files at home.

Clive

MG,

I uncovered the correspondance 15 years ago while researching my book "Khaki - Uniforms of the Canadian Expeditionary Force". I don't have a copy in front of me but I may have cited the reference in the book. Failing that I will have to dig through some files at home.

Clive

Clive....many thanks for your response. You mentioned in a previous post that Frogsmle's comments 'need to be corrected' which implies (to me at least) that you are highly confident in your assertion. In the past I have been equally confident, only later to have been hit by a 'black swan' and then forced to reconsider one's preconceptions. Your conviction allows little room for manoeuvre. The possibility that your assumptions (albeit doubtless based on meticulous research) just might be wrong seems to be given little chance.. It is rare in the world of military research on WWI for any of us to be that sure. I am impressed with your level of confidence and look forward to the development of this thread...

Are you 100% sure that khaki glengarries were never worn outside Canada by Canadian Scots? Some form of official reference would be very useful.

Regards

MG.

From my own book "Khaki - Uniforms of the Canadian Expeditionary Force".;

Yet another pattern of headdress which was popular with Highland units was the Glengarry. However the Glengarry had been declared obsolescent in 1915, and the wearing of Glengarries in France was forbidden. The blue Glengarry, nonetheless, remained an item of issue to Canadian soldiers in England. Over 7,000 khaki Glengarries were taking up space at the Canadian Ordnance Depot at Bramshott and the Senior Ordnance Officer advised Militia Headquarters in Canada not to send any more over. In accordance with Army Instructions, no issue of Glengarries was to be made to units going to France.

Library & Archives Canada, RG9, C3, Vol 4815

Now that I have the text in front of me I will amend my assertion to state that no knhaki Glengarries were worn in France although they may have been worn in England.