Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 1st Baker Pal Wounded in Action!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

But Egbert, that is just too easy, especially for Ian! No, it cannot be that simple. I suppose we must put this before Bonecrusher again!

Defence? In my court? I thought this was a court martial, in which case you haven't got anything to say and no one to say anything for you.

In the circumstances, I think that the most feared punishment would be to be prevented from attending the 1st Forum Users dinner by being tied to a stake outside the window and made to watch everyone else having a good time!

Perhaps I can be generous this time and just commute sentence to a detailed report at the earliest opportunity on events tomorrow night . In triplicate, mind.

A honey-dewed Bonecrusher L J

Put up against the Cloth Hall as target practice for drunken hooligans with empty beer bottles (if such people are ever to be seen in Ypres)

Seen 'em, and (ahem!) probably been accused of being one of them! :ph34r: .

Got to admit ,it's a good feeling walking over the ramparts at 2am, after spending the night swilling beer with a bunch of Club Brugge fans after a particularly good win over Anderlecht! (I didn't know that I could sing in Flemish!!!!!!).

Dave

:D

Well, the more or less SIW of Ian was quite a popular theme of conversation on Saturday (together with the Peugeot choke tube of Tom Morgan) and nobody really understood how you could be wounded by a bayonet in the foot, exept if you were playing with the bayonet like you can see in the movie "The Lighthorsemen".

Jan

Ian,

ignore the other ladies of the forum - I think they are taking out on you beacause they were not going to the dinner, or maybe I'm feeling mellow after a weekend of sunshine - you will not be put up against the Cloth Hall unless you repeat the incident. I have to report you are no longer alone.

I know of two other Baker Pals who were involved in unfortunate incidents this weekend.

Forum dinner discretion prevents me from naming names but a lawnmower was involved in one and a toilet brush in the other. Fortunatley in both cases pride was the only injury!

I, too, have the unhappy task of reporting two injuries sustained by myself :(

1. Sunburned baldie bit (yeah, I know it's self-inflicted!)

2. Stuck my thumb with a thorn whilst walking the Culloden battlefield. I don't think the men of Clan Chattan would have been impressed with my whimpering!

The sun was shining in Belgium too. Brian was so blinded by the sun he failed to see the lawnmover in Passendale cemetary until it hit him.

Oooooops!

now that is wounded in action - the lawnmower I mean!

Lesley was you driving or making a three-point turn on the lawnmower at the time?

ps Thanks for the lift back to Ypres Sat night/Sunday morning!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

OK - You all wanted the gory bit so here goes!

I was handling the said bayonet which had been greased. Some residual grease was on the handle and it slipped through my hand, went straight through my shoe and landed between my big and second toe on my right foot cutting clean through the skin 'webbing'. As I was standing on a parquet floor it pinned my foot to the ground! It has taken six stitches, anti biotics (NO ALCOHOL - could have been worse as I am only half Irish :lol: ).

It was careless & I have paid the price.

Ian :ph34r:

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Egbert,

There's no denying designed by German craftsman, possibly involved in one of the World's greatest conflicts, stored for 85 years, resprted with care..........then handled by an idiot :D

Well as they say in the Ronseal adverts 'it does what it says on the tin'!

Ian

:lol:

There are some very strange devices in Belgium,that pass for toilets.

I think they need to give us Englishmen and women,a small training guide on arrival.

Next time i see you,Lesley,i will tell you of the experience that Mark and myself had at a sports cafe in Villers-Bretonneux.

It was scary to say the least.

Hope they didn't mind me laughing out aloud.

Very romanesque,the toilet arrangements!!.

All the best.

Simon.

Simon,

you had your first encounter with a French toilet?

If it was anything like my encounter last year, God help him. The details are definately not for a forum posting - suffice to say I avoid them at all costs.

Cheers

We in Flanders know the French and we are fully aware of the dangers lurking in their toilets, so we take precautions and select the cafés we visit...

Did you know the French had even worse toilet habits in WW1? I won't elaborate this in public but there are numerous accounts from Allied soldiers, German soldiers and civilians about the lack of hygiene and (even basic) tidiness of the French in general...

Jan

I read somewhere a story, the gist of it was that an officer (British) was grading the state of the each combatant countries Trenches, The French came last ?

Sorry for the late posting, but we hve just returned from a trip to the Somme.

I think we need to bring this thread out of the toilet for a moment, where Brian can leave the brush. To business (wish I hadn't said that!!)

Cynthia the Bloodthirsty, you are hereby proclaimed Lady High Executioner by Forum decree; however you may have to provide the last breakfast, though you could always ask Charlotte to oblige. As for the rusty nursing, don't worry, that will do fine. Your axe awaits; Brian has been cleaning it with the toilet brush.

However, since Lady High Executioner Cynthia the Bloodthirsty takes a while to type, I wonder if I may call you Cynthia Bloodaxe in social situations?

Ian, I hope you are on the mend. However, I'm still not convinced. My guess is that you were trying your hand at a circus act - you know, the one where you throw knives at someone pinned to a barn door. It went horribly wrong didn't it? Cynthia has the tools for the job.

Brian & Lesley - lovely to get together at Le Tommy on Sunday and hear a little of Saturday night's do.

All this toilet talk reminds me of a saying that I once heard in Holland.

The Dutch say that it was the Belgians who invented the toilet seat, but it was the dutch who invented the hole in it!!! :D

Dave