Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coast BBC2

TonyE

The new season of "Coast" starts on BBC2 on Wedneday 3rd April at 8.00pm. The first programme covers the early Zeppelin raids on East Anglia and provided I have not been edited out entirely, one may just catch a glimpse of yours truly expounding on anti-Zeppelin ammunition.

Regards

TonyE

Looking forward to it Tony.

Regards,

Sean.

Got it Sky+ed thank you very much.

surprised they are allowing you on before the 9pm cut-off Mr Edwards.

I have requested my folks st home record it for summer viewing!

Chris

And next week you can meet Tony in the flesh when he speaks to our WFA branch on small arms.

Thursday, 11th April, Ex-Servicemen's Club, Sheep Street, Northampton.

Bring this week's Radio Times and I'm sure Tony will oblige with an autograph.

I hope Andy :ph34r: sees this - this is one of his areas of interest also.

Any chance can post to YOUTUBE or other site for us poor colonials who dont get the Beeb......

I second that!

Hazel

walked passed this last summer on the way to the silver darlins

zepcas.jpg

and this

zephouse.jpg

From the Radio Times website:

As usual the human tales are well chosen and the history makes you think. The story of how Major Egbert Cadbury brought down a Zeppelin over the North Sea is brilliant, Boy’s Own stuff – complete with a recording of his voice: “It was rather like trying to find a fly in a darkened bedroom...”

Thank you for alerting me; I shall watch with interest. I do enjoy the Coast series; such a simple concept but always very good to watch.

Where in East Anglia is the house and plaque?

Thanks

Alan

An informed guess Alan but I think Great Yarmouth.

Sure Biffo will put me right if necessary.

Thanks Tony for the heads-up, have told my dad who lives in Ludham.

No you weren't! You were sitting on a beach with a nice blonde lady with an interesting array of bullets... what's not to like? Great programme.

I saw yer... :D !

Short, but well to the point.

Regards,

MikB

Hello all.

Just come across this thread, so missed the programme. Will it be available on BBC iplayer?

There were two of us watching and neither of us saw that particular bit (we ddn't fall asleep either) what on earth?

I shall have to review the programe again, we rerded it also.

Well blow me down!,,,,

Just reviewed the programme and there was Tony (we knew what you looked like, having met you at the conference last year). We must have looked away for a moment or two because we definitely heard your narrative last time, just thought it was the other bloke they had on straight after you.

17107BM

It will be available on the BBC iPlayer shortly, it's a very popular show for the BBC, probably a good earner, and rightly so.

Maxi

Just watched the programme - fast forwarding through about 50 minutes of Guernsey, sea birds, voles (?), TT racers and something Scottish - just helped to build up the sense of expectation until Tony's arrival on screen.

The Zeppelin segment was short and sweet (just like Tony) and I particularly enjoyed the glimpse at Egbert Cadbury's photo album and to hear the sound recording. Not sure about the special effects sequence of the fragrant Ms Dunlop in what, I suppose, was Cadbury's DH4 (what did she do with the observer, Captain Leckie, I wonder?) but it gave you an indication of what the combat may have been like.

I might have missed a reference to it, but the programme rather gave the impression that it took until August 1918 to bring down a Zeppelin raider. I suppose that there wasn't time to mention Robinson, Sowrey, Tempest et al but both Cadbury and Leckie had already separately participated in bringing down the L.21 (Nov 16) and L. 22 (May 17) respectively.

Overall, anything that brings my favourite subject to the wider public is to be applauded and the closing comment, insofar as the Zeppelin menace started and ended at Great Yarmouth, is essentially correct.

David

While I'm still awake, here are a couple of postcards of the Great Yarmouth raid for your interest.

David

post-21245-0-77149700-1365028548_thumb.j

post-21245-0-28548100-1365028565_thumb.j

Well done, Tony E. How many takes did you need? :D A very interesting programme. I did watch it all, and I liked the way it encompassed all kinds of "invaders" from voles to bikers to Zeppelins!

Mind you, I was a bit annoyed to keep hearing that the our country's enemy in WW2, who left many defensive structures in Guernsey, were the Nazis. I thought they were.... er.... the Germans.

Tom