Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What's this German field piece?

Tom W.

Closer examination of the photo shows that these are Bavarians. The officer wears the M1915 simplified field jacket and the men wearing the M1916 blouse have the blue-and-white collar lace on the front edges of the collar. Bavarian artillerymen didn't use the flaming-bomb insignia, but you can see the "J.G." for "Infanteriegeshütze." Since the number is a single digit, I'd say this is Infantry Gun Battery No. 2.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

post-7020-0-16123700-1360276530_thumb.jp

post-7020-0-30153800-1360276541_thumb.jp

post-7020-0-49907600-1360276552_thumb.jp

Rheinmetall built a 7.7cm Infanteriegeschutz L/19.5 in the spring of 1918, this gun didn't get into front line service but I think there is a consensus that the first image

in this thread was from something like a service evaluation. The Krupp IG 18 also didn't get into service - only a few guns were completed by the Armistice. According

to Jaeger the IG 18 was used by the Reichswehr post-WW1.

Regards,

Charlie

Wheels behind the flat (ie no wheel bulge each side) shield is very distinctive and uncommon apart from with moutain guns/hows. Skoda 7.5 cm M15, 10 cm M16 and 10.5 cm M14 all have this feature. 7.5 has fat and stumpy barrel, 10cm has a noticeable muzzle flare, 10.5 has a distinct fat muzzle lip. Erhardt also produced moutain guns with wheels behind the shield, M 1912 7.5 cm L/19 looks a possible runner as does M1912 10.5 cm L/12. Austrian M8 and M10 10cm are also possibles.

Hi Tom, the presence of a British and French Beute-Panzer suggest the photo was taken at a training/test site. Attached is a document I made about Infanterie-Geschütze, it's in dutch and some of the photos are of poor quality but I hope it is helpful. Infanteriegeschütze.doc

Hi Tom, the presence of a British and French Beute-Panzer suggest the photo was taken at a training/test site. Attached is a document I made about Infanterie-Geschütze, it's in dutch and some of the photos are of poor quality but I hope it is helpful. Infanteriegeschütze.doc

According to your document, Infantry Gun Batteries 2, 5, 8, 10, 23, 24, 51 were Bavarian. The shoulder straps appear to show a single digit, so I'm betting 2, 5, or 8.