Latest Identifications

Fedelmar

346 Private William BARBER, 32nd Bn
605 Private Thomas Henry BILLS, 31st Bn
2584 Private Thomas William FRANCIS, 29th Bn
319 Private William O'DONNELL, 29th Bn
151 Private John Gordon McKENZIE, 32nd Bn

I was hoping for at least 80%

Sadly next year is the last year and in my opinion Australia is dragging its feet to identify the remaining ones.

346 Private William BARBER, 32nd Bn

605 Private Thomas Henry BILLS, 31st Bn

2584 Private Thomas William FRANCIS, 29th Bn

319 Private William O'DONNELL, 29th Bn

151 Private John Gordon McKENZIE, 32nd Bn

Sandra

Are their grave locations available, as I will be at Fromelles in a couple of weeks and I would like to pay homage to them.

Not that I am aware of as yet Peter ...

Five more, that's wonderful.

Cheers Andy.

Peter ... I put some feelers out and it seems that they may not be done till a few days before the anniversary ...

• Admin

I'll have a look when I'm there on 9th May but in previous years, nothing is changed until closer to the anniversary as Sandra says.

I'm now waiting for the CWGC database to be updated so I can find out the plot numbers in case I have photos of the burials.

Peter ... I put some feelers out and it seems that they may not be done till a few days before the anniversary ...

Thanks Sandra

Although I expect the new headstones not to be in place until just before the 19th, I wondered if their actual locations were published but seemingly not

Just tried the CWGC website, interestingly Bills is on the Villers-Bretonneux Memorial and not VC Corner along with the others

Probably stay that way till they do the headstone etc ...

Just tried the CWGC website, interestingly Bills is on the Villers-Bretonneux Memorial and not VC Corner along with the others

Peter,

That's because he was among a number of missing 31st Battalion men who were officially listed as missing on 21st July (the day after the battle). When their status was later altered to KIA, it was recorded as having occurred on that same date. Hence, because their official KIA date fell outside the dates of the battle, their names were inscribed on the VB Memorial and not VC Corner.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Peter,

That's because he was among a number of missing 31st Battalion men who were officially listed as missing on 21st July (the day after the battle). When their status was later altered to KIA, it was recorded as having occurred on that same date. Hence, because their official KIA date fell outside the dates of the battle, their names were inscribed on the VB Memorial and not VC Corner.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Thanks Tim.

Do you know how many came under this category ?

Peter

Peter,

The breakdown goes a little like this....

44 soldiers of the 31st Bn were officially recorded as having died on 21st July.

3 of those are verified to have died of wounds resulting from the battle (therefore the correct date of death).

15 had known graves in CWGC cemeteries (excluding the new Pheasant Wood cemetery). Some of these may indeed have been KIA on the 21st but the majority were actually killed during the battle and initially listed as missing until their remains were located.

The remaining 26 were listed on the VB Memorial (almost certainly the incorrect date of death) and a handful of those are now identified and buried in the new cemetery.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Peter,

The breakdown goes a little like this....

44 soldiers of the 31st Bn were officially recorded as having died on 21st July.

3 of those are verified to have died of wounds resulting from the battle (therefore the correct date of death).

15 had known graves in CWGC cemeteries (excluding the new Pheasant Wood cemetery). Some of these may indeed have been KIA on the 21st but the majority were actually killed during the battle and initially listed as missing until their remains were located.

The remaining 26 were listed on the VB Memorial (almost certainly the incorrect date of death) and a handful of those are now identified and buried in the new cemetery.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Thanks Tim

Details which I was not aware of.

Were both sides still exchanging fire on the 21st, I can't seem to find out by using search engines.

Peter

Yes they were exchanging fire although certainly not at the same intensity as the day before. It seems that most of the activity was confined to individual soldiers who ventured out into no-man's land to rescue the wounded, several of whom were killed in the attempt.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Has a decision been made on what will happen to the names on the VC Corner memorial of those men who are now identified amongst those in the Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Cemetery? I know that elsewhere, names are erased from the memorials to the missing when their grave is identified, but that hasn't yet happened at VC Corner.

Ken

As far as I know erasing/correcting names is part of regular maintenance. So it may take some years.

In the case of VC Corner it may be sooner: IIRC the panels didn't look in tiptop shape when I visited the memorial in 2010.

Roel

That's my understanding also. Usually the panels are amended when they are replaced during routine maintenance. I've also heard that they are becoming quite worn so it might not be that long.

Cheers,

Tim L.

That was how I understood it, but perhaps the Fromelles case is different. If it were up to me I would highlight those on the VC Corner Memorial with a small star or similar and then add a small panel to explain that the men highlighted were missing for x years and now, as a result of the recent investigations they are now buried in the nearby Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Cemetery. It would seem a shame to simply delete them from the VC Corner Memorial.

I visit Fromelles regularly and it always makes me think about this.

Ken

• 3 months later...

I have just clicked on...I am helping my friend with her family tree, and there is her gg uncle,.......PRIVATE THOMAS FRANCIS.......I cant wait to tell her !!!!! Where should I look for his service record ?

That was how I understood it, but perhaps the Fromelles case is different. If it were up to me I would highlight those on the VC Corner Memorial with a small star or similar and then add a small panel to explain that the men highlighted were missing for x years and now, as a result of the recent investigations they are now buried in the nearby Fromelles (Pheasant Wood) Cemetery. It would seem a shame to simply delete them from the VC Corner Memorial.

I visit Fromelles regularly and it always makes me think about this.

Great idea.

Doesn't take a lot of work too.

346 Private William BARBER, 32nd Bn: IV. A. 11

605 Private Thomas Henry BILLS, 31st Bn: I. F. 4

2584 Private Thomas William FRANCIS, 29th Bn: IV. A. 4

319 Private William O'DONNELL, 29th Bn: II. E. 8

151 Private John Gordon McKENZIE, 32nd Bn: I. D. 5.

These are the locations for the latest identifications.

Bright Blessings

Sandra