Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another Unidentified Yeomanry Trooper

tn.drummond

My only observations are that the two riders nearest on the first photo post both have a dark stripe (double stripe?) down their overall trouser legs. The colour looks darker in hue to the colour of the trousers. This will eliminate many of the 50+ Yeomanry Regiments. The only other thing I note is the docked tails - which might be regulation but I recall in the dark recesses of my mind reading about commanding officers with differing views on trace clipping, docking, hogging of manes etc, so that might provide a clue.

Definitely territorial Yeomanry given the slackness of their dress....flat caps, etc. Cant see that happening in the regular line cavalry. The harnesses might also help bracket or confirm the date. There are a few horse experts in the membership who I am sure will appear soon....

MG

P.S. If you have any photos of the Derbyshire Yeomanry I would be very interested to see.....or South Notts Hussars or Sherwood Rngers Yeomanry.

I've some of each; particularly 'A' Squadron SRY. If you want good quality images then pm me and I'll email you what I have tomorrow (about 8 or 9 all told). Alternatively I can post 'greyscale reduced' on this thread. Just let me know which you prefer.

Tim

Edited by Suddery

Re my #17 enquiry - forgot to mention Slouch Hats in background.

just made some big edits to prev post.....cant be Middlesex Yeo if indeed it is 1909.....

Ref photosof DY, SNH and SRY.....web uplink would be best if that is possible. Have some of my own which I can share.....

MG

just made some big edits to prev post.....cant be Middlesex Yeo if indeed it is 1909.....

Ref photosof DY, SNH and SRY.....web uplink would be best if that is possible. Have some of my own which I can share.....

MG

Martin

I've had a glance at your extensive edit and I think you've made some comments that ring bells, some of which touch with my own subsequent enquiries - I'm most grateful

and will respond tomorrow...

I don't upload to web wide media so I'll post what I have on this thread tomorrow to the best spec' I can achieve.

Many thanks for your help (my wife really is insisting I log off !!!) so I'm now off.

Tim