Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Odd Looking 3/4 Overcoat

tn.drummond

I was surprised to read in the diaries about battalion tailors and shoemakers that were with them overseas. They made the kilts etc. I don't know if the English Battalions had such arrangements and I can only assume that if they went to France with them then they were with them during training. Under such arrangements perhaps they also took on requests for modifications if the individual was willing to pay?

Each infantry battalion was established for a full time tailor who, when on the home establishent, also had 'boy' assistants (effectively apprentices), as did the cobbler. The tailors and cobblers deployed with the battalion to war, but the boys did not generally go, as they were officially registered as underage (much to their chagrin). Images of these tailors operating in front line conditions, albeit at rear echelon, can be seen. They were always busy!

Frogsmile thank you for that information. I was just under the impression that they had a Divisional store and requisitions came from a central repository. As I said in my previous, I supposed that in quieter periods or in their own time,they might take on 'private arrangements'.

The coat made for Iraq conditions by the Sutlers Stores had two slanted lower pockets. I can't remember if it was double breasted or not but I seem to recollect that the buttons were hidden as in this example. Returning to teh picture the other odd thing is that it had no shoulder straps. Could it be a private purchase, shortened copy of a French greatcoat (which frequently had chest pockets)? It looks like it may have been a rather nice bit of kit.

Regards

Greg

More questions than answers I'm afraid Greg - many thanks for the suggestion.

Tim

As all Battalions had a number of bicycles on strength if not complete Cyclist sections, I wonder if it is a cyclist coat. The standard greatcoat could catch in the wheels and get dirty, the shortend coat would be a good alternative.

As all Battalions had a number of bicycles on strength if not complete Cyclist sections, I wonder if it is a cyclist coat. The standard greatcoat could catch in the wheels and get dirty, the shortend coat would be a good alternative.

Cyclist units were issued with the short, 'mounted pattern' greatcoat, which was double breasted, to cater for that situation. It was also issued to motorcyclists and the drivers of lorries with open cabs.

The coat made for Iraq conditions by the Sutlers Stores had two slanted lower pockets. I can't remember if it was double breasted or not but I seem to recollect that the buttons were hidden as in this example. Returning to teh picture the other odd thing is that it had no shoulder straps. Could it be a private purchase, shortened copy of a French greatcoat (which frequently had chest pockets)? It looks like it may have been a rather nice bit of kit.

Regards

Greg

Greg the Guthrie overcoat was single breasted, had no shoulder straps and a fly front. Pockets were generally slanted with rectangular flaps, but as mentioned previously could be positioned as desired. It was extremely warm not only because of its heavy woollen cloth but also as a result of its full woollen lining.