Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Access to St Eloi craters?

Michelle Young

• Admin

I believe I read there is a key pad code to get through the gate to access the craters, can anyone advise how I get hold of this please?

Thank you, Michelle

Hi Michelle

It used to be you went to the Ypres Tourist Office to get the gate combination. Not done that for many years though.

Jim

• Admin

Thanks Jim actually going into Ypres wasn't on the agenda I may have to rethink

Michelle

Michelle - it is only a ten minute journey from the Tourist Office to Eloi - should be easy and parking is usually plentiful (except during the Saturday morning market).

Bob

• Admin

Does anyone know if I can email them for the information? I know it isn't far but we have a tight schedule that day.

Thanks Michelle

MIchelle you refer to craters in plural. The St Eloi craters can be a little confusing. The one behind the gate is a 1917 crater from the Battle of Messines June 1917. There are also two other craters on the road out to the south east from the April 1916 action when five mines were blown in the first use of tunnelling as a cordinated method of attack. One remains as a large water, and carp. filled pond. Access used to be straight off the road, in recent years a bungalow has been built next to the entrance but nobody has objected to us entering. The second is just further along surrounded by trees fenced off as someones holiday retreat. It used to be waterlogged but was dry last time I could glimpse ot 2 or 3 years ago. There is a good aerial photo of the position of all craters in Before Endeavours Fade. If you are short of time and want to see another large 1917 crater nearby visit the Caterpillar next to Hill 60 Regards SG

• Admin

Thank you all for your help Gentlemen, much appreciated

Michelle

Thank you all for your help Gentlemen, much appreciated

Michelle

Michelle, right outside the gate is a notice board which includes the phone number of the tourist office. Phone them and they will give you the code. But be warned - when I was there 2 years ago there was a second, inner, gate which was locked (and required a key).

Keith

Michelle - I called in at the Tourist Office this morning to get the position clarified. It is still a keypad system. You simply telephone (0032 5723 9220) and ask them for the number (for the month of March it is 1570). They were not aware of any inner gate having to be unlocked.

Bob

No Norman, the one on the left amongst the houses. There is another small one just south of it (in the field), plus a dry craterfield to the right of it.

Keith

Michelle

Once through the gate there is a decking footpath on the right of this is the site of the No3 crater, the largest from the 25 March 1916 mines; it's often overlooked by visitors. This is before you get to the extant 1917 crater in the garden of the adjoining property.

There is also a well preserved bunker in the grounds if you follow the footpaths. I think it is of 1917 vintage.

Peter

It may be helpful if someone could post a map of the craters in question before it gets even more confusing.

Norman :w00t:

I was confused looking at Norman's map. The crater on the left (which I knew was there) is disguised by trees. The entrance is easy to see using street view. I always thought this crater was in someones's garden ... something else to see on my next visit

• Admin

Once again thank you all I will note the number Bob

Michelle

Paul -it is actually situated on the N336, Rijselseweg, which doesn't help much. However, it is almost opposite the road junction with Eekhofstraat and the N.336. The Eekhofstraat leads to the golf course at Palingbeke then on to Hollebeke.

Bob

The entrance is at the pushpin on the map. Co-ordinates (from Google Earth) are

Lat 50°48'33.13"N

Long 2°53'34.24"E

Keith

post-90858-0-38638800-1362921352_thumb.j

• 3 years later...

Is it still possible to access any of the craters at St Eloi - in particular those from 1916?

Many thanks

Neil

Yes and no. One as previously mentioned is located within the garden of a holiday or weekend home however it's neighbour is easy to visit. Just make sure you do not block off the access road as a coach did recently. Residents were not impressed! Best option is to park on the main road and walk in. :thumbsup:

Thanks Chris - so you can still see evidence of 1916 craters in Eekhofstraat but no longer get to the 1917 crater that used to be accessible via the gate with the key pad?

Neil

You can still visit the remains of the June 1917 crater via key pad access. Code required as previously stated. At least 3 or 4 of the March 1916 dedicated craters still exist, sites of others are revealed on info boards also as previously revealed.

All 3 & possibly 4 remaining 1916 dedicated craters are on private property however the closest to the road immediately to the rear of the brick built electricty tower is available for visit provided respect to the land owner and properties access is maintained.