Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W.W.1 German 13mm Anti-Tank Rifle

juno-44

I have played with/fired several of the modern bolt action .50 calibre rifles over recent years, and whilst some could be said to be based on the Mauser system none that I have seen would fit a T-Gewehr. (Barrett, McMillan etc) even in unfinished form.

Seadog - there is a thriving Fifty Calibre Shooters Association here in the UK.

Regards

TonyE

• 2 months later...

t1_zps821f69ef.jpg

Just to add some visual content. I am looking for the 13 mm round for display purposes and of cse the elusive ammo pouch.

How many T gewehrs were made?

Mark

t1_zps821f69ef.jpg

Just to add some visual content. I am looking for the 13 mm round for display purposes and of cse the elusive ammo pouch.

Mark

One source says 15,800.

http://www.militaryf...mallarms_id=452

Your photo shows an antitank course; the men are pioneers, so they wouldn't have been issued T-Gewehr, but they were trained to operate them for when they were attached to an infantry unit. They hold concentrated charges and a wooden antitank mine with a pressure plate on top. On the table is a much larger antitank mine.

I have played with/fired several of the modern bolt action .50 calibre rifles over recent years, and whilst some could be said to be based on the Mauser system none that I have seen would fit a T-Gewehr. (Barrett, McMillan etc) even in unfinished form.

25 years ago I apprenticed for someone making .50 caliber rifles based on the .55 Boys AT Rifles (using M2 heavy barrels lathed down to the Boys barrel profile), for competition against the (then-new) Barrett. My boss owned a T-Gewehr and I saw several single shots that where Mauser-inspired, obviously one-off labors of love.

Edited by Story

• 3 weeks later...

Tom thanks for the reply. I have popped into the Brussels Museum which is superb abd did a bit of research. It seems there were 2 models of AT rifle. The first 300 or so produced had a much shorter barrel but none are known to exist today, after that the standard model became the norm. I am looking for the rounds to display with a rifle but as we know the ammo pouch is hard to find, and presumably the clips to hold the rds together. Any leads much appreciated.

Mark

t1_zps821f69ef.jpg

Mark

Pouch? I thought they used carry bags, as illustrated on your two gunners and here

Mauser T-Gewehr - WWI German anti-tank rifle on transport cart, captured by Canadians September 1918 - Achives Canada image (retouched)

Also, since it was a single shot weapon clips would have not been needed.

Although I haven't had time to do any research, interestingly in Mauser Bolt Rifles by Ludwig Olson (3rd Edition) at page 217 there is a drawing of a T-Gewehr with the caption:

"Repeater version of Mauser anti-tank rifle features box magazine and a buttplate with springs to absorb recoil"

Similarly, in German Weapons, Uniforms, Insignia 1841-1918 by Major James E Hicks at page 28 he says of the T-Gewehr :

"A few, later, were made multi-charger".

Regards,

Michael H.

• 10 months later...

I am desperate to locate 13 mm tank rounds and T Gewehr but have been spurned on by this beauty, owned by a French collector. He let me take a few photos and he has he rare ammo bag/pouch.

Please help me! :thumbsup:

DSC09968_zps19c81ed7.jpg[/url]