Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

one last "bullet" I.D.

wulfrik-the-wanderer

Probably the Act is aimed just at small arms ammunition, ie preventing the criminal use of AP rounds against body armour or vehicles (not that laws restrict criminals, obviously..), and on the assumption that no-one is going to start firing off tank rounds on the high street.

Mind you, wonder what happens if you design an AP small arms bullet that uses driving bands instead of a jacket? Is a driving band a very small jacket?

As I said, it is just an oddity of the Act. The actual prohibition in S.5(1A)(e) is:

(e)any ammunition for military use which consists in or incorporates a missile designed, on account of its having a jacket and hard-core, to penetrate armour plating, armour screening or body armour;

(my emphasis)

I presume the drafters thought there was little danger of you running into a bank with your 2 Pr. under your arm and blasting your way into the vault! (they obviously have never seen "Thunderbolt & Lightfoot")

Cheers

TonyE

As I said, it is just an oddity of the Act. The actual prohibition in S.5(1A)(e) is:

(e)any ammunition for military use which consists in or incorporates a missile designed, on account of its having a jacket and hard-core, to penetrate armour plating, armour screening or body armour;

(my emphasis)

I presume the drafters thought there was little danger of you running into a bank with your 2 Pr. under your arm and blasting your way into the vault! (they obviously have never seen "Thunderbolt & Lightfoot")

Cheers

TonyE

this is a stick up!.... now erm... hang on... wait there... I need to wheel in my 2pr anti-tank gun... give me a minute :thumbsup:

Probably the Act is aimed just at small arms ammunition, ie preventing the criminal use of AP rounds against body armour or vehicles (not that laws restrict criminals, obviously..), and on the assumption that no-one is going to start firing off tank rounds on the high street.

Mind you, wonder what happens if you design an AP small arms bullet that uses driving bands instead of a jacket? Is a driving band a very small jacket?

Plenty of those have been designed. Much more to the point (sorry) is a 7.62mm or .50BMG SLAP round (Saboted Light Armour Penetrator). It discards the plastic sabot at the muzzle and sends a tungsten penetrator down range. No jacket there!

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking for 13 mm ammo but being in Belgium means I can own this round with no paperwork whatsoever! The rifle is also obsolete here. Please let me know if anybody has any for sale? VMT

t3_zps65ad28d1.jpg