Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Latest Identifications

Fedelmar

The new headstones have been in place for a week or so. I saw them being put in by the CWGC staff on a recent visit.

I have had the locations for a couple of weeks but was remiss in putting them up. Apologies but have not been very well of late.

• 8 months later...

I was hoping for at least 80%

Sadly next year is the last year and in my opinion Australia is dragging its feet to identify the remaining ones.

Any news for this year 2014

I haven't seen anything Peter ...

20 more have been identified.

http://www.firstworldwarcentenary.co.uk/

French authorities have confirmed that another 20 Australian soldiers or Diggers whose remains were found in Pheasants Wood near Fromelles have been identified using enlistment records and DNA taken and matched from families.
This is in addition to the 135 identifications made from the 250 Australian and British bodies exhumed from a mass grave in 2009, where they had lain undisturbed since they died in the Battle of Fromelles on 19-20 July 1916. The Battle of Fromelles caused the greatest loss of life in a single day in Australian history.Nearly 2000 Australians died and more than 3000 more were wounded.

A rededication service will be held in July to coincide with the battle anniversary and the planned opening of a new Fromelles museum. Walkers can tour the battle area and pay their respects by completing the 8.5km Battle of Fromelles Circuit (Circuit de la Bataille du Fromelles) maintained by the Northern France Tourist Board and Tourism Office of the Communes de Weppes. A map and trip notes for the walk is available free from the Northern France Tourist Board. The circuit starts and finishes at Fromelles church.There is also an 18 mile Great War Cycling Trail in Artois for more active visitors.

As many as 20 soldiers killed in Australia's bloodiest 24 hours in battle have been identified, almost a century after they were lost at Fromelles during the nation's first action on the Western Front.

The joint Australian and British project to identify 250 soldiers buried in mass graves by German troops following an overnight battle on July 19, 1916 has already identified 124 Australians by name using DNA, as well as anthropological, archaeological and historical evidence.

An announcement that up to 20 additional soldiers have been identified, expected to be made close to Anzac Day, would take to 144 the number of Diggers identified by name in the five years since the ambitious project began.

The identification team, which met at Australia House in London last week, focused on a German list of soldiers buried in six mass graves at Pheasant Wood, near the small farming town of Fromelles, just days after the battle.

The team, including molecular geneticists and anthropologists, tested more soldiers this year - about 135 compared to about 60 last year. They also reviewed past cases in the hope of making a match, with this year being the last official year of the program.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/more-fromelles-diggers-identified-20140422-372as.html#ixzz2zd0MDH4i

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/more-fromelles-diggers-identified-20140422-372as.html

• 4 weeks later...

Has the list of 20 names for 2014 been officially published yet ?

officially revealed soon but names have been already revealed.

http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/story/2234104/fromelle-diggers-names-to-be-revealed/

http://www.smh.com.au/national/phone-call-raises-goosebumps-for-family-of-identified-fromelles-digger-20140424-zqygl.html#ixzz32FDj5LBR

Weston miner Private James Balsdon, 27, of the 30th Infantry Battalion,

West Maitland auctioneer Private Claud Yeo, 40, also of the 30th Infantry Battalion

Pelaw Main fitter, Sergeant William Wass, 33, of the 54th Infantry Battalion.

Private Douglas Caswell, 22, a butcher from Stockton, from the 30th Infantry Battalion

Private Peter Shannon, 35, a shearer from Merriwa and part of 53rd Infantry Battalion

Private Percy Weakley

Private Archie McDonald from New South Wales, who served in the 54th battalion

Not all of those names have been confirmed Dannyboy1807. The ones in the Maitland Mercury are those that locals 'hope' will be identified. So far the names we know are:

3007 Baker 55th Bn

3557 Doust 54th Bn

2Lt Griffen 32nd Bn

1553 McDonald 31st Bn

316 Oliver 29th Bn

318 Weakley 31st Bn

4249 Williamson 54th Bn

Cheers,

Tim L.

Love your work guys.

57.6% now of the Aussies I make it!

Rgds

Tim D

Very good news that another 20 have been identified. Do they all come from the list of men initially identified as Australian, or were some of them 'unidentified by nationality' or possibly 'British'?

Mick

Congratulations to Sandra and Tim. I hope that the number of successful IDs is reward enough for the enormous effort that they have put into this project.

It is good to see that the Aussies will be continuing the work beyond the original five year commitment.

Tim, prior to this latest identification announcement, there were only 213 confirmed Australians buried in the mass graves (124 identified and 89 unidentified). Of the remainder, 2 were apparently unknown British soldiers and 35 were of unknown nationality. Until I know the actual grave location of the latest 20 identified men, I can't update these figures accurately but it's safe to say that there's still no confirmation that all 250 are Australian and therefore any % calculation needs to be adjusted to suit.

Mick, I think my answer above to Tim covers your question although doesn't really answer it. We still need to find out which plots these men are in before we can determine the stats about nationality etc.

Mel, Thanks. Yes it's a good result this year, there's no denying that. And most certainly 144 identifications out of 250 is a tremendous outcome. But I still think there was potential for even better so it's good to see that they will continue to accept registrations (and maybe give themselves time to clear any backlog :whistle: )

Cheers,

Tim L.