Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Derby Scheme 'volunteers' - choice of regiment

Jim Hastings

In my study of local men who served it is surprising how many attested in December 1915 but then appealed to the local Tribunal, often several times. The newspaper reports of the Tribunal proceedings do not seem to mention those who had already voluntarily signed up and they appear to have been treated the same as those who were required to serve by the Act. Curious.

Once the Military Service Act came into force, the Tribunals were required to deal with all applicants within the terms of the Act, and the fact of a man having previously attested under the Derby Scheme was merely a piece of background information to be taken into account.

On 02/04/2015 at 01:21, ChasMalmesbury said:

I've searched the web for a copy of the letter given to all eligible men in October/November 1915 or the text thereof without success. The closest I've come is references to the Times Recruitment Supplement of 3 November 1915 but haven't been to the library yet to view this.

Has anyone got a copy? Was it signed by Lord Derby or were the letters printed locally?

In my study of local men who served it is surprising how many attested in December 1915 but then appealed to the local Tribunal, often several times. The newspaper reports of the Tribunal proceedings do not seem to mention those who had already voluntarily signed up and they appear to have been treated the same as those who were required to serve by the Act. Curious.

Charles

Type Derby Scheme into Google and click on images. Quite a few documents. One might be the one you are looking for...

Many thanks to you all. Still no readily available copy of the letter - my search will continue! If I ever come across one I'll post a copy.

Charles

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I can tell, the Derby Scheme 'Short Service' attestation forms differed from those previously by the addition of a box titled 'Card No.' in the top right corner and reference is made in question 11 to "The Royal Warrant dated 20 Oct 1915". The card No. is obviously from the Pink/Blue/White system as explained on the Wiki page for Derby Scheme. These features are the clearest indication to me that a man attested under the Derby Scheme.

The questions are...

What was this Royal Warrant?

Could the Derby scheme have started on 15th Oct if the Royal Warrant wasn't signed until 20 Oct?

Could a man sign up under the Derby Scheme if he hadn't completed the pink card in the summer survey of 1915? Reason for this question is I'm researching an underage soldier who looks to have attested under the scheme and been mobilised with the 23 years olds on 8 Feb 1916.

As far as choice is concerned, question 9 on the att. form asks if the recruit is willing to be enlisted for general service, suggesting that they were intended to be sent wherever.

However, if you look at the records of 22589 Percy Couper Hampshire Regiment there is a letter from the CO Hants to CO RGA Depot 2 Gosport asking if they will take this man as when he attested under the Derby Scheme, he showed a preference for the RGA but was assigned to Hampshire Regt. causing disappointment. He did transfer.

Regards

Alan.

post-7376-0-53880800-1430513812_thumb.jp

The Royal Warrant as mentioned.

post-7376-0-66405200-1430513925_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

Hi

I have read with interest all the above regarding the Derby Scheme, which I believe my grandfather signed up for. I have a photograph of him wearing an armband and a badge in his

lapel, so am assuming it was taken when 18 years old (he was 18 on 17 November 1915). My question is this, does anyone know if records were kept of the attestation papers, or

originals kept, if so where? Or was it all done locally? My grandfather was recorded living in Chepstow in 1911 Census moving to Newport by 1918. As you can probably see my

knowledge of the Derby Scheme is very little, so any help would be gratefully received.

As often said on this site, if you give the man's name and regimental number if known you will receive better quality answers.

Service records are available online for about 40% of men.

Let us have the details you know already and see what comes up.

It may be advisable to start a new thread in Soldiers part of the forum.

Alan.