Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Access to St Eloi craters?

Michelle Young

• 4 weeks later...

Forget St Elooi crater(s) - I recommend to advancing to Spanbroekmolen crater, or you pay a visit to Caterpillar crater on hill 59, close to Hill 60.

• 6 years later...

Nearly seven years since the last contribution to this thread, I thought I'd add to it rather than start a new one. I am hoping to guide a small party around the St Eloi sector in June 2023, but I have not visited the craters since 2011 and do not know if anything has changed recently. I heard that last year the gate was left open and that you no longer had to phone the tourist office for the combination for the lock. Is this still the case? Is the site looked-after these days, or is it all terribly overgrown, particularly the bunker? Any comments are welcome. Also, is it still fine to park (we'll be in two cars) on the grass next to the little monument and Krupp cannon?

Thanks, William

The forum was quiet on Monday when I asked the following question, so I thought I'd try again....

I am hoping to guide a small party around the St Eloi sector in June 2023, but I have not visited the craters since 2011 and do not know if anything has changed recently. I heard that last year the gate was left open and that you no longer had to phone the tourist office for the combination for the lock. Is this still the case? Is the site looked-after these days, or is it all terribly overgrown, particularly the bunker? Any comments are welcome. Also, is it still fine to park (we'll be in two cars) on the grass next to the little monument and Krupp cannon?

Thanks, William

• Admin

Sorry, can’t help, not been up that way for some time. Last time I went (maybe 2017?) the gate was open. 

Thanks Michelle; I have heard from another friend who was there last spring that the gate was open, so I think that answers one part of my question at least.

William

I'm in the neighborhood on Saturday. If I have time enough I will check it for you. Last year in the summer the gate was closed when I passed there.

Edited by vincentg

Thanks for looking Vincent.

• 3 months later...
On 14/01/2023 at 12:37, WilliamRev said:

The forum was quiet on Monday when I asked the following question, so I thought I'd try again....

I am hoping to guide a small party around the St Eloi sector in June 2023, but I have not visited the craters since 2011 and do not know if anything has changed recently. I heard that last year the gate was left open (ie unlocked) and that you no longer had to phone the tourist office for the combination for the lock. Is this still the case? Is the site looked-after these days, or is it all terribly overgrown, particularly the bunker? Any comments are welcome. Also, is it still fine to park (we'll be in two cars) on the grass next to the little monument and Krupp cannon?

Thanks, William

A few months since I posted this. Has anyone visited the St Eloi craters in the last few weeks who can tell me if the gate is kept unlocked this year? Also, looking on Google Earth, parking seems to be more difficult this year, or am I mistaken?

Many thanks, William

Edited by WilliamRev

• 4 weeks later...

I visited 3 weeks ago, and access was very straightforward - the gate is indeed locked, but there's an information board next to the gate which gives you the phone number for the tourist office. I gave them a ring, they answered very promptly, I explained I was at the gate to the St Eloi craters, and they gave me the code and wished me a pleasant visit. It's worth making a note of the code - you need it to open the gate to access the crater site, but you also need it to get out again! 

The site was very well looked after when I visited, the grass had very recently been cut, and there was no problem getting to the bunker. Hope this is helpful!

Jim

Thanks Jim, that is indeed helpful, and kind of you to post this.

Looks as though this is your first post, in which case: welcome to the forum! (Although perhaps you have been lurking in the past?)

William

Hi William, glad it's helpful - and yes, my first post, as I finally had something useful to say! (Not a regular occurrence, I can assure you...) 

Just realised you also mentioned parking: if memory serves there was opportunity for on-street parking just across the road from the crater (close to another crater, one from 1916, now on private land but easily visible from the road heading south-east out of St Elooi). It wasn't too difficult at all to park up.

Enjoy your trip! 

Jim 

Thanks for the parking tip; again this is very helpful - we will be in two cars, and I always like to plan parking ahead.

William

• 4 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I was enquiring about access to the craters, and I thought that people may be interested to know how our trip went.

Seven of us made a visit to Sint Elooi last week. I had emailed the Ieper tourist office in advance to ask for the code for the lock, saying that I was visiting Sint Elooi on Tuesday morning. I received a rather brusque reply saying that they would not supply the code by email (although I know that they have done this in the past) and that I could only get the code by phoning on the day, after midday - the craters only being accessible to the public in the afternoons, not the mornings (again, last time I visited, some ten years ago, we visited mid-morning without any problems). We were due to be elsewhere after 10.30am so alas we were unable to visit the craters.

Fortunately our visit mostly concerned the March 1916 Actions of the the St Eloi Craters, so we were able to peer through the railings to see the site of The Mound of Death (destroyed March 1916), although a trip to the June !917 crater and the winter 1917/18 BEF bunker would have been of added interest.

We did get to see the two most interesting 1916 craters though, which was the main point of the visit. Crater 4 (of the six mines exploded in March 1916) used to be fully accessible although in a private garden, but is now fenced off. However it can still be seen (until the newly planted hedge grows that is - see photo), and there is a good view of Crater 5 (the one taken by Capt Billie Congreve) from the front gate of the next door property (ten years ago this was not visible at all, so this was a bonus - see photo). The much smaller Crater 6 still exists and can be clearly seen on Google Earth, but the farmer has barricaded the path so public access is not available (quite understandable since it is his land; its nice to know that he is preserving the crater).

William

IMG_5476.JPG.9a34375db8618f4c81612970966b5d73.JPG

Above: Crater 4, (March 1916) Actions of the St Eloi Craters, behind newly planted hedge

IMG_5471.JPG.b64cfd1406c26815f9eed8efb7493fd2.JPGCrater 5 (March 1916) Actions of the St Eloi Craters photographed through locked gate of private house.

Edited by WilliamRev