Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Never give up looking for medals etc

Cameron2165

I would've kept this pair to a 2/5th Lincs man, but seeing the bits n bobs he had of his rellies service time in WW1 and 2, the photos, the letters and the care with which he kept them, it just seemed 'right'. Plus the look on his face when he recognised them.......they are safe enough with him and his family, the collection will be kept together.

I see his daughters around the village, having been at school with one of them, we speak quite alot. She told me he was thrilled to get them back after they had disappeared so many years ago.

Some families, as we see on a regular basis, are not so caring.

DW

i reunited a family last night with one memorial plaque, one a3 charcoal drawing of casualty framed, postcards, photos of granparents etc and scroll.

They seemed thrilled

To be honest, I would rather see medals that have been 'in the field' for years stay with collectors rather than go to a family whose interest may be fleeting or likely to break up a group.

khaki

Hi Khaki,

I do agree with you to a certain extent, but I would just hope that any family having medals returned to them would treasure them as I mentioned in post 21.

Regards

Cam

i reunited a family last night with one memorial plaque, one a3 charcoal drawing of casualty framed, postcards, photos of granparents etc and scroll.

They seemed thrilled

Hi,

How did that come about, did you go looking for them?

Regards

Cam.

I was given the material several years ago, the member of the family had no children and I tried museums and non-wanted them. Out of the blue following an appeal for another project a different line of the family contacted me just on the off chance to see I knew anything about the casualty. One thing let to another...

I was given the material several years ago, the member of the family had no children and I tried museums and non-wanted them. Out of the blue following an appeal for another project a different line of the family contacted me just on the off chance to see I knew anything about the casualty. One thing let to another...

How lucky were they? As always I hope they look after it all.

All the best

Cam.

Nice one, T56.

Always good to here of that sort of thing happening :thumbsup:

D

Nice one, Tim!

What a cracking read and site!

I'll get back to that in the morning.

Dick

Cheers Dick. There are still some long outstanding medals listed (a few to WW1 UK recipients). Generally ones which have reached a dead end. If you have access to any local sources and can marry any up with family please contact Glyn.

This forum helped me get my Grandad's Victory Medal back - lost when he died in Brighton in 1976 - his 2nd wife must have let it go.

A guy in Washington DC saw my blog and contacted me as he had purchased it on Ebay recently from another guy in Miami. I never found out how it got there, but I got it back.

Thanks Forum !!

Although I am not a massive user of this forum I have been contacted on two occasions by family members of chaps items I have, once a memorial plaque another a trio.

Totally stunned both times that after all these years and the millions of medals awarded this could happen.

Also I sold a war medal to a chap once who 10 years earlier had purchased the same mans victory medal and a few years later found the star then made up the trio with my war medal, so yes the message is clear........... DON'T GIVE UP SEARCHING

Andu

Although I am not a massive user of this forum I have been contacted on two occasions by family members of chaps items I have, once a memorial plaque another a trio.

Totally stunned both times that after all these years and the millions of medals awarded this could happen.

Also I sold a war medal to a chap once who 10 years earlier had purchased the same mans victory medal and a few years later found the star then made up the trio with my war medal, so yes the message is clear........... DON'T GIVE UP SEARCHING

Andu

Hi Andy,

You seem to be a lucky fella to know. If you come accross a 14/15 Trio to 19286 Pte N Powell RWF, could you let me know please :w00t:

Merry Christmas

Cam

I don't know if anybody has answered this question.

As far as I know, nobody in the family has my great grandfather's medals or scroll.my great grandmother wrote a terse letter to the wo asking where the scroll was. I would hate to think some stranger has the medals. I'm just wondering if anyone could give me tips on where I might fnd them.

Auctions? The regiment museum? Obviously I would pay the market rate for them.

I sense this might be a lifetime's work that probably could be fruitless. My great grandmother could have been buried with them!

Mdarbycharles you could start a topic with the name of the person you are looking for place of birth etc and see what comes back

Hi,

Yes it was the Medal forum in the link.

I think Trevor was saying to post the details on this Forum aswell.

Good luck with the hunt

Cam.

The more forums a person posts on the better, in regards to locating items such as medals. It is also necessary though to follow up on the forums. I have seen many times where a person asks for information, whereabouts of items etc, only to never reply or check back with the forum posts.

I recommend, after making the request, subscribe to the topic so you are made aware of replies. On a few occasions I have had or knew the location of items people were looking for, only to have the person never check up on the original request.

Yes , i would say never give up looking for medals that were awarded to family members, medals do turn up in the strangest of places i have found them at car boot sales and yard sales in the past and you never know where it might take you , i found a really lovely victory medal to the Notts and Derby regiment about a two years ago at a car boot sale it had been in this chaps family for years and im sure the medal has never been cleaned it has the darkest colour ive ever seen on a victory medal it has a lovely feel to it ( that sounds a bit geeky i know) i asked the chap if he had any other military related items he said he had some photos of his Uncle that served at Arnhem he hadnt seen them for years and there was no one left in the family to hand them down to , so he said hed take a look , the next time i saw him he had the photos with him four in total one great colour touched up portrait two smaller portraits and an original group photo of the 2nd battalion south staffordshire regiment it was a photo taken of the survivors of the battalion on there return to england in the photo was the chaps uncle.

I am still looking for my great uncles medals , Henry william Griffin 1st class stoker 8752 died at the battle of jutland may 31st 1916 on HMS invincible , i have a beautiful private death scroll with his photo on it but no medals any one out there with any information i would love to hear from you i live in hope .

keep looking out there chaps medals do get reunited .

I have four Close relatives who were in the great war.re my signature,

Which includes along with the usual 3 great war medals for each of them, a SWB a MM and a MID..... Sadly I haven't got one to cherish.But you never know ,maybe some day one of them might turn up :mellow: