Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Field Hospitals in Westrozebeke (Flanders)

cwbuff

I'm interested in learning the location (or any information) on German aid stations or field hospitals in the Westrozebeke area of Flanders.

Westrozebeke was a bit too close to the front for a field hospital, but there have been many aid posts there.

• 2 weeks later...

I just learned in the Ypres Battlefields Forum that the church in Westrozebeke was a "field hospital." My wife's great grandfather is listed as being KIA at Pilckem, but was initially buried very close to the church in Westrozebeke. So I am thinking he may have been mortally wounded and was taken to the church where he died and then was buried near by. Perhaps the church was an aid station. Does that make sense?

The church was a "Lazarett", which I (in the Ypres Battlefields Forum) translated into Field Hospital. Perhaps ''aid station" would have been a better translation.

Roel

I have found two references to Lazarett in Westroosebeke, extracted from Verlustlisten; November 1914 and March 1916.

On the only German map I have (1917) Westroosebeke is right on the edge. The Lazarett is not marked although the Ehrenfriedhof is.

Although I don't read German, I believe this is from the catalogue of the Landesarchiv Baden-Wurttemberg and part of it is relevant:

M 660/300 Bü 19 Feldzug in Belgien 1914: Fotoalbum

Enthält v. a.:

Generalkommando des XXVI. Reserve-Korps; Armee-Oberkommando beim XXVI. Reserve-Korps; zerstörte Gebäude; Flüchtlinge auf dem Markplatz in Roulers; Soldatengräber auf dem Friedhof in Westroosebeke; Lazarett in der Kirche von Westroosebeke; Gefechtsstand in Westroosebeke; gefangene Franzosen (im Arbeitseinsatz); Tote; Soldatengrab bei Dixmuiden; Feldküche des Generalkommandos; Spitzenklöpplerin; Dorfbarbier

Phil

The soldier I have been researching, was buried in Westroosebeke at the time of his death and was reinterred in the Soldatenfriedhof in Langemark in the 1950s. In the history book of his regiment he is listed as having been killed at Pilkem 08 July 1917. Based on the regimental history, Pilkem was heavily bombarded during this part of July. I don't know and may never know if he was killed at Pilkem or died of wounds in an aid station near where he was initially buried in Westroosebeke. Would it have been normal for the Germans to bury soldiers 10km from where they were killed? Likewise, would an aid station in Westroosebeke be a logical place for a seriously wounded soldier to be evacuated to for treatment?

Can you give the name/unit of the soldier you are researching?

Roel

Reserve Grenadier Regiment Nr. 100. It was a Saxon unit in the 23rd Reserve Division.

From a report on the country in the rear of the enemy's lines 1917.

Westroosebeke

This village,which is important by reason of its inclusion in the enemy's rearmost line of defence, lies on the high ground 5 miles west of Roulers. It contains a number of two-storeyed houses and about 40 cellars. There is a strongly - built Church (now much damaged by shell fire) and two breweries. The best view is obtained from Nouvelle Brasserie Co-operative in V 12 a 3, 5. From here Clercken, Poperinghe, Hooglede and Roulers can be seen.

The soil is for most part sandy and dry. The country is hilly, with many small hollows. There are pave roads to Poelcapelle, Hooglede, Passchendaele, Vyfwegen & Roulers.

Miscellaneous Information

Billets---All the farms and buildings in the neighbourhood are occupied by troops. The civilian population has been evacuated.

There is a large trench-mortar and bombing school north of the village.

Headquarters--Overhead telegraph wires coming from the direction of Roulers, enter the chateau at 20 P 35 central. This may be the Divisional HQs known to exist in the neighbourhood of Westroosebeke.

Reserve Grenadier Regiment Nr. 100. It was a Saxon unit in the 23rd Reserve Division.

No name? Perhaps the Verlustliste mention anything about wounded or KIA.

Roel

The soldier's name was Edmund Weber.

