Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coast BBC2

TonyE

• Admin

Hello all.

Just come across this thread, so missed the programme. Will it be available on BBC iplayer?

Yes, it's available for the next month - there is also a short preview on the website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rs2sz

I thought they did a pretty good job with their CGI in the Zeppelin segment, and there's a flavour on the preview'

I'd agree with Tom, well worth watching it all - even the voles,

cute!

I'd echo the well done Tony - I'm intrigued about the nitro-glycerine ammunition I guess I've watched too many Westerns which emphasise it's instability but I'd have thought every process involved was a bit fraught from manufacture to firing.

Ken

Well done, Tony. It was worth sitting through ten minutes of the dreaded Ruth Goodman for. You did better than me. My only tv appearance was edited down to half a sentence.

the dreaded Ruth Goodman

She is rather wearing isn't she. I enjoyed the first thing she was in (Tales from the Green Valley) but she's been on rather too much since.

Tony. I was intrigued by the phospherous bullet and why the solder plug was needed. If the bullet was within the case then presumably the phosphor wouldn't have been exposed to the air anyway; was it to stop it igniting in the barrel?

I was intrigued by the phospherous bullet and why the solder plug was needed. If the bullet was within the case then presumably the phosphor wouldn't have been exposed to the air anyway; was it to stop it igniting in the barrel?

How would you store and handle the bullet between finishing it and loading it to the cartridge otherwise? What about safety considerations if the casemouth sealant wasn't perfect, became damaged, or the round was broken by accident in some way?

I have heard tell of a version of this design where dismantling the bullet from the case did indeed produce a risk of phosphorus fire, but I don't know how much credence to place in it, especially given the difficulty of safely assembling the round if true.

Regards,

MikB

Well done, Tony E. How many takes did you need? :D A very interesting programme. I did watch it all, and I liked the way it encompassed all kinds of "invaders" from voles to bikers to Zeppelins!

Mind you, I was a bit annoyed to keep hearing that the our country's enemy in WW2, who left many defensive structures in Guernsey, were the Nazis. I thought they were.... er.... the Germans.

Tom

Well done, Tony E. How many takes did you need? :D A very interesting programme. I did watch it all, and I liked the way it encompassed all kinds of "invaders" from voles to bikers to Zeppelins!

Mind you, I was a bit annoyed to keep hearing that the our country's enemy in WW2, who left many defensive structures in Guernsey, were the Nazis. I thought they were.... er.... the Germans.

Tom

"mustn't mention the war but if you do don't mention the Germans"

excerpt of course the Germans were mentioned in the Zeppelin portion of the Program

the Beebs PC gestapo gone mad again

Thanks folks. It may only have been a few seconds of air time but at least it was not as cringe inducing as I feared!...and Tessa was lovely!

That particular piece was done in one take but there were other parts that they obviously did not use.

With regards to production, the phosphorus pellets were placed in the bullet envelopes under water by hand and then the lead base plugs inserted and pushed home. That gave a sufficient seal that the bullets could then be brought into the air and the bases soldered for a permanent seal. The weep hole in the side of the envelope was of course already sealed.

I have never heard of a British Buckingham round leaking or igniting, although I know of a couple of incidents where German WW2 incendiaries have spontaneously ignited in recent years.

The other types of anti-Zeppelin ammunition were the Brock, which relied on a Potassium Chlorate mix in the nose to ignite under compression and the Pomeroy. This had a warhead in the nose containing a type of dynamite, being nitro glycerine dissolved in keigelguhr (a type of clay mix).

I have worked on another Zeppelin documentary (for Channel 4 later this year) and we fired various incendiaries to test the effect. I reloaded a Pomeroy bullet that had been buried at an old RFC station for ninety years and it detonated against a card target when we fired it!

Regards

TonyE

And next week you can meet Tony in the flesh when he speaks to our WFA branch on small arms.

Having met him in the pub a few times I'd say he has short arms, not small ones.

I missed the programme so will catch up in iPlayer, but I thought Coast was presented by that long-haired Scottish chap. At least You-Know-Who wasn't involved.

And always remember, in the Great War they were Germans, but in WW2 they had become Nazis.

• Admin

Thanks for the additional info Tony, and no it definitely wasn't cringe inducing, as they say 'leave them wanting more!'

Look forward to the next one.

Ken

I enjoyed all of the programme.

The voles were cute, and I liked the bit on Guernsey with Frizt, sent there at age 17, and how he was so pleased at the end of the war.

Although not always a fan of CGI, I thought the Zep bit was well done, and of course, our Tony stole the show.

Bruce

I misunderstood; the solder plug was on the bottom not that small hole (weep hole) on the side.

'seaJane' timestamp

An informed guess Alan but I think Great Yarmouth.

Sure Biffo will put me right if necessary.

great yarmouth sure enough,if you have the time and tide museum on your right walk up the road for

about 800 yards the house is on the left,could do with doing up bit like yarmouth :w00t:

I get me coat

Biff :thumbsup:

Still never been to the Time and Tide museum, must get Dad to take me there some time...

The Time and Tide waits for no man - or his kids.

Voles are viscious bar stewards, I know having been mauled by one when punting on the Isis.

Very good item on the Zeppelin raids though, nice one Tony.

Maxi

On behalf of Northamptonshire WFA I'd like to thank you Tony for an absolutely suberb talk on British Army-issue Small Arms.

Glad to hear you will grace our screens again in September. We think you ought to get your own show!