Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Howard Williamson's books

davidckahn

I am a novice medal collector and am trying to get some books to help me out. I currently live in Bosnia and make frequent visits into Central Europe where I regularly visit antique shops to browse the medals. I was thinking I would benefit from investing in Williamson's "Collector and Researcher's Guide" or "Collector's Companion."

From looking at the covers of the books, it looks like "Companion" deals only in British medals, but online searches do not confirm this. "Researcher's Guide" seems to cover more than just the British, but I'm hoping someone can clarify for me what countries these two books cover. Given my geographical disposition, I do not run across many medals from the UK or Western Europe, and would like to know before dropping $100+ on each of these books if they will be useful in medal-hunting. Presently, my focus is on the Interallied Victory Medal (I know these are easy to find but, like I said, I am a beginner), but am looking to educate myself so that I can begin some new strategies.

Would these books be worth buying, given my location and interests? If not, are there any others you can recommend?

I actually looked at that and was planning to buy it until it struck me that it seems to be only about British medals. There are various terms and acronyms in the description that, as a novice, I am not familiar with, but nothing that I see looks identifiably un-British to my as yet untrained eye. I am holding out hope that someone will tell me it includes medals from all the countries involved, given that the book's title seems to imply that.

I have them both in front of me now and much of the work is duplicated but the Collectors Companion is the better book in my opinion.

What you might find useful is the Medal Yearbook, it gives a comprehensive index to the publication Medal News from 1989 to date. Unfortunately I skipped 20 years worth of the magazines not long ago but there were certainly articles on your subject of Allied Victory medals, you can then look out for the relevent copies which are often sold on ebay.

it looks like "Companion" deals only in British medals,

Howard's "Great War Medal Collector's Companion" is indeed only for British (and allied) medals. If that is your interest, its an excellent reference book.

Jon

Ah, the "and allied" makes a difference. Does that mean it includes all the allies (even the relatively minor ones like Japan and Brazil) or only the major ones, such as France and the US?

No, it means our allies of the Commonwealth, you won't find any info on 'foreign' awards in The great war Medal Collectors Companion.

Oops, sorry - Yes, commonwealth only (I should have been more specific!)

It is still though an excellent resource.

The Great War Collectors Companion is a mighty book, both in weight, information and illustrations.

But it is the best indepth study you will ever buy, if you collect British First World War medals.

It is a good book to constantly dip in and out off.

For an older but wider view of WW1 medals you could try:

Alec A Purves The Medals, Decorations and Orders of the Great War 1914-1918 (Publ. J.B.Hayward/Savannah, 1975, 1989 edns)

or even the old standby

H.Taprell Dorling Ribbons and Medals (various editions from 1916 to 1974; later in association with L.F.Guille). This covers many countries and periods.

Clive

• 1 year later...

I have a copy and it is a very well researched tome giving a tremendous wealth of knowledge regarding various appointments that are present of the M.IC'S as well as army number for various units.It does compliment the first volume well and a nice early Christmas pressie.

Thank you Terrier for those kind words ! We have currently sold 1200 copies in the past 3 weeks and have around 300 left. Vol 3 is out in December I hope .best w, Howard

It will be included in "WIILIAMSONS GUIDE TO COLLECTING THE GREAT WAR " This book contains collector info and price guides on WW1 COLLECTABLES INCLUDING :MEDALS ,DEACT WEAPONS,BAYONETS,HELMETS ,EQUIPMENT,TRENCH ART, MUNITIONS ETC.BOOK PLANNED FOR 2017 BEING PUT TOGETHER ALREADY. Best w, Howard

Eek! The fact that there was a Williamson vol. 2 out had nearly escaped my notice - I have just now ordered a copy, and made a total mess of my careful resolution not to buy any more books this month :whistle:

William

• 2 weeks later...

You won't regret it William - its another cracking reference book from Howard with new material along with additional info to clarify and add to the material in the first volume

Jon

My copy arrived safely on Monday. I have always wanted to engage in the Black Art of understanding WW1 soldiers' serial numbers, and whilst I don't think that I have a full understanding yet, I realise that with Williamson's help, the Sorting Hat has me firmly ensconced in Slytherin.... :devilgrin:

William

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Howard,

As December is nearly upon us can you tell me if your Volume III will be ready for next month? I've had a few people ask me where they can buy it and what the title of the book is. Is this your MM book? Can anyone place a pre-order with you?

Thank you.

Hi,Howard here.Volume 3 is currently at the binders.It is expected back on 8th December in time for Christmas !!! Due to parlous finances I have only been able to print 1,200 copies.Contents in a nutshell are :

*CHAPTER 1 ;HISTORY, BATTLES AND ENGAGEMENTS,AND BADGE OF EACH OF THE BRITISH ARMY DIVISIONS THAT FOUGHT IN THE GREAT WAR.

*CHAPTER 2 : LOCATIONS OF ALL THE BATTALIONS OF THE BRITISH ARMY IN WW1,NOTING:DATES AND PLACES LANDED; BATTLE HONOURS,BRIGADE, DIVISION AND THEATRE OF WAR SERVED IN.ALL MOVEMENT CHANGES RECORDED.(ALSO FOR CAVALRY AND YEOMANRY)

*CHAPTER 3 MY OMRS GOLD MEDAL WINNING STUDY OF THE UNITS OF THE RE IN THE GREAT WAR,INCLUDING INDIVIDUAL UNITS LOCATIONS AND DATES OF ENTRY TO THEATRES OF WAR,EACH INDIVIDUAL UNITS BATTLE HONOURS,NOTES ON REGIMENTAL NUMBERING REFINING THAT FOUND IN VOL 2,DUTIES AND HISTORY OF ALL UNITS AND MUCH MORE.PROFUSELY ILLUSTRATED IN B and W PHOTOS.ALL PREVIOUSLY UNPUBLISHED MATERIAL.

*CHAPTER4:LOCATIONS AND HISTORIES OF MGC UNITS, WITH DISEMBARKATION DATES. BRIEF HISORY OF THE CORPS ,ITS EQUIPMENT AND TACTICS IN WW1.

*CHAPTER 5:SAME FOR ARMY CYCLIST CORPS.

BOOK IS 576 PAGES , HB,SECTION SEWN,WITH 3 COLOUR SECTIONS.OTHER DETAILS EMAIL ME AT howard@williamson2844.fsnet.co.uk

PLEASE NOTE ALL PROCEEDS FROM THE BOOK GO TOWARDS THE PRODUCTION COSTS OF THE MM ROLL DUE OUT END OF 2016.

BEST W, HOWARD

Howard,

are you still needing photographs of M.M. winners and associated paperwork for the Military Medal book? If so, please send me a personal message,

Simon

Howard,

are you still needing photographs of M.M. winners and associated paperwork for the Military Medal book? If so, please send me a personal message,

Simon

Me too Howard.

Lionboxer

I am a novice medal collector and am trying to get some books to help me out. I currently live in Bosnia and make frequent visits into Central Europe where I regularly visit antique shops to browse the medals. I was thinking I would benefit from investing in Williamson's "Collector and Researcher's Guide" or "Collector's Companion."

Presently, my focus is on the Interallied Victory Medal (I know these are easy to find but, like I said, I am a beginner), but am looking to educate myself so that I can begin some new strategies.

H

Hi there, saw you request, the main book for information on the Victory Medal is; The interallied victory medals of World War I by Alexander J. Laslo, Dorado Publishing, Albuquerque. 1986 Edition. It gives detailed information on all the countries who issued Victory Medals, such as Cuba, Japan, designs etc. Also a good section about the bars which are particular to the American medal.