Westroosebeke

This village,which is important by reason of its inclusion in the enemy's rearmost line of defence, lies on the high ground 5 miles west of Roulers. It contains a number of two-storeyed houses and about 40 cellars. There is a strongly - built Church (now much damaged by shell fire) and two breweries. The best view is obtained from Nouvelle Brasserie Co-operative in V 12 a 3, 5. From here Clercken, Poperinghe, Hooglede and Roulers can be seen.

The soil is for most part sandy and dry. The country is hilly, with many small hollows. There are pave roads to Poelcapelle, Hooglede, Passchendaele, Vyfwegen & Roulers.

Miscellaneous Information

Billets---All the farms and buildings in the neighbourhood are occupied by troops. The civilian population has been evacuated.

There is a large trench-mortar and bombing school north of the village.

Headquarters--Overhead telegraph wires coming from the direction of Roulers, enter the chateau at 20 P 35 central. This may be the Divisional HQs known to exist in the neighbourhood of Westroosebeke.

Just to add... 2 German cemeteries in Westroosebeke and one PoW cage....(incidentally, later in 1917, the church had a hutment of some sort actually built inside the ruins of it).

post-357-0-55907400-1360068041_thumb.jpg

I see the label for the cemetery in the lower right corner. But I don't see the crosses that indicate its location. Can you help locate it?

just above the first 'h' in 'Ehren..' (it's only a small cemetery). Here's a clearer shot from a different trenchmap.....

post-357-0-53597200-1360074806_thumb.jpg

I see it - that is really a small one.

Just to add... 2 German cemeteries in Westroosebeke and one PoW cage....

I see a third Ehren Friedhof on this map, in the center ("Ehr Frd")

Roel

Yes; the church is right next to "Westroosebeke 667" on the map.

Roel

The small one was near Heidengut and wasn't in use any more in 1917.

The one near the church was probably not used any more in 1917 as well.

Edmund Weber was probably buried in the one noth east from the church (alongside the current Provinciebaan). This cemtery, Westrozebeke Ehrenfriedhof II, was begun in 1917 and enlarged after the war.

It is very likely that he was taken back by his comrades if he died at the front, he may have died on the way to an aid post or hospital as well. It is not unusual for the Germans to bring their dead back to the rear areas, where they could be buried outside of the reach of most guns (at least for the moment). F.i. in 1918, a lot of the German dead from the fighting near Kemmel or Wijtschate were taken back to be buried in Moorsele (which took app. 25-30 km).

Do you have a location for Westrozebeke Ehrenfriedhof II in latitude/longitude?

Better yet is this location correct?

Latitude 50°56'9.71"N

Longitude 3° 1'7.38"E

It is the green arrow on this link

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=50%C2%B056'9.71%22N,+3%C2%B0+1'7.38%22E&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=50.936026,3.018708&spn=0.00906,0.022724&sll=50.934917,3.019717&sspn=0.00906,0.022724&t=h&z=16

How close do you want it?

I don't have the fancy stuff, but from a basic Google Earth overlay of Dave's map and rounded to the nearest second:

50deg 56min 9sec North

3deg 1min 3sec East

50.935833, 3.017500

Phil

I think I was editing my response with the lat/lon and link while you were responding. We are in agreement on the location. Do any photos exist of this cemetery from 1917 to 1950?

I also added the metric version while you were posting. I appear to be slightly SW of you. I'm sure one of the Linesman experts will put us straight.

post-20576-0-64344600-1360103360_thumb.j

This is the usual postcard of it. I've not found one of it yet in its contemporary form.

Phil

I have seen this photograph (above) before, but it only identified it as in Westrozebeke and not as Ehrenfriedhof II. Based on Google Earth, it looks like this area is now built-up. The photograph below must be of the cemetery closest to the church in the center of town. Can any of the buildings in the background be identified with buildings that exist today?

post-71339-0-99354800-1360105157_thumb.j