Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Nelson (Lancashire) Leader - Local War Record

pooter

Dave, your a credit to the forum, that is brilliant, i wasn't sure if he was same J. W. Sunter but i am sitting here looking at the medal John is wearing in photo, he is family connected to my brother-in law who asked me to research him, he will be more than pleased with your result when i tell him, i would never have made that brother connection.

Cant thank you enough.

South African Medal, Soldier Number 15084 Pte J.W. Sunter. R.A.M.C.

Walter

hi walter,i havent used this site before so im not sure how to navigate it yet but i hope you get this message,my name is pauline sunter and jw was my great uncle,im interested in knowing who your brother in law is,i have researched a lot of the family tree so he may be interested in speaking to me,i look forward to a reply,yours pauline

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave, sorry for not replying before but had totally slipped my mind about posting on here. I really do appreciate the article from the "Burnley News" as it now gives me a more complete letter along with the Lieutenant's name which I can now put with the info. I had obtained on Pte. J. Norman (the other occupant of the dugout). It was only on Friday that I had received a copy of an entry from Nelson Library's copy of "They Are Not Forgotten" which contained a partial extract of Lt. Webster's letter so your find is an added bonus for me.

Once again many, many thanks.

Susan

• 8 years later...
On 12/09/2013 at 17:53, W.J.Caughey said:

Dave, your a credit to the forum, that is brilliant, i wasn't sure if he was same J. W. Sunter but i am sitting here looking at the medal John is wearing in photo, he is family connected to my brother-in law who asked me to research him, he will be more than pleased with your result when i tell him, i would never have made that brother connection.

Cant thank you enough.

South African Medal, Soldier Number 15084 Pte J.W. Sunter. R.A.M.C.

Walter

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Pauline. Is there something you wish to contribute to the forum? @W.J.Caughey last visited the forum in 2016.

Hi Michelle, I've just seen an old post this morning, 2013, between two guys one of which is a distant relative I believe, I've been researching my family tree so I need to get in touch with this person , he's called Walter.p.watson, how can I contact him on here? Thanks

• Admin

Do you mean member W J Caughey? I’ve tagged him in my post, which might alert him to your post, but he’s not visited the forum since 2016. You can also try sending a private message to him. However, all this depends whether he’s still using the same email address as he used to register here. 

HYes the conversation was between  these two and someone called dave? How do I private message him michelle?

20 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Do you mean member W J Caughey? I’ve tagged him in my post, which might alert him to your post, but he’s not visited the forum since 2016. You can also try sending a private message to him. However, all this depends whether he’s still using the same email address as he used to register here. 

Hi Michelle, I've just seen an old post this morning, 2013, between two guys one of which is a distant relative I believe, I've been researching my family tree so I need to get in touch with this person , he's called Walter.p.watson, how can I contact him on here? Thanks

• Admin

Dave (Croonaert) sadly died last year. To try to message Walter, click on his name, then, click on the envelope icon, type your message, then send.

• Admin

Click on W.J. Caughey name on the post. This takes you to his profile. 

• Admin
9 hours ago, pauline porter said:

HYes the conversation was between  these two and someone called dave? How do I private message him michelle?

Dave was Croonaert, but he died last year. 

Pauline, I can't help with J.W. Sunter, but I see from a post of 12 September 2013 by Crooneart that his brother J.T. Sunter of 10 Bank Street Nelson was in the 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers, and was KIA in September 1916. The CWGC entry for him gives his name as James Edward Sunter, and his date of death as 9 September 1916. My grandfather, Norman Hall, was a Captain in the 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers at that time, and was seriously wounded in the Battle of Ginchy on that day. He left a memoir containing a vivid description of the action, but how close he would have been to James in the action depends upon whether they were in the same Company (my grandfather was in "Z" Company).

I'm afraid that he doesn't mention James in his memoir. Nor is James mentioned in the War Diary of the 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers at the National Archives (free to download if you register with them, reference WO-95-2923-2). In fact it would have been unusual if James had been mentioned by name in the War Diary, but there is a brief account of the action.

1 hour ago, A Lancashire Fusilier by Proxy said:

Pauline, I can't help with J.W. Sunter, but I see from a post of 12 September 2013 by Crooneart that his brother J.T. Sunter of 10 Bank Street Nelson was in the 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers, and was KIA in September 1916. The CWGC entry for him gives his name as James Edward Sunter, and his date of death as 9 September 1916. My grandfather, Norman Hall, was a Captain in the 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers at that time, and was seriously wounded in the Battle of Ginchy on that day. He left a memoir containing a vivid description of the action, but how close he would have been to James in the action depends upon whether they were in the same Company (my grandfather was in "Z" Company).

I'm afraid that he doesn't mention James in his memoir. Nor is James mentioned in the War Diary of the 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers at the National Archives (free to download if you register with them, reference WO-95-2923-2). In fact it would have been unusual if James had been mentioned by name in the War Diary, but there is a brief account of the action.

On 29/05/2023 at 15:34, Michelle Young said:

Click on W.J. Caughey name on the post. This takes you to his profile.