Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Nelson (Lancashire) Leader - Local War Record

pooter

Pooter, very good thanks for sharing, small world this, twice to-night towns my family lived are mention on forum. spent a few good school years, summer holidays in Nelson town.

Walter

Yes many thanks for posting.

Interestingly enough Nelson is featured in this months "MEDAL NEWS" as having had a new War Memorial having been recently unveiled.

He is a link about it...

http://www.dpstructures.co.uk/projects/nelson-war-memorial/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rossendalewadey/4560143773/?q=nelson war memorial

• 2 weeks later...

If interested in the area, another was also published - the Colne & Nelson Times War Album 1914-15.

I've also converted this album to PDF but, at 42.7mb in size, it's a little too large to post on here. If you need anyone looking up in it though, just yell.

Dave

Dave when you get time would you check this chap in Colne & Nelson Times War Album 1914-15, but i think he survived WW1,my sister was close to his Father who lived in Nelson, sadly he passed away last year.

Walter

post-64827-0-05762900-1363792051_thumb.j

He won't be in, Walter. The entries are just those who died (or were 'notable' in some other way.... gallantry award, etc (but these are less complete than those of casualties)) in 1914 and 1915 for the towns (and villages ) of Colne, Nelson, Briercliffe, Brierfield, Barrowford, Fence (incl. Wheatley Lane), Lothersdale, Barnoldswick, Kelbrook, Salterforth, Earby, Cowling, Thornton, Trawden and Foulridge.

Dave

Dave, well thats one less book to check, so thank you for checking.

Cheers Walter

• 2 months later...

Dave - Could you please see if Gordon Sharples Cross is mentioned in the Colne and Nelson Times War Album. He was an ex Rammy lad who left the town when he was 15. I have a small article about him from the Ramsbottom Observer. He was killed at Gallipoli.

Thanks

Duncan

Unfortunately, he doesn't appear in the 'Colne & Nelson Times War Album' nor in the Colne roll of honour (portaits version) of 1920.

Dave

Dave - Thanks for having a look, I appreciate the offer.

Duncan

Hi Dave

Do you have an entry for Herbert George Nicholson, 28991 East Lancs attd Royal Engineers, died 5th June 1917.

He is on the Colne War Memorial but only as H. Nicholson.

Regards

Richard

Only on the pictoral roll of honour, Richard (which doesn't contain much detail)... he died too late for inclusion in the War Album.

Dave

post-357-0-36299800-1369767894_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hello Dave, would you have a L/Cp John William Sunter Royal Army Medical Corps Died 31/7/1917 in the 'Colne & Nelson Times War Album' i would be grateful when you get time to have a look please.

I am trying to find out if he served in South African War 1902, (Soldiers died in great war) says he enlisted Nelson, Lancashire, and looking to see if family connection of Thomas P Watson post 6#.

I see he was awarded MM.

Walter

He's not in it I'm afraid. However, I do have a photo of him from the 'Burnley News' (resplendently displaying a Queen's South Africa medal with two clasps) which may answer one of your questions (he had served for 12 years with the colours and on reserve prior to 1914).

MM awarded for work in the area of Vimy Ridge, he was also a footballer with Nelson FC.

Dave.

(PS. the only references to family that I can immediately see is that he was one of three brothers who served - one of whom was killed in 1916)

post-357-0-74538400-1379001645_thumb.jpg

The two brothers' entries in the 'Greater Burnley Roll of Honour'.......

(the 3rd (surviving) brother was George Sunter who served in the RFA, by the way)

post-357-0-80419600-1379002188_thumb.jpg

Dave, your a credit to the forum, that is brilliant, i wasn't sure if he was same J. W. Sunter but i am sitting here looking at the medal John is wearing in photo, he is family connected to my brother-in law who asked me to research him, he will be more than pleased with your result when i tell him, i would never have made that brother connection.

Cant thank you enough.

South African Medal, Soldier Number 15084 Pte J.W. Sunter. R.A.M.C.

Walter

And here's the medal, i think its so poignant.

Found family 1911 Census

Great result.

Walter.

post-64827-0-48335700-1379011966_thumb.j

Thanks Walter - I was going to ask which clasps he had on the medal (seeing the actual thing is certainly better than just reading his entitlement!). Must be a little spooky actually handling the medal you can see being worn by the man himself in his obituary photo and is, therefore, much more poignant than even his Great War medals which, of course, he never even saw (he didn't even see his MM apparently, but was wearing the ribbon when he died).

Dave.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I was wondering if you could confirm whether or not Arthur Spencer of The King's (Liverpool Regiment), 13th Bn is mentioned. Sadly his Brother, Ernest died the following year.

Hi, I was wondering if you could confirm whether or not Arthur Spencer of The King's (Liverpool Regiment), 13th Bn is mentioned. Sadly his Brother, Ernest died the following year.

I'd say that there is no mention (the book(s) cover just 1914-15. Arthur died in 1916?)

...However...

...This might be of interest? ... It's from the Pendle edition of the 'Burnley News' dated 8th April 1916...

Dave

post-357-0-69176100-1391789486_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-66994800-1391789555_thumb.jpg

Only on the pictoral roll of honour, Richard (which doesn't contain much detail)... he died too late for inclusion in the War Album.

Dave

Hi Dave

Just realised I never replied to your post with Herbert picture.

Thanks for looking, and a really good picture, the best I have of him.

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

Walter,

The following occurs under the Nelson Roll of Honour in the Nelson Leader War Record book.

Watson, Thos. P. 18 Selby Street, Royal Field Artillery.

This could be your man.

Fred W

Fred

Forgive me but i can't locate him, any idea of the page "Watson, Thos. P" is under, is it page 39 the Watson brother's?.

This is the right book http://archive.org/d...ecords1914-1915 i am looking at?

Walter