Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Howard Williamson's books

davidckahn

Morning Everyone,Volume 3 of the Companion is due back from the printers today and orders will be posted over the next week in time for Christmas Day.

Thanks for the offer of MM PHOTOS ,all are welcome to add to the Gallery. Citations or other info relating to the deed are also very helpful.

We have currently sold most of our bound Companion Volume 2s, and will bind the last few early in the new year.

Volume 1 has sold over 3,400 copies,the last few are currently being sold at a discount as they are largely those with minor imperfections to the covers

There are only 1200 copies of Vol 3 owing to shortage of funds.

Please note ALL proceeds from the books go towards the typing costs of the MM Roll,and the storage and conservation costs of the original cards.

Any further information PM me. best w, Howard

THE BEAST HAS LANDED,CE'ST MAGNIFIQUE !!!!!! First copies go in the morning. best w, Howard

My copy arrived safely on Monday. I have always wanted to engage in the Black Art of understanding WW1 soldiers' serial numbers, and whilst I don't think that I have a full understanding yet, I realise that with Williamson's help, the Sorting Hat has me firmly ensconced in Slytherin.... :devilgrin:

William

A very good starting point is Paul Nixon's blog. http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.uk/

MHS ran a five -parter on Line Infantry numbering which is said to be rather good.

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered a copy from via amazon which I think is direct from the author. If it is and he sees this before it is posted it would be greatly appreciated if he could sign it please?

I've just received my copy of Volume 3. A magnificent work of research! I can't wait for Volume 4. Can you give any indication when this will be completed, please.

Mike

Thank you Mike,very kind of you,your comments are much appreciated.

Volume 4 will I hope be out by Christmas and will cover the Tank Corps and RAMC possibly more.(Labour Corps,Women's Units) It is about half written at the moment.The Tank section is in the same depth as the RE Section in Vol III. I am currently working on the Annotated DCM Roll, which I hope will also be out by the end of the year; as well as the MM Roll due for 2016, which Chris and I have been doing for nearly 20 years now. best wishes, Howard

There are only 1200 copies of Vol 3 owing to shortage of funds.

Can I just ask one question, volume 3 has a run of 1200, then how come mine is numbered 1724?

That isn't a complaint, it is a very nice book.

Mick

MICK,1724 IS YOUR COLLECTORS GUIDE REFERENCE NUMBER. WE FELT OUR MANY LOYAL CUSTOMERS MIGHT LIKE THE SAME NUMBER IN EACH BOOK SO WE USED THE ORIGINAL VOL 1 BOOK NUMBER AS OUR REFERENCE NUMBER FOR VOLS 2 AND 3,EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE ONLY 2000 VOLUME 2s AND 1200 VOL 3s.IT IS ALSO VERY HELPFUL TO US IN THE EVENT OF A QUERY FROM YOU,AS WE CAN FIND YOU AND CONTACT YOU QUICKLY.SOME HOWEVER HAVE DIFFERENT NUMBERS ESPECIALLY IF BOUGHT FROM DEALERS RATHER THAN DIRECT FROM US,OR HAVE BLANK BOXES FOR YOU TO PUT YOUR REFERENCE NUMBER IN ;(USE A THIN POINT BLACK GEL PEN) THIS IS OF COURSE EQUALLY VALID. IF ALL THIS SEEMS A BIT MAD ,IT IS !!! THANKS FOR SUPPORTING THE MM ROLL MICK. BEST W, HOWARD

• 9 months later...

Good afternoon Howard

Could I have some progress on Volume 4 please.

In addition how are the DCM & MM publications coming along

Many thanks

Mike

• 1 year later...

I understand the monumental nature of the work, so please do not assume I am ignorant or disrespectful.....but when is the Military Medal book or DVD coming out? It has been over 20 years since I was first told about this.

Edited by yellow

On 2015-1-9 at 11:24, Jerry B said:

I just ordered a copy from via amazon which I think is direct from the author. If it is and he sees this before it is posted it would be greatly appreciated if he could sign it please?

It arrived signed and numbered, absolutely brilliant book.